Translate

Sunday, September 3, 2023

Joys In Spite Of The Occasional Bump In The Road

Sunday began the week with a bang, but by Monday things went downhill for a few days. I was feeling under the weather but not sick enough to go to the doctor. 
Because TheHub felt almost the same way we are fairly sure we had a mild case of food poisoning. The joy was absolutely in the word MILD,


Sunday: We went to church then came home with (probably slightly tainted) lunch. Then we watched the FedEx tournament. Well done Viktor. I would also like to make 26 million dollars in 8 days. After dinner we watched Justified. We have less than half of a season before we are completely through with it.
I began feeling little icky but thought I might just be tired.

Monday: I did not feel well at all Monday but I did go to The Pig for their double free items. This week it was a pound of bananas and a jar of Planter's dry roasted peanuts. I still had to spend an additional 10 bucks on other items, but I had a list of their sale items I needed and made it out of the store spending just $11 and change.  
Then I hurried back home to beat the approaching storm and basically vegetated in the recliner. I did get up to cook pork chops then melted back into the chair. 
After dinner ( a lame meal for TheHub, cucumber slices, toast and ginger ale for me) I was freezing, took a hot shower, put on flannel pjs, a bed jacket, fluffy slippers then sat in the recliner with two blankets wrapped around me. Even with all of that I was still cold. I stayed in that stupid chair, sipping ginger ale until about 4, when I finally felt like I would be able to sleep.

Tuesday: I still did not feel great, but I did feel better. At least I was no longer cold, but I also was not setting the world on fire with activity. The only thing I really did that was productive was laundry, and the bare minimum of housework. 
I was thrilled to find a package of instant grits for the morning and glad I bought potatoes at ThePig Monday.  Grits, a baked potato and a little Mac and cheese worked for the days meals, and the ginger ale and iced tea kept me hydrated
Fortunately I had a true mood lifter__a phone call from Sluggy!

Wednesday: TheHub decided he wanted  to start breaking up the week by going somewhere together Wednesday nights. I thought I had planned the perfect outing; Aldi and Sprouts. It was not what he had in mind so we added dinner at Culver's before shopping. 
It is kind of funny because he loves doing his recreational shopping trip to Publix, but get him out of his store comfort zone and he gets a little antsy. If I am at the store with him (exclusive of Publix or Costco) I have to have a list and zing through the store with no time for impulse browsing. It kinda makes me laugh at, not with, him

Thursday: My Beloved Sister came over and we spent a couple of hours talking and laughing. Shhh! don't tell anyone but we might have eaten an ice cream sandwich to add to the merriment. After she left I high tailed it to the laundry room to go through another cabinet. I am doing a wholesale decluttering by physically touching every single item in the house. In the keep it or coast it conundrum I am leaning as much as possible toward the Goodwill pile. I found items I did not even remember ever having, so I definitely have no use for them now.

Friday: I have been a faithful subscriber of Spectrum and all of the prior incarnations of the company for decades. The last bill increased a good bit so we decided to cancel the service and give YouTube TV a whirl. It is substantially less and the quality seems to be about\ the same. I installed YouTube in about 10 minutes,  and watched the 20 minute preview before finally committing to it. Then I called Spectrum to cancel our TV services.
 I spoke to a representative, told her I wanted to end the TV portion of our service and was told I had to be transferred to another department. No big deal__the little voice that piped up every few minutes while I was holding kept telling me I had a 5-12 minute late. After listening to the lying recording for over an hour I finally hung up. 
I swear they do this so you will just hang up and forget to cancel. Ha! I have until the 13th which is the last day of the billing cycle and I will try every day until I get someone to complete the cancelation.
Thankfully Sluggy answered when I called her and lent me her ears while I griped about Spectrum.
After dinner we watched the last two episodes of Justified. I enjoyed it but I am glad we are finished.

Saturday: TheHub and I got out early to do our usual Saturday morning running around, then came home to watch a little football (compliments of YouTube TV. Take that Spectrum!) Tennessee was killing their opponent so we turned it on the Colorado/TCU game. I did not care one way or another who won but it was a fantastic game to watch. 
I thought about watching Auburn's game but they scored their first three possessions of the game, so I read, then took a short unintentional nap. When I woke the Auburn game was out of hand, which gave me time to do my least favorite thing___clean a little!
Son2 and TheHub were going to the Bama game and DIL2 came over with Reesey. She is adorable, but discovered the kitchen has all kinds of interesting things (like a garbage can) and she could not resist trotting into the kitchen over and over. 
Still she is a fantastic dog.
We watched the game kind of, but mainly we kept an eye on Reesey. . Bama won, but a real test will be next week when they face Texas.

Joys abound as long as you look for them, even if that joy is Spectrum messing up your ball game viewing. There is always something like Youtube TV to come to the rescue. (Metaphor here for that old one door closing another opening thing. I just want to make it personal)

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne






26 comments:

  1. ROLL TIDE! Yeah, I had a lot
    of very mad friends about Disney/ Spectrum ballgames debacle! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had been talking for a while about cutting the cord, but that was the final straw! Roll Tide__Anne

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you found the joys despite your lurgy. You are right I am sure about companies making it difficult to cancel in the hopes you will give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand they want to keep their customer base but making it so difficult to stop is borderline racketeering.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on not feeling great this week! It really does slow you down, doesn't it? Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slows me down and makes me kind of mad. I have a lot I need to do___Anne

      Delete
  4. Before I cancel a service, I usually Google how to do so and almost always find a little article telling me the best number to call and the best way to keep from being hassled about my cancellation. I've been decluttering, too, by cleaning out kitchen/bathroom cabinets and drawers. I'm not done but the results are already great. So sorry you didn't feel well.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tired of the games Spectrum is playing. I am tired of the games Disney is playing. But this is it for my loyalty to Spectrum.
      I am not crazy about the decluttering process but I need stuff gone. If I have not used it in over a year I will most likely never use it again.__Anne

      Delete
  5. Try pressing zero to get to a real human being at Spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contacting the first human was easy, it's the second one that is needed to stop the service that I waited on for over an hour.__Anne

      Delete
  6. I read all of the Monday attempt to get warm to Tommy. His reply, "DAMN, where does she live?"
    "Vestavia."
    I awoke to TV low and radio. Tommy was listening to Auburn game on the radio because Spectrum and Disney are arguing. So no Iron Bowl unless they make up and play nice. I will try to find it on my laptop and give it to him. He will not move from Spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most likely I could have been sitting in the second circle of Hell and would have still been cold Monday night.
    I have been a Spectrum loyalist for a long long time through all their incarnations. The massive price increase and no ESPN was the kill shot.___Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to read about the food poisoning, but, at least it was mild. Sorry you couldn't get warm, either, but, glad you felt better, later. You still got a lot done during the week! The month has barely started and I am already behind with this month's decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am one of those weird people and any time I have a fever, no matter how slight it is, I freeze from the inside out. Kind of like reverse menopause! ___Anne

      Delete
  9. Glad that you are feeling better, Anne, and was having a good time with your sister. Have a wonderful new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New week, new chapter, right?__Anne

      Delete
  10. Glad you're feeling better now. It's quite a shock when we're not used to being ill isn't it! I'm off to the airport tomorrow and usually get there so early I treat myself to either smoked salmon or shrimp plus a glass of wine. When somebody recently commented "you're brave doing that before a flight" I thought twice as I've had a jippy stomach for about five days now. Wise advice I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure I would not have that right before a flight, but I would have the glass of White! Have a wonderful trip!__Anne

      Delete
  11. Glad you're feeling better. It's no fun to be sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not fun to feel icky, but it is gone and I am almost ready to tackle the world except for the fact I hate housework.___Anne

      Delete
  12. Glad you're feeling better, whatever it was did not sound pleasant.
    I've never heard of Youtube TV, not sure it's an option here in Canada. My cable bill is ridiculously high, but none of our streaming services provide coverage of the sports I enjoy. Otherwise I'd switch in a minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Football season was the deal breaker for cable. I am done with it ___Anne

      Delete
  13. Glad to hear you're feeling better! I'd no idea bed jackets were still a thing. That sounds wonderfully nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bed jackets are not a thing, but I am not flat chested gal and only had sons. On the very rare day when I would still be in my pjs after they woke it provided a little modesty for me and kept them from being embarrassed. I have had this forever and never use it unless I am feeling a little under the weather and need extra warmth without the bulk of a robe.___Anne

      Delete
  14. Your talk of decluttering reminded me I booked a chemical clean-up so I can get rid of all the old sunscreens, paints and chemical scraps. That will be an achievement.
    Also, I want ice cream sandwiches

    ReplyDelete
  15. i did some spring cleaning yesterday - so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.