Translate

Monday, July 27, 2020

The Menu That Wasn't

Since Son3 and DIL 3 are here riding out Covid I just made a long list of meal possibilities. I am checking them off as they are made and eaten, though hardly one meal has been created in its entirety . Such is life especially life around here.

1.   Herb stuffed boneless leg of lamb, rice pilaf, asparagus, tossed salad, rolls 
2.   Hamburgers and all the fixings, zucchini fries 
3.   Chicken enchiladas, Mexican street corn, green salad 
4.   White bbq chicken, coleslaw, green beans, Texas toast 
5.   Pulled pork, baked beans, caulitato salad, pickles, buns 
6.   Lady peas, corn, fried okra, cucumber tomato and onion salad, cornbread
7.   Grilled grouper, sautéed crab claws, tossed. salad, broccoli, Italian bread
8.   Ham, au gratin potatoes, collard greens, dinner rolls 
9.   Steak, twice baked potato, tossed salad 
10. Snapper, zucchini fritters, sliced tomatoes, Greek bread 
11. Fettuccine al fredo, tossed salad. Italian bread
12. Greek chicken salad on lettuce leaves, crusty rolls or baguette
13. Squash, green beans, fried green tomatoes, coleslaw, cornbread
14. Grilled tuna steaks with mango salsa, zucchini fries, tossed salad, rolls
15. Bruschetta, tossed salad, assorted cheeses
16. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, green beans
17. Greek meatloaf, potatoes, tomato slices, green beans. 

Monday:Woo hoo, lucky me. DIL3 made us a delicious dinner!
Cheddar zucchini and onion quiche, salad
Harvest: 1'2 pound green beans, 2 cukes

Tuesday:  The day was just a crappy day all the way around. I was not happy and neither was anyone else in my realm. I know happiness can spread easily but the inverse is true also.  The grumps might be more contagious than Covid. Some of us ate and some of us didn't because we just did not want to be around each other.
Taco salad, mango cake with vanilla lime glaze
Harvest: none cause we were too pissy to check on it

Wednesday: It was a better day, and somewhat of a bonus day for Son2 and DIL2. I save change in a big container. It is generally for a savings account for Pip, but times being what they are and now a coin shortage (?) I told Son3 and DIL3 is they would roll it they could have it. They got a nice little payday for a small amount of work! And not to neglect Pip's account, I wrote the change total down and will make a deposit for the same amount into her savings. When she becomes college age she (her parents ) will appreciate this account.
Greek meatloaf, green beans, buttered rolls
Harvest: 1/2 pound green beans, 3 cucumbers, 3 pods of okra (it is starting to produce now__yeah! However, the chipmunks and bunnies found my lettuce garden. It's toast now! I will sacrifice lettuce if it keeps them from eating the tomatoes! Additionally the zucchini is almost through producing. I pulled a couple of plants and we will see about the rest. I could still plant another crop of them but I am not sure I want to. I might plant yellow squash instead.

Thursday: I found out why I hate going to bed early. I had a slight headache and went to sleep around 11. I woke at 4 and could not go back to sleep. Bummer! I need to revert to my obscenely late nights since I hate being awake in the early morning hours. It makes the day last so dang long!
Variation on Sweet and sour chicken, brown rice, coleslaw
Harvest 1/2 pound green beans

Friday: I might have the best DIL's in the entire world. Not only is DIL3 a beautiful, kind, talented woman but she is a damn fine cook too. We were treated to a special meal that included singing and sips (shots for those braver than me) of aquavit in addition to a typical Nordic meal.
Swedish meatballs in gravy, filled potatoes, lingonberry preserves, pickles and cabbage slaw with a delicious dressing. And cake!
Harvest: 5 pods okra, 1/2 pound green beans

Saturday:
Zucchini Pizza boats, cucumber slices, and cake!

Sunday: I had out the lamb in the refrigerator to defrost and invited Son2 and DIL2 to come help us eat it. It was great having them all together.
Herb stuffed boneless leg of lamb,  potatoes, asparagus, lettuce wedge and of course cake! 
Harvest: 2 cucumbers, 1/2 pound green beans

And now I go into this week and a lot of the meals I had planned on cooking have already been eaten.  
Of course a lot of things that were not part of the plan have been eaten too.  When I look over the remaining meals on the list I am not entirely inspired by some of them. I guess I will just see how this week plays out.

Hope you all have a great week on plan, off plan or with no plan at all!

24 comments:

  1. The grumps are certainly more contagious than Covid - and unlike the virus can be spread through phone lines/internet usage.
    I am glad that you were only infected for a day.
    Good luck with the meal plans. Later today I am going grocery shopping and any plans will depend on what looks fresh/took my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I had the grumps only briefly too, but I was NOT the source of contagion!

      Delete
  2. About Thursday experience--I hate being up so early like that. I start to suffer later in the day. Sometimes, i become so stressed that i cannot sleep the following night. It is just a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like being up that early but I refuse to sleep during the day when that happens to try to get back on a better routine.

      Delete
  3. Some days are just like your Tuesday. I'm grateful that my son and I have our spaces and can avoid each other when the frustrations are high.

    Your DIL sounds awesome! She's the kind of guest one appreciates having visit.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly have 3 of the best DIL's in the world. They are all so different from each other but such wonderful women. I am so lucky!

      Delete
  4. I too heard about the coin shortage. There was a sign at Lowe's asking for exact change if paid in cash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might have had the grumps on Tuesday, but, you also had a very delicious sounding cake to go with it! Mango with vanilla lime glaze? Yum! I'm glad to read that the mood improved as the week went along. I hope it continues to be well with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. We were all grumpy that day and actually into Wednesday morning. Then it disappears!

      Delete
  6. I didn't know there was a coin shortage. Maybe I'll gather up the change we have laying around and turn it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say there is one. I am not sure if there is or if "they" just want to track our transactions.

      Delete

  7. oh do we all have days like that! So nice though that you all spring back and get on with life after. Stupid me thinks of the Ikea restaurant when I read your DILsmenu-I'm guessing it was several steps above!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had the Ikea meal before. It is just not quite the same.

      Delete
  8. That's a good way to look at it. Like you I go to bed obscenely late (usually 1 a.m. or later) and get up around 8 a.m. and am forever wishing I could go to bed earlier but I just can't. I guess it's just a matter of rearranging our thought process then. And Swedish meatballs!!! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious but I also appreciate that she made it into an authentic meal with the songs and schnapps.

      Delete
  9. How nice of DIL3 to make you all such a great dinner. And very nice of you to give the change to your son and DIL3 and still put the same amount into Pip's account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a fantastic cook and I really did appreciate the meal!
      I will have to wait a bit to put it into Pip's account but she is only 6 so I figure I will just add it 5 bucks at a time and will never miss it that way. After all I have 12 years before she will get it anyway!

      Delete
  10. My family doesn't even have a meal plan. We just rely on the inconvenient spontaneity of staring at the fridge for 10 minutes, wondering what to make for dinner. This is definitely going to be a week with no plan at all for us!😂💜

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to never do meal plans, and still don't too much, but with covid-19, we're having someone shop groceries for us (yeah, we're wimps, I know). Which means I have to think ahead and tell our shopper what to get -- which means I have to think about what we will want to eat days in advance. Not how I'm used to cooking. But I'm getting better at it. I still use the ingredients I ordered, just not usually in the dish I imagined I'd be making. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of punting as well. I am actually going to the grocery store about once every week and a half, and I hate the process of blazing through with a list and no dawdling. I am planning and sometimes the meals happen, most of the time with changes. It's life now!

      Delete
  12. TOTALLY FREE FROM HEPATITIS B. FOR OVER 5 YEARS LIVING WITH IT I’m Beyonce from Canada, i was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 3 years ago, i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn’t going to ever be well okay, i contacted so many herbal doctors about herbs to cure me and ended up spending some amount of money but i never got better i was determined to get my lifestyle back and to be able to do things am restricted from doing so one day i saw a lady’s post on how Herbalist Dr. James cured her from the virus with his herbal medicine i contacted him through his email drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com we spoke, i told him all that i was going through and he told me not to worry that everything will be more better again so he prepared a herbal medicine and send it to me through DHL courier company and told me the dosage,after 13 days of completing the herbal medicine,i was totally different,so I went to see a doctor for a blood test ,After taking a sample of my blood for the test the result came out negative,i just can’t deny that i’m the most happiest woman on earth this very moment ,i’m so happy and thanks to Herbalist Doctor James If you are suffering from any kind of diseases such as HERPES,HIV/AIDS,ALL KINDS OF CANCER,COPD,PCOS,DIABETE,AND MORE contact him on
    Email..... Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com
    Website.....Https//Drjamesherbalmix.WordPress.com
    What's APP..+2348152855846

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.