Translate

Monday, July 20, 2020

Food for Thought for the Unthinking

Before Son3 and DIL3 arrived for their visit I had made a list of meal possibilities. Some are getting made and others are kicked to the curb. Such is life. I rarely stick to a plan anyway and never the exact plan. Exact planning feels restrictive and I rebel against restrictions (Except masks! Wear your blooming mask every single place you go and no whining, even though they are hot.)

This is the list of possibilities

1.   Herb stuffed boneless leg of lamb, rice pilaf, asparagus, tossed salad, rolls
2.   Hamburgers and all the fixings, zucchini fries 
3.   Chicken enchiladas, Mexican street corn, green salad 
4.   White bbq chicken, coleslaw, green beans, Texas toast 
5.   Pulled pork, baked beans, caulitato salad, pickles, buns 
6.   Lady peas, corn, fried okra, cucumber tomato and onion salad, cornbread
7.   Grilled grouper, sautéed crab claws, tossed. salad, broccoli, Italian bread
8.   Ham, au gratin potatoes, collard greens, dinner rolls 
9.   Steak, twice baked potato, tossed salad 
10. Snapper, zucchini fritters, sliced tomatoes, Greek bread 
11. Fettuccine al fredo, tossed salad. Italian bread
12. Greek chicken salad on lettuce leaves, crusty rolls or baguette
13. Squash, green beans, fried green tomatoes, coleslaw, cornbread
14. Grilled tuna steaks with mango salsa, zucchini fries, tossed salad, rolls
15. Bruschetta, tossed salad, assorted cheeses
16. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, green beans
17. Greek meatloaf, potatoes, tomato slices, green beans.

And this is what happened:

Monday: First thing out of the chute I met my sister at Mom's for a post estate sale wrap up. There are still so many items leftSomething else went on, but I don't really recall what so I have no asides about the day. It came, it went and we ate! 
Mojo marinated grilled pork tenderloin, saffron rice, green beans

Tuesday: I did a mountain of neglected laundry, watched some Killing Eve, then went to the produce mart for some veggies.
 Lady peas, "fried" okra, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, Nana's squash casserole, corn bread.
Harvest: 1/2 lb.green beans

Wednesday: Had to go back to Mom's,  then went to Aldi. Son3 and DIL3 took over the dinner prep. What a treat! No cooking for me and a delicious dinner is a serious score in my playbook!
Assorted Flamm kuchen  (Swiss/German dish that is somewhere between a pizza and flatbread )
Harvest: 2 zucchini, 1/2 lb green beans, 4 cucumbers

Thursday: No idea what happened. The day came and went and a good time was had by all. Or not, maybe everyone was grumpy and I just didn't notice. Who knows?
Turkey breast, broccoli, toast

Friday: We left for the lake about mid day and stopped at our favorite little produce stand near the lake place, then went to a seafood market in Clanton and finally went to this little touristy place called Peach Park. It was a tad out of the way but Friday was National Peach Ice Cream Day and we felt it was our moral obligation to observe the holiday. We got to the lake and Son3 developed an issue which required some tending. Instead of staying we turned around and drove home.  At least I knew what we were having for dinner.
Grilled grouper, Greek style snapper, scalloped potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, toast
Harvest: 1 pound green beans 2 cucumbers

Saturday: TheHub and I ran a few errands. We needed a couple of things from Walmart, but I will not set foot in one of their superstores because idiot abound. Fortunately there is a Walmart Neighborhood Market very near our house where people are much more intentional maintaining distance and wear masks.
After we got home Son2 and DIL2 came over to have a masked visit then dinner in the dining room where we can maintain more distance.
White bbq chicken, corn on the cob, coleslaw, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, toast, DIY ice cream sundaes.
Harvest:1/4 pound green beans, 4 cucumbers, 1 zucchini

Sunday: We had a laid back Sunday kind of day.
Grilled asian glazed tuna over chili spice peanut butter noodles, cucumber slices
Harvest: 1/2 pound green beans, 3 cucumbers, 2 zucchini

And now I begin the new week with a plan that I might or might not follow, but we will eat and hopefully enjoy the company, weather (even though it is damn hot), and the food.
Have a great week staying on plan, off plan or with no plan! 


29 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Anne. Exact planning feels restrictive and I don't like to be pigeon-holed. My plans are always held loosely. Makes life better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either, plus when I was making the tentative list I had no idea I would be bombarded with zukes and green beans!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that you are harvesting so much from your garden! So far, I've had one single tomato! LOL. Your meals sound delicious, both the ones you've planned and the ones you've had! Hope Son3 is doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are doing beyond great. A backyard, place to swim and room to wander about has rejoiced them!

      Delete
  3. I do on occasion wish we had a garden. I tend to just plan two days ahead and mainly count on the full freezer and fridge. The grilled tuna sounds fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and it is an Aldi buy so it is not terribly expensive per portion

      Delete
  4. Plan or no plan, no one every goes hungry at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, when can i come to see things at the estate sale. I need furniture and stuff. Maybe you can email me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure yet. My sister nd I are taking a break from it right now

      Delete
  6. I hope that Son3's issue is firmly in the past.
    While I would not have described myself as a rebel, any meal plants here are suggestions at best. Suggestions I often ignore.
    Stay well, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have a slight rebellious streak. I have been told that all my life. If you really want me to do something tell me it is strictly forbidden.

      Delete
  7. Okay I have decided that after this chaos is over (will it ever be over?) I am going to fly to Sluggy's we are going to drive to your place and go to the cabin and have a good old girls weekend and lots of laughs. I guess I had better tell Sluggy, now that I have told you. I just need to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say we stick to the plan 75% of the time, mostly because the plan is the only reason I defrost anything in the morning. Otherwise, it would be chaos. Hope you have a delicious week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get that. I have been trying to defrost about 3 days worth of proteins at the same time. That way I don't feel so bound to a plan. If I put them in the meat cooler of the fridge, it usually takes most things a couple of day to thaw anyway.

      Delete
  9. I love when my kids take over the kitchen. My daughter is a little more curious-she is hoping they use their kitchenette to make some meals as we still are not sure of all the rules in the dining hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have a day off kitchen duty that is not the typical takeout expense

      Delete
  10. I love flammkuchen more than pizza. They don't do it everywhere round here but I can still get it if I go into Geneva. Now you've given me an idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious. I am adding it to the rotation and I agree about it being better than pizza.

      Delete
  11. What a week! And that is a lot of food! I don't think I do anything near that amount of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son3 and DIL3 are here for a protracted visit so I am cooking more than usual, but TheHub is not fond of leftovers, so I cook more often than not.

      Delete
  12. You certainly eat a much better variety than we do. My son isn't a huge veg fan so there's that. I had to look up lady peas as I've never heard of them. They sound good to me, but I'm doubtful I'd ever find them here.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves peas. I am not a big fan but I do like lady peas. It is our compromise in the battle of peas.

      Delete
  13. It seems as though my American friends are all talking about the heat all of a sudden! Is there a heatwave or have you all just reached the point where it's so hot you can't ignore it? I hate those days. At least you have meal ideas so that reduces brain strain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Alabama the summers are always hot and steamy. The trade off is the winters are usually very mild. Here you just learn to wear cotton clothes, your hair either really short or pulled back or up , and flip flops.

      Delete
  14. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.