Translate

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Going Down a Rabbit Hole


There are times in my life when the nerd in me puts on a metaphorical cape and mask to become SUPER NERD, and I become compelled to find out as much as possible about whichever rabbit hole swallowed me whole. Recently I have been finding as much as possible about zero food waste.  Stupid me. I thought zero food waste was just using all the foods you buy and not letting them ruin before consumption. As usual, I was wrong. It turns out zero waste literally means using every part of everything using composting or chicken feeding as the last possible resort. Time for a science experiment?


I had bought an 8 pound bag of potatoes which is about 6 pounds too many for a family of two who eat very few potatoes. We had been having baked potatoes with meals for a couple or three weeks, but I still had a potato basket that was pretty full. Plus they were getting a tad soft. Not sprouting but just not as firm as they had been.

I decided we could have mashed potatoes this week and I would dice and cook them, and stick em in the fridge until I was ready to mash them for dinner. So I  peeled them, stuck them in salted water to cook then began cleaning my mess. Oh no! How could I possibly toss the peels? 

So I didn't. Instead I put them in the air fryer, sprayed a spritz of olive oil on them and cooked them at 370 for 4 minutes. I took them out, shook the basket to flip as many over as I could with a couple of shakes, spritzed them again and finished cooking them for 4 1/2 more minutes. 


I removed them with tongs to a paper towel on a plate, lightly salted them, then put them in a bowl. I tried them and was shocked. There were like little feathery, crispy bits of french fry tasting deliciousness. I was not going to discount the fact that I might be biased, wanting the experiment to be successful. I got TheHub to try them and he also thought they were great, but I needed another opinion. About that time, Son2 came in and was recruited to be guinea pig number 2. He gave it his seal of approval, they left and I ate the rest of them. Lucky me!

Now I am going to start doing this with all my potato peels, but am also secretly wondering what carrot peels and sweet potato peels done the same way might taste like.  Luckily I am always game for a little experiment.






22 comments:

  1. We don't peel our vegies (or at least not often). I believe that a lot of the nutrient is in the peel and I am lazy. I can well believe that air fryer peels are delicious. Happy experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do enjoy experimenting. I peel potatoes for mashed potatoes and potato salad. I really don't eat sweet potatoes except for an occasional baked one, but TheHub likes them mashed so I peel them then. Carrots are always peeled here but it is a tactile thing for me.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea - I mean you basically made tater skins didn't you! I have a composter in my garden and routinely throw that kind stuff into it - and now I actually have potatoes growing in the compost from the potato peelings. I have no idea what they will turn out like (probably puny and nothing much) but it's quite exciting all the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of. Almost all of them were paper thin, but they were very crispy and airy.

      Delete
  3. Crispy baked (or fried) potato peels do make a good snack. I imagine that sweet potato peels would be equally good. I do draw the line at eating regular banana peels, although, when I was growing up, there was a certain type of plantain we called ash plantain and the peels were cooked and eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat bananas so I am not going to do anything with banana peels. Luckily TheHub takes a banana to work with him every morning so I will never have to feel guilty about him tossing those peels.

      Delete
  4. I love potato peels. If it weren't for Tommy, potatoes would not be peeled around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the peels in mashed potatoes or potato salad.

      Delete
  5. Yum, that sounds delicious, Anne. I’ll have to try these soon. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious. The skins are my favorite part of a baked potato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice little treat using what would have been garbage.

      Delete
  7. Good job on using up the peels too. I'm sure they were delicious. I only peel for mashed and potato salad as well so I'll have to remember to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought to do anything with the peels other than tossing them, but this is the start of something I will continue to do.

      Delete
  8. Oops -- I may have put a bag of russets away out of sight and forgot about them. Years ago, my favorite Dallas eatery ('Daddy's Money') used to serve loaded potato skins. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peels and loaded potato skins are different but equally tasty

      Delete
  9. They charge big bucks around here for potato skins, but those aren't just the peels. I've never thought of frying up the peels, but they do sound pretty darn good. Our city has just recently gone with the green bins, so we do have a way to eliminate some food waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would not bother truly frying them but crisping them in an air fryer was pretty darn good.

      Delete
  10. But did you 'de-eye' them taters first?? Inquiring minds....... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 8 pound bag of potatoes would be 8 pounds too much for us LOL..and if they ain't organic, I wouldn't eat the peel..waste or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had entirely too many potatoes. I am a scrubber when I wash potatoes and will take my chances. I don't buy a lot of certified organic produce.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.