Translate

Friday, July 3, 2020

Low Carb Gluten Free Zucchini Bread



As any of you who read this blog know, I am up to my ears in zucchini. This is the first time I have ever grown it because it is not my favorite squash. I much prefer basic yellow crookneck squash, but TheHub accidentally brought home yellow zucchini instead of yellow crookneck. A mistake anyone could make right? (NO!) Especially since the package said yellow ZUCCHINI, not squash. But I digress.

Now I am having to find interesting ways to use the zuke, while maintaining a keto diet. It has not been easy and I think I have about 10 of those suckers in the crisper right now.
 I decided to try my luck with zucchini bread, but not just any recipe. Instead I opted to use a keto recipe. I am copying the recipe as given, but will share afterward what I will change next time I make it. I feel the the given recipe is kind of like the first draft of a movie script. The basics are perfectly fine but it needs a little punching up to make it good.

Keto Zucchini Bread

2 medium zucchini grated
1 1/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
3 tablespoons confectioners Swerve
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon apple pie spice  (3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 t.nutmeg, 1/8t. allspice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 beaten eggs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350
Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment and generously grease the sides of the pan
Put the grated zuke in a colander and squeeze as much liquid out of it as you can.
In a large bowl mix the flours, Swerve, baking powder, spices, and salt.
In a smaller bowl mix the eggs, melted butter, cream and vanilla extract. Stir to blend well.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine completely. Add the zucchini and mix well.
Spoon it into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula
Bake about 50 minutes, but check after 30. If the top looks too brown cover the pan with foil to finish cooking.
Remove form oven and let it cool. Take it out of the pan, place on a cutting board pan and cut into slices, I halved each slice because the is how I wanted it. You do you and slice it however you want to., I cut mine into 8 slices, then cut each slice in half

I was underwhelmed with the finished product but it has some potential. It was not bad, in fact it was almost tasty, but was just a tad too bland. This is what I will do next time. Son3, who is not keto at a slice and declared it "not bad".

The following changes should make it good. We will see.

Variation 1: Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar Swerve
Add a dash of ginger to the spice mix
Add 1/3 cup chopped walnuts with adding the zucchini

Variation 2: Omit the spices add all the above additions  (except for ginger) and also add 1/4 cup sugar free mini chocolate chips.

Update: I put a smear of cream cheese and a dab of sugar free apricot jam. It turned so so into something seriously tasty. Experimentation is the key to life I guess.

I have so much zucchini I am probably going to try at least one of these versions again tomorrow







26 comments:

  1. I need to link this for my daughter, who will find non-dairy and egg substitutes, but loves the non=gluten flours. I'm hoping next month we benefit form zealous gardeners bounties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everyone has access to a wonderful fresh harvest this year!

      Delete
  2. Anne,
    I think I drooled all over myself. The zucchini can be fried just like squash. I never fry food anymore, but an air fryer would work. I accidentally brought home yellow zucchini that was in my squash order from the market. The guy said he put it in by accident with the yellow squash. I just used it like it was yellow squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the texture of zucchini and squash very different and I am a tactile eater. Zucchini squeaks in my mouth usually.

      Delete
  3. Thank you. Thank you. I would love to make this. I just ran out of my sugar-free jam this week and there was no room to add it to this week's order. Next time. I will also hold on until my garden zucchini starts coming. Please keep sharing those zucchini recipes as you develop them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Since we are harvesting zucchini every single day now I am going to be able to do a lot of experimenting!

      Delete
  4. I have a recipe for apple cheddar bread. I think, you may use zucchini instead of the apples. You could use feta cheese instead of the cheddar for more zing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds good. I might try and make a savory zucchini cheese bread!

      Delete
  5. That sounds quite reasonable. I would up the spice quotient - but then I always do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ill probably add more cinnamon and a whiff more allspice. The jury is still out on the nutmeg though. I feel compelled to always change something to suit my personal tastes. I tried this recipe exactly as it was written, but I will not next time.

      Delete
  6. I make regular (non-keto) zucchini bread, but, I add more spices to mine - 1 tsp. cinnamon and about 1/4-1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (I don't measure, but grate about half a nutmeg directly into the mixture) and add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. I haven't tried adding choc. chips, but, that would be a good addition, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really and truly don't measure either, but I am pretty accurate at eyeballing spices. This needs the chopped walnuts for texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I regularly put chocolate chips in zucchini bread and like it a lot. But it's hard to imagine any baked good that would be good with chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to try it with chocolate chips. Judging by the consistency of the bread I think it should freeze well. I have so much zucchini that need to freeze some plain zucchini but I might as well bake and freeze loaves, since the plant(s) will quit producing eventually.

      Delete
  9. Sounds so good, Anne. The cream cheese and jam would definitely step it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fairly tasteless without it. Son3 and DIL3 tried it both ways and they agreed

      Delete
  10. I don't know if this help with Keto but I will take zukes (that's what I call them too!), skin them, chunk them small and freeze. Then I add them to homemade ice cream to use as a tasteless filler/bulking agent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exactly keto but I have been know to go rogue sometimes.

      Delete
    2. You can make it keto but using zukes, almonds and whatever else you fancy. That's the fun part about making homemade ice cream. Like for me, when I do make it, I make all mine dairy-free. For you, you can do it the KETO way just by leaving out whatever you can't eat. So fun!

      Delete
  11. This looks delicious. I think apricot jam makes everything tasty! 😊
    I always think I should try new zucchini recipes, but when I have them, I cook it the same old way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make things better. The cream cheese added creaminess (the bread itself was dry) and the jam was just the perfect topping.

      Delete
  12. i once made a chocolate zucchini cake. It would have been good if it hadn't been undercooked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.