Translate

Monday, July 6, 2020

food food food

For the past week and the week after I made a list of possible meals. Son3 and Dil 3 are now here for a longer than usual visit, and I truly intended to have this list and just let them decide what sounded good, knowing I can whip up a meal pretty quickly. And now we can see just how impossible the possibilities seem to have been.

1.   Herb stuffed boneless leg of lamb, rice pilaf, asparagus, tossed salad, rolls
2.   Hamburgers and all the fixings, zucchini fries 
3.   Chicken enchiladas, Mexican street corn, green salad
4.   White bbq chicken, coleslaw, green beans, Texas toast
5.   Pulled pork, baked beans, caulitato salad, pickles, buns
6.   Lady peas, corn, fried okra, cucumber tomato and onion salad, cornbread
7.   Grilled grouper, sautéed crab claws, tossed. salad, broccoli, Italian bread
8.   Ham, au gratin potatoes, collard greens, dinner rolls
9.   Steak, twice baked potato, tossed salad 
10. Snapper, zucchini fritters, sliced tomatoes, Greek bread 
11. Fettuccine al fredo, tossed salad. Italian bread
12. Greek chicken salad on lettuce leaves, crusty rolls or baguette
13. Squash, green beans, fried green tomatoes, coleslaw, cornbread
14. Grilled tuna steaks with mango salsa, zucchini fries, tossed salad, rolls
15. Bruschetta, tossed salad, assorted cheeses
16. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, green beans
17. Greek meatloaf, potatoes, tomato slices, green beans.

Monday: We worked at Mom's until almost 6. I pulled a couple of chicken breasts out of the freezer and had every intention of making something delicious. Instead I sprinkled it with Cajun seasoning and pulled some leftover cooked veggies out of the fridge. Oh well!
Baked chicken, broccoli, squash
Harvest: 3 zucchini

Tuesday:I worked in the house all day to try and get things straightened before Son3 and DIL3 arrived.  When TheHub got home I had made absolutely no plans for dinner. He suggested we do takeout from our all time favorite Chinese restaurant. 
Basil chicken with a side of spinach from The Red Pearl.

Wednesday: Again I was working both inside and outside my house. Son3 and DIL3 were supposed to be at our house shortly after midnight. I fully intended to cook but TheHub wanted to get something that would be delicious warmed up when they finally arrived. If the truth be known I am pretty sure it was just something he had HIS tastebuds set on.
Costas Mediterranean  baked ziti, tossed salad

Thursday: Son3 declared he wanted to cook on the grill, so I was very happy to oblige him.
Burgers with all the fixings, chips
Harvest : 5 zucchini, 1 cucumber

Friday:  We had a nice day of swimming and nibbling, then Son3 and I want to ThePig to buy pork butts and ribs. After we came home Son2 and DIL2 came over for dinner (and yes we ate at a distance outside) I had really not planned on them eating with us and had also not planned dinner. We decided to pick up a family meal instead of cooking, even though I did put about 17 pounds of pork butt on the smoker to do its thing.
Capt. D's fish, shrimp,  okra, green beans, coleslaw

Saturday: Happy 4th! We had our family over for a safe distance bbq.
Pulled pork, ribs, corn on the cob, baked beans, toasted hamburger buns, pickles, coleslaw, peanut butter stuff

Sunday: Son3 and DIL3 met some friends for dinner on their deck. It is surprising how one can endure hot nights and bugs for some food and conversation while maintaining safe distances. Because TheHub and I were going to be here by ourselves for dinner we just ate leftovers. It was not a satisfying meal, but it was much better than throwing it away.
Leftover Captain D's, coleslaw

This week we need to kill the take out beast and cook in all week. Goodness knows I have nearly everything I could possibly need for really tasty dinners, except tomatoes. I need tomatoes! Will it happen? Who knows? But if I were putting money on it, I would probably not bet on me following through.

So the list stays the same minus the 2 meals we actually ate in (Well mostly, because I am always going to change something. I can't help it that I just don't follow rules, or plans, or nonsense laws, like speed limits, very well.)

20 comments:

  1. You can change the menus and recipes, but please obey the speed limits like I don't. It all sounded delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as everyone ate and enjoyed the meal (if not the leftovers), then, I think that is what counts. I changed my meal plan, as well, because I went grocery shopping (well, I did curbside pick up of groceries) on Friday and bought hot dogs, buns, and potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone ate, probably more than we should have and everyone has had fun so far, so I guess all is well.

      Delete
  3. It all (including your left over night) sounded pretty damn good to me.
    And today the postperson delivered a card from you. Many thanks - and goodness your handwriting is lovely. It makes me even more ashamed of MS scrawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I remember Anne's handwriting from a Christmas card she sent me and you're right, it is beautiful. Unlike mine which looks like a spider fell into an ink well and then had its death throes on a sheet of paper!

      Delete
    2. The only thing remotely girly about me is my handwriting!

      Delete
  4. I haven't thought about a Captain D's in a long time because they don't have them around here. In college, that was one of my eat out treats. It was within walking distance and the price was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went because we could feed everyone quickly and cheaply.

      Delete
  5. It all sounds delicious, Anne. I like Captain D's because it is good and inexpensive. A win-win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life has a way of getting in the way of plans. Good luck this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, I think you follow rules very well, when it counts. My husband just wasn't mindful of his speed. He was a good driver but sometimes his speed would creep up. He always said it was only a suggestion anyway (ha), but he would slow down. Sounds like some good eats at your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your husband! I do not drive fast on local roads, but on the interstate, well that is another story.

      Delete
  8. Just getting together with you kids is so worth it even at a distance... I think I hear Bette singing

    ReplyDelete
  9. When it's hot,, buggy, your managing the work in tow places, and have guests-even family, you should feel no guilt at eating and serving what works for that day. All the meals sound great to me. This is the shit shw summer, and all bets are off to guess what each week will bring/ I bet though your son and DIL were happy to be out of the city even if bugs and hot, and to be able to cook outdoors would be a treat for sure. When yu say swim, do you have a pool? As we start to think about future living places, if we do end up being snow birds, I insist we have to have a pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gooby knees and swimming it one of the best things I can do for exercise. We have a pool so I can swim laps. I do like it and since we got a salt water filter it is pretty low maintenance. (But I also confess we have a pool guy who comes every other week)

      Delete
  10. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.