Translate

Monday, December 11, 2023

Unexpected! Dinners and Music

This week the unexpected meals happened so I thought I would follow up an unexpected week with a little unexpected music. I mean, who thinks of Bob Dylan and an accordion as Christmas fare? 


In addition to finding this very unexpected rendition, once the week began TheHub (who dod not mention this as I was planning last weeks menu) said he was going to be having business dinners Tuesday and Wednesday. It would have been nice to know in advance. I would have cooked so I would have leftovers to warm both nights.

What was planned vs. What really happened
We had 2 Christmas parties that include dinners. That left 5 meals to plan

1. Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad
2. Stuffed baked potatoes, coleslaw
3. Soup
4. Taco salad
5. Sandwiches

What really happened:
Monday: Soup. I should have made homemade chicken soup instead of tossing two different chicken soups from a can into the pot and warming it up. Progresso for the win and that is all I am going to say about that.

Tuesday: TheHub called as I was browning a 4 pound pack of ground chuck to portion in freezer bags. When he told me he was going to a dinner meeting I kept out a couple of tablespoons of the ground chuck for me, diced a piece of an onion, thinly sliced a new potato, and tossed some shredded cabbage in a pan wilted everything and called it dinner. Quite a difference from the steak and grouper TheHub had.

Wednesday: Another dinner meeting, leftover tomato soup and saltines for me. Again, a little different from what TheHub ate.  Not exactly sure what he had because he knew better than to come home and tell me. All I know is that he put a huge honking slice of cheesecake he was too full to eat in the fridge. Lucky for him I am not a big cheesecake fan or he would have never seen it again!

Thursday: Sandwiches. I'll be damned if I was going to cook after he went to upscale restaurants 2 nights prior when I was home eating crap. A tad bitter?  You decide.
Friday:  Roasted chicken, lima beans, carrots, coleslaw

Saturday: Loaded buffet at the favorite Christmas party we go to all year. Love the party, love the hosts, love the food, and oh my gosh her speciality cookies are too die for!

Sunday: Another party at The Bright Star restaurant. Seafood is not really optional there!

Plans for this week???
Not really planning anything particular. Whatever happens, happens.
I have smoked sausages, browned ground chuck, cooked chicken, and tuna steaks available for quick meals, plus after last week there might need to be some makeup take out/dining out happening. I am really not sure yet! Petty? Again, you decide.

Have a good week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all.

23 comments:

  1. Have fun.
    I had a Christmas lunch to attend (after a meeting). However it was tooooo hot so I piked and came home. A lot of fruit was eaten last week and not a lot else by me - and I have no idea what he ate. It has completely escaped my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh fruit sounds great. Sometimes I forget it is now summer there.

      Delete
  2. Bitter and Petty? Works for me too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So hubby ate out almost all week? Lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't even think of Bob in association with Christmas music. X was always going to fancy dinners at nice restaurants while the kids and I ate at home. Bitter? You bet. He probably takes the replacement wife to dinner with him now that no children are around.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of Dylan and Christmas either, but I am glad I found it.

      Delete
  5. I was laughing about what you wrote about the cheesecake. He said, "She could always hold it hostage."
    Ex always had someplace to go and left me and children at home. Bitter works for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Thursday night he asked if I wanted to spilt it with him. It was a safe ask!

      Delete
  6. haha, I think you are playing at bitterness :)
    The cheesecake would not have lasted in my fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TO be perfectly honest, dinner meeting are part of his job. There has been a bunch of them lately, mostly having to do with the Christmas season. People want to do business with them so he gets a little wining and dining

      Delete
  7. On a positive note, your hubbie really isn't difficult to feed, is he!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Next time he has a dinner meeting, order yourself a wonderful meal to be delivered to your door! No reason why you shouldn't have a lovely dinner that you didn't have to cook for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought of doing that. If I know a few days ahead of time I make enough of a meal we are having so I will have leftovers for me. This past week I had no prior notice and was left with nothing really to warm up

      Delete
  9. I'm with Bless. Seems fair to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not even looking for fair. I'm just looking for a heads up.

      Delete
  10. Dylan and Christmas? I had no idea but I love it. I keep Progresso chicken soup on hand for emergencies and we love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make soup from scratch, but I always have a couple of cans of Progresso on hand.

      Delete
  11. Your "non-cooking" sounds pretty good to me. But not as good as dinners out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. very warm here so it's salads and light meals. A cyclone is hovering up north, so now we know summer has really started :=)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.