Translate

Monday, October 5, 2020

Tuesday 4 About Fall

For the past few weeks I have been following Annie @Tuesday's Place. She poses 4 questions each week. This week it is all about changes Fall brings.




Are you decorating your home for fall? Thanksgiving? Show us some photos if you don't mind!
Right now I am in the process of incorporating furniture and items from Mom's house into mine so seasonal decorating is about as far from anything I want to do as possible. I will throw some outside Halloween decor up before the actual day, but we are having no guests in our house and I am not feeling the need to decorate inside just for us. 
After Halloween I will change over the front of the house to a fall/Thanksgiving theme__maybe. Or I may just take the Halloween decor down and wait for Christmas.

Are trees changing in your area yet? Do you mind showing a fall photo from your area?
The leaves are not changing yet, but may have lost a little of their vivid green color, with the exception of the muscadine vines. The leaves on them are yellowing and falling.
If I knew where a fall picture from past years was I would be happy to share with you, but right now I can't think of where one might be. There are none on my phone picture roll.

Do you like to use scents in your home? What kind do you use and what scents do you enjoy in your home?
I burn a candle in my kitchen most days and tend to burn something sort of seasonal. In the summer I like citrus scents, in the fall I tend to burn coffee or chocolate scented candles. During the winter I like to burn candles that smell like baked goods or burning spruce. Springtime is the only time I use a floral candle. Kudzu is my absolute favorite. It smells like a cross between a flower and grapes. It is kind of hard to find and when I do I buy more than one.

Fall's weather usually turns a bit chilly. Sometimes we change how we eat by seasons. Can you share a nice recipe for a good fall meal with us?
This is my grandmothers apple roll recipe which is more of a "how-to" than it is a recipe. She could never tell you the amounts  because she learned from watching her mother, so I would watch her make it and take mental notes. Understand there was no measuring going on and everything was a handful of this and a pinch or two of that. We grew up eating it when I was a kid, and I make it rarely now but it is always delicious. And now that I am remembering it and how good it is, I am going to make one some day soon.

Grandmothers Apple Roll

1 piecrust recipe 
peeled sliced tart apples (I use Granny Smith but have used York or Winesap) 3 cups maybe? (I just eyeball it)
sugar (1/3 to 1/2 cup?)
cinnamon (teaspoon maybe)
cloves (about 1/8 teaspoon)
allspice (1/8 teaspoon) (Grandmother did not use allspice, but I like it and added it to mine)
1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter
butter, melted
extra sugar
flour
water

Roll the piecrust into an oblong shape. Through trial and error I have found it is best to do this on a sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper that has been floured.  Place  (mound) the peeled, sliced apples on the piecrust leaving about 1 inch on one side and two inches on the other free of any apple slices. Make sure you have about 2 inches of just piecrust at the top and bottom of the oblong also.

Sprinkle the sugar on top of the apples, then mix all the spices together and sprinkle them over the sugar. Cut the butter into small bits and dot the entire mound of apples with it. 

Now beginning with the 1 inch side begin to roll the piecrust like a jelly roll until you get to the two inch side. Run your fingers under water then take those same wet fingers and run them down the 2 inch side of the piecrust and fold it over to create a seal.  Pinch the crust on the top and bottom together using the same wet finger trick, then fold them over the roll to meet the two inch sealed side. Use damp fingers one more time to seal the top and bottom to the rolled pastry.  

Carefully place the apple roll seam side down on a buttered 9x13 baking dish. Brush the entire outside with melted butter then cut 3  short diagonal slices in the very top of the crust . (I have no idea if three is required or not but it is what Grandmother did so it is what I do)

Bake at 350 until it the crust is set and has a tiny bit of color but is not truly browned. Sprinkle the entire roll with sugar ( a generous amount 1/4 cup maybe). This next part is for the truly brave. I have been known to just add the sugar and let it finish baking, but sometimes I do the rest. I had the advantage of watching Grandmother so I know how it is supposed to work. It is hard to explain the magic without the visuals. Sprinkle about a tablespoon and a half of flour over the sugar, the oh so slowly pour about 1/2 cup of warm water over the top. Pop it back in the over and continue to cook, but you have to open the oven door every few minutes, stir the liquid at the bottom of the pan and spoon it over the roll. Continue until it has finished baking. You want to let it sit a bit before serving. It is delicious with ice cream or by itself. 

One of my cousins printed what she called Grandmother's recipe, but it used biscuit dough. I have a feeling Grandmother sent a bogus recipe to her mom so it would be close not nowhere near as good as the way she actually made it. This particular cousin was a foreigner (South Carolinian rather than an Alabamian) so she had no way to observe the makings of this like the rest of us did!






27 comments:

  1. How nice that you have your grandmother's apple recipe. It takes me a few days to decorate. I have several bins of decorations that I have collected over the years. I can see why you can't decorate this year and a candle makes things so festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the decorations that go along with the seasons but this year I am just not feeling it. I do plan on going overboard with the Christmas decor.

      Delete
  2. Anne,

    Dinah Shore lived in Knoxville years ago. I'm not sure if she's from this area or just settled here after retiring from the entertainment industry. Grandma's Apple Roll sounds like a winner. I will save your recipe to try. DH no doubt will love it. Thanks for sharing and have a terrific Tuesday!

    ~Curious as a Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Dinah Shore grew up in Nashville, but I am not positive.
      I am sorry the recipe is not a real and official recipe. It was just learned from watching Grandmother make it many times.

      Delete
  3. My favorite cold weather candles are those that smell like baked goods, too. My husband thinks they are cruel, though, because he comes home and smells them and thinks I baked something yummy...which is rarely the case these days as we don't need to eat that kind of stuff too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use them pretty much everyday, so TheHub is used to disappointment

      Delete
  4. Oh that apple roll sounds delicious! I am hopping over from Tuesday 4 via Annie. I may have to try that recipe. Thank you for sharing it. I love anything apple! But I bet you could do the same for peaches too if you had some fresh peaches. Sounds good too. Now I want some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you could do it with just about any fruit, but Grandmother never used anything but apples. I had not thought of making one in quite a while, but now my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the apple recipe. I like the idea of the four questions on Tuesday 4. I will be sure to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like reading your answers, and then providing my own. Here goes:
    1. I decorate seasonally, but minimally. I have my fall quilts, and some mini pumpkins (which I grew) out. I also have some handblown glass pumpkins purchased from a local artist on display. My front door has a fall hanging, and there are more pumpkins on the porch. That's it. (In suburbia, I went a bit crazy with the outside Halloween decorations, though.)
    2. The PNW is mostly evergreens, so not a lot of fall color. I'm from New England originally, and really get nostalgic for that part of the country in fall.
    3. I used to light scented candles, but then we started keeping bees, and making beeswax candles. Now, I can't bear scented candles, or fake scents in the home. They make my eyes burn. I use peppermint oil in my homemade cleanser, and light beeswax candles. That said, I love nothing more in fall than the smell of pumpkin and apple pies baking. I also simmer orange peels and cinnamon sticks on the stove for ambient scent.
    4. One of our favorites is apple cabbage soup. I discovered it when I needed to do something with quarts and quarts of home canned apple juice, and no brandy for champagne cocktails. This is about the recipe I use, but I use bagged coleslaw, and cook mine in the slow cooker. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/230232/cabbage-apple-soup/
    Have a great day, and thanks for this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son lives in the PNW and the late fall Portland is filled with conifer green and the most gorgeous yellow leaves I have ever seen. No idea what the trees are but they are similar (but much larger) then the ginkgo trees around here.

      Delete
  7. Wow.. the apple roll sounds wonderful. My grandmother made shoo fly pies!! Thanks for joining in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had a shoo fly pie, but since I was posting an apple recipe the song jut seemed to fit!

      Delete
  8. No seasonal decorations here. Other than Christmas I really don't see a lot of it. A cultural difference? Or perhaps I am just surrounded by lazy people.
    I have a number of recipes in the 'never written down, this is what I saw' category. My mother's cheese shortbreads are MUCH, MUCH better than any I have created. Yet. And were a Christmas treat which I try to recreate every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like the cooking by feel "recipes" If you ever feel inclined I would love to see the "recipe" for your mom's cheese shortbreads. I understand to 'not quite the same" feeling. I can come close to Grandmother's roll but it is not quite as good as hers. Hope springs eternal, right?

      Delete
  9. A kudzu candle?! I would never have thought about making one of those. I wonder if that's more of a southern thing where kudzu is more prevalent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they are made from the oils in the flowers. There is no way I am going through blooming kudzu to harvest them though. It may be a southern thing. I have only seen them from one local candle maker and at a small produce stand near the lake place.

      Delete
  10. I like different candles for the seasons too. Thanks for the recipe....YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to burn one in the kitchen anytime I am home until I clean the kitchen for the night

      Delete
  11. Ooh, that song made me feel hungry! :D

    Your grandmother's apple roll sounds delicious!

    I haven't decorated for Fall or Halloween, yet. It doesn't feel like fall, yet, with temperatures in the upper 90s and low 100s. There are very few trees that turn color in my neighborhood and the earliest they turn color is in late November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t either but I bought candy corn and a bag of Halloween candy. Does that count?

      Delete
  12. I love to decorate and we are the only ones who see, so I think I do it for myself...hahahaha.
    I love the candles that smell like baked good too! I have a warm apple pie one from Bath & Body here too. Loved your answers! Enjoy the rest of the week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most years I decorate but this weird year is just not screaming for decorations here

      Delete
  13. Oh that apple roll sounds so good! I don’t think I’d be brave enough to try without seeing it done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy your post so much!great one dear,as always!Love it <3
    beautyqueen000.blogspot.rs

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.