Translate

Sunday, July 26, 2020

Vegetable Stewardship

As those of you who read this blog know, I have been covered  up with zucchini. The plants have stopped producing  (hurrah) and today I am pulling the remaining ones. After mixing up the soil I am going to replace them with some yellow squash plants. I really do like yellow squash much better anyway.

I have frozen a ton of zukes in various forms, but I still had a produce drawer full of them. Instead of freezing them I was looking for another way to use them. Fortunately I found suggestions all over the internet. (How did I ever function in the kitchen without immediate  ideas?)

So I asked myself a few quick questions. Do I like pizza? Sure! who doesn't? Am I willing to gamble on a different method of getting pizza flavor without the trouble of making dough? You bet!  Do I need to use some of the big ass zucchini hanging out in the vegetable crisper? Definitely!

Dinner became a no brainer. This is not a recipe but more of a formula. Use it as is, change it, make it your own. I was limited by tastes so these are a little simpler than I would have made if it had just been TheHub and me. (Son3 does not eat mushrooms or olives and is not fond of peppers. I was keeping it simple and made all of these the same so I did not have to remember which was for whom)

                                                                Zucchini Pizza Boats


I large zucchini per person
pizza sauce
cooked sausage or ground beef (I assume everyone has cooked sausage in their freezer, right?)
pepperoni
onions (and other toppings of your choice)
mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
cheddar cheese, grated
pepper jack cheese, grated
sprinkling of red pepper flakes (optional)

Wash the zucchini, cut the stem and the bottom of the squash off then slice it in half. Scoop the seed out to form a hollow, and place in a baking dish.Spoon  pizza sauce (Make your own, or buy it. the end result will be close to the same) into the hollowed out area, and sprinkled cooked sausage over it, followed by lots of finely sliced onions. (My heart was hurting that I did not add green peppers, olives and mushrooms here). Put in a 375 degree oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until the squash is soft but still retains its shape. Remove from the oven for the final touch.
Add chopped pepperoni followed by a healthy does of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle generously with the grated cheddar and pepper jack. Stick it back in the oven until everything is all gooey and melted and bubbly. Let it sit for a couple of minutes then serve to everyone who is salivating because of the incredible smells!

This was a huge hit, and is keto (even though I am not doing keto at the moment, but I should be). Everyone here loved it, I have leftovers for lunches and it will be a permanent meal in our food rotation. Yes, it was that good.

Try it, it's tasty and a great way for additional veggie intake.  (And no one here missed the traditional pizza crust!)

33 comments:

  1. It does sound good - and yes, my heart would ache for the absence of olives and mushrooms too.
    I love that it CAN be individualised (is that a word?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be and next time I will make it like I want it!

      Delete
  2. I have to ask, why not make some with all the extra yummy vegetables, olives etc. and leave the palateless folks more plain? REgardless, if I am so lucky to score anyone's extra bounty or if they are cheap enough, these will be a winner i my family, at least for me and the girls.Hubs would eat and not complain, because he is being fed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do them individually because ai crammed them in the pan and didn't want to have to remember who got the good stuff and who didn't. I knew the cheese would hide the veggies so . . .

      Delete
    2. I figured there was a practical reason.

      Delete
  3. Those look and sound good! I have gotten in into the habit of making meatball subs for the family and making my meatball sub with zucchini as the bun. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mentioned zucchini boats to Tommy. He was skeptical when he found out what it was. But, he would eat it minus olive and mushroom. So, i will make it and he will like it and like he is being fed...lol. I have ground pork in the freezer, lots of it, but not cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love grilled zucchinni! We add shredded cheese and bacon if we have any left over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so good, Anne. And I've seen them with different fillings online too, but pizza is my favorite. If I had any zucchini, this is what I would make. I suppose you've hear the joke that locks were invented for when your neighbors are growing zucchini, right?! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty and easy. I am tired of eating zucchini and have threatened all my neighbors with a "gift"

      Delete
  7. what a great idea and I agree, what did we do about inspiration or finding a recipe we were already inspired to make before google?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we just ate crappy squash and I probably threatened my kids with the "starving children" in other nations guilt trip.

      Delete
  8. Zucchini loaded with good stuff. I'm not sure it should be eaten any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure I could convince my son, but boy that does sound good. Like your son, I don't care for mushrooms and olives but we eat lots of peppers. Tonight's dinner was homemade sloppy Joes with peppers in the mix.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And then, there are those of us who can't get their zucchini plants to grow, or, if they do grow, produce anything other than a single 4-inch zucchini! I am going to try, again, next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year we have had these results but we put a raised bd in the side yard and the results have been staggering, except for the cucumbers. They have barely been producing anything but male blooms.

      Delete
  11. I would eat everything BUT the zucchini. When I was a youngster, my parents had a garden one summer, and grew lots and lots and lots of zucchini, as well as other squash. My mother loved to see how big she could grow the zucchini. Some were easily 12 inches in diameter, and tough as nails. That summer, I spent many a dinner squishing the tough-ass zucchini under the table mat, or wadding it up in my napkin, and finally, sticking it in my pocket to flush down the toilet. I finally worked up the nerve to declare I was never. Eating. Squash. AGAIN!!! To my utter surprise, my mother respected my wishes. That summer, which my father later referred to as "Zucchini Armageddon" is why I refused to force my kids to eat anything they dislike.
    But...I have made a sweet zucchini pie--it's like a pumpkin pie. You peel and seed a zucchini, then cook it. Drain it, puree it, then follow your favorite pumpkin pie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were gong to pull all the zucchini today, went outside and the dang things are covered in blossoms It is part of some evil conspiracy to make me eat more of it. To be honest other than kale it is probably my least favorite veggie.

      Delete
    2. You could make the relish and give it as gifts. Also, you can shred it, and freeze it in ziplock bags, pulling it out later for zucchini bread and the like.

      Delete
    3. I have it shredded and frozen, doodled and frozen, chopped, sliced you name it I have frozen it.

      Delete
  12. That sounds great. Sadly, our zucchini plant has been a big disappointment

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks just lovely. That's the problem with zucchini though isn't it - when it comes in you get tons of the stuff and nobody can face them any more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so delicious. I must try this recipe sometime soon.

    I wish I could grow zucchini. I tried several times, and each time they died. I wish you were my neighbor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had this kind of success with them, but they are growing like wildfire this year.

      Delete
  15. TOTALLY FREE FROM HEPATITIS B. FOR OVER 5 YEARS LIVING WITH IT I’m Beyonce from Canada, i was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 3 years ago, i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn’t going to ever be well okay, i contacted so many herbal doctors about herbs to cure me and ended up spending some amount of money but i never got better i was determined to get my lifestyle back and to be able to do things am restricted from doing so one day i saw a lady’s post on how Herbalist Dr. James cured her from the virus with his herbal medicine i contacted him through his email drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com we spoke, i told him all that i was going through and he told me not to worry that everything will be more better again so he prepared a herbal medicine and send it to me through DHL courier company and told me the dosage,after 13 days of completing the herbal medicine,i was totally different,so I went to see a doctor for a blood test ,After taking a sample of my blood for the test the result came out negative,i just can’t deny that i’m the most happiest woman on earth this very moment ,i’m so happy and thanks to Herbalist Doctor James If you are suffering from any kind of diseases such as HERPES,HIV/AIDS,ALL KINDS OF CANCER,COPD,PCOS,DIABETE,AND MORE contact him on
    Email..... Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com
    Website.....Https//Drjamesherbalmix.WordPress.com
    What's APP..+2348152855846

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.