Translate

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Muffins

 


This song is called "Pumpkin" and is about Seabiscuits companion horse, Pumpkin.  Sorry it was either this or Jay and the Techniques, because other than the little kid 5 little pumpkins this was the only pumpkinish song I remembered. I actually did not think I would find it on Youtube. Finally my nerdism pays off.

I was preparing for our beach weekend and had just about decided I would say to heck with keto for the trip. Then I remembered how bad the leg cramps can be when you overdo, and if I went off I definitely would overdo the carbs. Instead I decided I would bake me a few "treats" just to help me resist some of the things that will probably be there.

I know this will come as no surprise to regular readers, but one of the first things TheHub likes to do when we get to the beach is go to the grocery store. I have a very concise list of things to buy, like milk and eggs. But he will go with me and it is a whole new recreational shopping venue for him. No telling what will wind up in the buggy (southernism for grocery carts), so I am prepared to hopefully avoid temptation.

I had a can of pumpkin that was nearing  past its best use by date, so I felt obligated to use it. Honestly is was not what I wanted since I am not a pumpkin fanatic, but I had everything on hand to whip them up, so why not?



Low Carb Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

For the muffin;
4 eggs
1 egg white
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/3 cup Lakanto golden sugar substitute
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 plus 2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1/4 teaspoon salt

For the topping:
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons confectioners Swerve, or Lakanto powered sweetener (If you can find it__I can't)
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350
Beat the whole eggs until they are completely combined and a light yellow. Add the egg white, melted butter and coconut oil, the pumpkin puree, and the sugar substitute. and mix well. Add the vanilla and the pumpkin pie spice and mix very well.
In a small bowl combine the coconut flour, baking soda, cream of tarter and salt. Mix it well then add it to the pumpkin mixture. Stir, stir and stir. The coconut flour absorbs moisture so the muffin mix will be fairly dry feeling. If you are using a metal muffin pan use muffin liners. If using a silicon pan just spray them well with cooking spray.  Fill them to the top and you have to pat the muffin mix down a little because it feels very crumbly.

Mix the topping ingredients until they are smooth then. dollop 1/12 of the topping on each of the muffins. Use a toothpick  to swirl the topping through the top of the muffin. It's messy and looks really bad before it is bakes,. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove form the oven and let them cool before removing them from the pan. 

I made them and tasted 1/2 of one just to see what they were like. They are a perfectly fine Keto muffin, but you just have to refrain from comparing them with a wheat flour based muffin. The taste is perfectly fine, but the texture is different. It is not a bad texture, just different. 

I had also heard everyone proclaiming that the monk fruit based sweetener did not have the cooling effect that Swerve does. It might not be as pronounced, but I feel it still is on the coolish side.

On a scale to 1-10 I might rank this as a 7. It was fine and should satisfy cravings for something sweet, but like all keto desserts (except a couple of pies) it is just not quite the same. But the payoff is that each muffin has approximately 2.5 net carbs and that make the texture change a whole lot more palatable. 

Will I make this again? Possibly, but like I said, I am not a pumpkin lover, so it will not be my go-to keto muffin. 
.

16 comments:

  1. Hello! :)
    very interesting post. I read it with pleasure. you write very interestingly and your posts are very inspiring :) if you want, we can visit each other or observe our blogs :)
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound pretty good although I'm not a huge pumpkin fan either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tasty and nicely spiced. I will eat them but have most of them frozen for one of those days when I am craving something sweet. It's not quite that weather here yet, but they would probably be good mid afternoon with a cup of hot tea on a chilly gray day.

      Delete
  3. As I read through the ingredients I notice two that we don't have (or that rarely appear). I don't think I have ever seen pumpkin in a can. And we don't do pumpkin spice. Cultural differences?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it is American laziness rather than anything else with the pumpkin spice, since it is just a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and ginger. It is sold with all the little containers of herbs and spices in the grocery store.
      Canned pumpkin puree and canned pumpkin pie filling are pretty much standards here and available year round.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They are fine and my non keto daughter in law really liked them

      Delete
  5. I'm like your husband, always wanting to try new products!
    Here in Australia we don't do the fall/pumpkin thing but I'd try those muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty good and much better the second day.

      Delete
  6. Now I'm craving (non Keto) pumpkin chocolate chip bread.... yum! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non Lego is always better, especially when chocolate joins the party

      Delete
  7. I have a couple of cans of pumpkin puree that should be used up. Maybe some regular (non-keto) pumpkin muffins this weekend - it's supposed to be cool and having the oven on won't be a hardship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are pumpkin fiends in my family-I bake extras for the kids to take to their respective places (though need to redo for middle child who eats vegan). When I read the ingredients. I wonder if chocolate might mask the different texture? My daughter bakes with coconut flour and I think coconut sugar, and I guess I always attributed the texture difference to her using flax eggs and either organic apple sauce or banana instead of oil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. Pumpkin anything else is just creepy--no ice cream or stuff like that. I never use pumpkin spice!
    Is lakanto better than swerve?
    I have never heard of legs cramps and keto. What is that all about? I wonder how zucchini would work in this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not sure about the difference in the sugar substitutes. I guess I should make two of the same thing and do a side by side comparison

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.