Translate

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

I've got that joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart

If any of you remember that song in the post title from childhood Vacation Bible School or Sunday School days feel free to sing along.
As usual for my Wednesday Post I am recounting the joys that happen each day. I suppose this might be my online gratitude journal. Joys happen daily, somedays large and some days small, but they do happen regularly. Somedays I have to look a little to find them, but they are always there. I think finding  something wonderful on even the darkest day might even be the ultimate joy. So here goes the list for week 29.

Wednesday: It was a lovely day, hot but lovely, and I got to do mostly what I wanted to do. I did have to run to the grocery store and DIL3 went with me to Aldi. She is a lovely woman who grew up in Switzerland (probably because her family is European, huh?) . The minute we walked through the doors she said she felt like she was back home. Aldi for the win!
As an aside, I have been telling her to quit asking if she can have something or look for something, but to treat this like it is her house. She finally is! I am thrilled! I want all of my DIL's to feel at home enough to just grab whatever they want or need when they want or need it.
Then to top off the day, DIL3, with Son3's chopping help, made us a delicious Swiss dinner.

Thursday:Watched more Killing Eve. The writing and acting on the show really does bring me joy. I adore well turned story lines and fine writing.
Did more stuff, have no idea what.

Friday: Officially turned the keys and title to Mom's car over to its new owner. Hooray one less thing to worry about. Also sold sherbet dishes on a group Facebook site. Then went on a little road trip intending to stay overnight at the lake. That kind of fell through, but the lake was beautiful for the couple of hours we were there.

Saturday: Hot day in the summertime! It was very hot and humid and muggy and the kind of day that makes mask wearing hard to handle. My option was the stay home or be hot. TheHub and I ran a couple of errands and it is amazing how fast we can get them done when we are wearing masks. No dawdling, just hit and run then make a beeline to the car for a little sanitizing and de-masking.
Later Son2 and DIL2 joined us for dinner, and laughs.

Sunday: TheHub and I woke, had coffee and streamed church. That always brings me joy, especially since they are working so hard to maintain church services and safety for those of us who don't want to sit outside in the sweltering sunlight to be part of the "live" service.
TheHub and I sat on the back porch and watched a thunderstorm roll in. I love feeling the drop in temp and the wind as the storm begins. Then unless the lightening is right on top of us we stay and enjoy the whole thing. We may or may not both have fallen asleep in our respective chairs.

Monday: A woman who had been thinking of buying Mom's bed bought it (finally) and took it home. Yay! Another thing out of the way.

Tuesday: The day was a darker day than most and filled with some angst, but there were still some joyful moments. One of my cousins received a difficult diagnosis that broke my heart. I did talk with her Tuesday night and she sounded so much better. That filled me with joy and hope. None of us get a perfect day or life so I am trying as hard as I know how to hang onto the bright moments that happen.

I hope your 29th week of 2020 was a good week and I hope you find joy every day for this new week.  
Today I begin the official 30th week of the year, and I am looking for all the brightness the week has to offer. Does that even seem possible that we are on the downside of the year?

22 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for you cousin. I'm sure you wer happy to be able to be some comfort and support. 29 weeks of 2020 done, and no knowns for the rest of the year. I guess we must focus where we can find joy despite it all. Thanks for the ear worm, Anne! I'm humming while all the verses flow through my head. Remember the tongue twister verse "I have the peace that passes understanding" and then the "if the devil doesn't like it he can sit on a tack". It has been ages since my kids were part of VBS, but fond memories-even when I was there as a child I sort of remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister used to sing "I got the Pete that Patt -is"

      Delete
  2. Likewise, very sorry for your cousin.

    For joy this week, I was just telling my chat group (sister, BFF) that I need to mentally adapt to this being a mid term situation (e.g. not short term, and while I can't emotionally commit to being long term, I suppose that's possible as well) & put things in place to better support myself & the kids during COVID. I survived the end of the school year knowing it was very short term. With school not starting up, it's been a real challenge for me. I need to find more joy in the current situation (where possible). One good thing is that I haven't been doing any international traveling, which was the least favorite part of my job. There's a lot more, and I need to spend some time coming around to all of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all going to have to find new ways of thinking and coping as best we can.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your cousin. It's never easy when someone we love is going through a difficult time.

    Thanks for sharing your joys with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not easy and throughout my life only my husband and sister have been closer and to me than he is.

      Delete
  4. I haven't thought of that song in years and years. Many decades, actually. Glad youre making progress with your mom's possessions. Sounds like your getting close to the end. Sending good thoughts your cousin's way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how/why the song popped into my peabrain, but it did and I felt compelled to use it.

      Delete
  5. How neat that your DIL and son made a Swiss dinner for you all. I'm sorry abut your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the luckiest person in the world because I have the 3 best DIL's ever!

      Delete
  6. Raised in a tradition of good old fashioned secular humanism, I didn't hear that song until well into my 30's. Growing up my, other than being invited by a friend to eat latkes at Hannunkah, and to attend a Purim service with my parents, my church experience existed of hearing church bells peal in our town on Sundays and for weddings, and, later, as a teen, sitting with my mother and scoffing at Jerry Falwell on television while we drank coffee.
    I am crushed for my college boy that campus classes won't be starting. On the other hand, I am looking forward to having my kids home with me--who knows how long that will last? Our public schools are offering options: 2 days on campus/2 days online; Fully online; or enrollment in the district sponsored homeschool cooperative. My sophomore will do the 2 on/2 home, and my Running Start student, who only has a math class via the high school, though she wants to take it fully online, will do the same. (She really needs in person instruction for math.) All her other classes are distance ed. at the community college. Unlike my son, DD LOVES online learning. Girl is still an outlier--her mother hasn't gotten in touch with me, (no surprise) so I don't know which option she will pursue. As registration is due by 7/28, I may just make Girl make a decision and run with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy I do not have to make a decision about school! I tend to err on the side of caution nearly all the time.

      Delete
  7. Actually, I am happy for the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy earworm today. That's a fun song to sing. Now I'm going to call my sister so we can sing it together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought as long as I had the ear worm I might as well pass it along!

      Delete
  8. I love thunderstorms too - although I wouldn't want to be in the mountains when they hit! And I'm glad you're able to sell more of your mom's stuff. All gone to a good home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching a storm roll in and unless the lightning is right on top of us we stay out on the porch for the duration.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin receiving a difficult diagnosis, but, wish her the best.

    I do like how you look for and find joy in each and every day. I hope you continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actively look for it Bless and some days it hides under a rock!

      Delete
  10. Not a song I knew - but a big hooray for joys. Big and little.
    I am also very sorry to hear about your cousin's difficult diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Big joys, little joys, they are all joys. But I am getting tired of being confined to the house most of the time. The upside? With Son3 and DIL3 around I am getting to hear live music again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A dear friend of mine received a difficult diagnosis recently and it really took the wind out of my sails. It's a shock, isn't it?
    I know the song and it really is an earworm! There are worse ones

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.