Translate

Saturday, December 30, 2023

Whatcha Doing


 Right now most of the world has their plans set in stone for New Year's Eve. Over the years TheHub and I have run the gamut for ringing in the new year. 

When our sons were small, we had celebrations at home with bell ringing and firecrackers, usually with others in the neighborhood. As they aged our plans changed. We have been at those gigantic celebrations with funny hats, champagne, horns and confetti. We've sat in restaurants eating breakfast and a mimosa toast at the stroke of midnight with good friends. We have been at small intimate gatherings at someone's home. As we have gotten older we tend to just stay here. We would often watch whoever is televising their Rockin' New Years Eve event on TV. However, now we are familiar with so few of the performers that it is not really our cup of tea, so we put on soft clothes and watch a movie until a few minutes before countdown, then we change the station just to see a few minutes of the revelry.

This year is going to be different for us. For the first time ever we will be spending the night apart. This morning I dropped TheHub at the airport for a flight to LAX. From there he will go to Burbank and meet Son1's family once they arrive Sunday evening. NYD they will be going to the Rose Bowl. 

I could have gone too, but we only had 4 tickets to the game, and as much as I would love to see them, they would be leaving for the game early Monday morning and I would be stuck by myself until later after they made their way back to the hotel. TheHub is flying out Tuesday morning, and the entire visit with them would be for about 36 hours. It was just not worth the time and money to spend most of my waking hours alone. I will save my money and go to Portland later for an extended visit.

So that leaves New Year's Eve. I am debating between two options. If Son2 and DIL2 want to come here and have a game watching party NYD, I will stay in town, read and watch the game with them.

My other option is to drive to Nashville. Son3 and DIL3 are having a watch party for the games on NYD. They were kind enough to invite me, and there is a very nice hotel about 5 minutes from their house.  I can be there is about 3.5 hours, unless I am driving during the heavy traffic times and then it takes 100 hours to get through Nashville. Well at least it feels like that long.

So we will see! 

What are your plans to bring in the New Year?

34 comments:

  1. I hope you have fun, whatever option you choose. I will let the New Year come in without ne, She knows the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I will be in my jammies at 6pm, probably fall asleep on the couch at 7 and maybe the cat will wake me up around midnight. 2024 will happen whether or not I'm awake or asleep. Happy New Year!

      Delete
    2. E.C. I still have a few hours to decide which way I am going, but whichever way, I will be happy.

      Delete
    3. Lorraine, I am almost never asleep before midnight, so I will have a hot tea toast either with Son3 and DIL3, or I will have the same toast to the universe here at home.

      Delete
  2. The kids and I will go to my parents house NYE for board games and appetizers. Plan to be back home by 10pm. Probably veg on the couch to ring in NY with the kids. In bed by 1230.
    Hope you have fun with whatever decision you make! Happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not as much of a night owl as you, so I will probably be annoyed around midnight with the neighbors' fireworks that have been going off for hours. Bah, humbug. However, at the library, we do a fun thing with the kids- Noon Year's Eve. Games, stories, crafts, and dance party to ring in the New Year at noon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighborhood has had several houses with kids move in since last January, so I have no clue what if any fireworks will be going off. I will be awake anyway so it really won't bother me.

      Delete
  4. Nothing, I assume I will be asleep. I cannot wait for this year to end and I hope to God 2024 is better, but certainly hope it Is not worse! I always have a lot
    of DUI’s in court to deal with in January because of Christmas and the New Year so I am never a happy camper in January… lol. The only change is that instead of alcohol, it now tends to be other substances. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the increased workload headed your way. Maybe some folks will call Uber instead.

      Delete
  5. Well, lucky you ... you get to jump a year ahead of the hubs (for a little while)! In the past, I've ushed in the New Year with bells and whistles, but as the saying goes, "That was then, this is now." There's little likelihood I'll be awake at midnight. What passes as (televised) entertainment no longer holds any appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will call him at midnight CST. Most likely he will be just about ready to turn in for the night then.

      Delete
  6. I've done the party thing, and would stay until shortly after midnight. I'm definitely not a night owl and staying awake until midnight is very difficult. I'll be in pajamas, sitting on the couch watching something, though I suspect I'll be in bed before 2024 actually arrives here.
    Enjoy your evening, whatever you decide to to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I stay in town I will be in pajamas too, most likely reading Demon Copperhead while waiting on the year to turn over

      Delete
  7. Tommy said he never did anything noisy or big on NYE. I have but quit that years ago. We will be here, watching TV and change the TV to see the ball drop. I am no longer interested in going anywhere, even to a quiet evening. Now, if board games were being played, I would be there. Maybe. We are always up at midnight, so this is nothing new. However, I might have a few snacky finger foods to celebrate, just like I did for my little kids on NYE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I stay here by myself, I will just have a cup of tea. If I decide to head to Nashville, who knows?

      Delete
  8. We are staying home, Flynn, Steve and I. Like you, we have done it all. And my favorite now is being on my couch! Have a great time, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wonderful times when we celebrated in the past, but I also enjoy either a small gathering or just being at home.

      Delete
  9. Nothing special...just staying at home with my husband and cats :-)) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you had come over with your husband, you could have visited with me while your family went to the Rose Bowl and we could have gone to the Sri Lankan restaurant (they will be open on NYD) so you could try some of the food I keep talking about. Oh, well, maybe another time. :)
    I do hope that you will enjoy New Year's Eve and NYD, whatever you choose to do. As for us, daughter and I rarely go to bed before midnight even on regular days, so, we'll watch the ball drop on TV and I will boil milk until it overflows (and messes up my stove) and make milkrice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, a missed opportunity! Happy New Year and enjoy the milkrice and mess!

      Delete
  11. I'll be alone NYE too and I'm perfectly fine with that. My ex was the party animal, not me, so it's great to be able to sit and read or watch a movie and then watch a few fireworks out the window at midnight. I don't even have a drink, which is just as well because I guess someone has to be on watch just in case. Mind you, the only time I ever got called was 4 a.m by my sons' friend who was pretty wired and needed a ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If TheHub and I are here we usually have a NYE toast, but it is generally a glass of wine with dinner rather than a midnight thing. If I stay here I wil just have a cup of tea at midnight and call it good!

      Delete
  12. We've done it all as well and now like to be safe and warm at home. I don't remember the last time I made it to midnight. I will welcome the new year on Monday around 6am. Whatever you decided to do, I hope you have a safe and happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am awake at midnight every single night so staying up tonight will be my norm. As the morning disappears I have to make up my mind about Nashville very quickly!

      Delete
  13. We won't be going anywhere for new year's eve, so I will probably be asleep. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a new gentleman BFF and he will be joining me here to ring in 2024. Happy New Year to you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Son2 called and said they would like to come watch the game here, so I will be at home tonight. I have a good book to read and I am sure I will be talking to TheHub and Son1's family at some point in the night. Happy New Year to you Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year! Hope your hub and son and family enjoy the Rose Bowl, and I'm glad you have a good book to read.
    We aren't party animals, so we'll be at home this year watching a movie and eating some snacks, and we'll toast the New Year with some sparkling cider. I guess I am getting old, but I miss Dick Clark, and even Dolly Parton couldn't make Miley Cyrus' show worth watching for me last year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wound up watching a SVU marathon and never even flipped the channel.

      Delete
  17. I no longer am familiar with any of the "talent" on the NYE tv shows. I will turn it on a few minutes before midnight just to see the crowd. Then I will go back to my book.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.