Translate

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Half of the 2020 Joys Are Done





The year is halfway over. Can you believe it? And what a year it has been! And I mean that not in the
best way possible. I do not like to hurry time, but I am glad we are on the downhill side of this year.
When I look at the daily joy posts for the year 2020 I hope I will see a dramatic difference from the first half of the year to the later part.
 I am still busy looking for the daily joys that occur knowing that each day has something joyous but also knowing some days I might have to look really hard to find it.

Wednesday: Talk about a tiny joy! I was outside on the front stoop dead heading a hanging impatiens basket when I saw something move. I am so glad I had my phone in my pocket so I could capture a picture of a lizard that was less than 2 inches long from the top of it's snout to the tip of its tail. I watched it watching me for several minutes.


                                For scale this blossom is slightly larger than a silver dollar.


Thursday: I have mentioned before, four absolutely darling girls  live 2 houses down the street from me. A lot of times if I am on the screened porch having coffee, I can hear and see them playing. I don't think I will ever live in a retirement home unless one day I am forced into assisted living. I love the sounds of kids playing, the thump of a basketball on a driveway,  the giggles when a group of kids ride by on their bikes, or the sounds of the toddlers and babies who are out for walks with their parents and asking a million questions. Fortunately I live in a mixed age neighborhood so I get to see people my age, older than me, younger than me, and children on a regular basis.
I found a snow cone machine at the lake place when I was cleaning it last weekend. It has outlived its usefulness for our home, and needed to live elsewhere. I asked the girl's Mom if they could have it, and she said they would be very excited to get it.  I also found 2 nearly full reams of copier paper at Mom's that had been shoved into a cabinet and the ends  were curled. Since I could not use it to copy,  I figured it would make great art paper for  the girls. Later in the evening  I received  pictures, sent to my phone, of them having snow cones while drawing. Made me very happy!

Friday: My cousin  was coming to Mom's to pick up the furniture her neighbor needs for his transition into assisted living in the early evening.  It was a small joy, but it meant my sister and I could wait until later to go to Mom's. I was able enjoy a couple of cups of coffee without rushing and get a few chores done at home without having to leave to run to Mom's. An added joy? In addition to the things D. had asked about, she took a toaster, a few wind up toys,  and most importantly a table that had belonged to my grandmother. Neither of us wanted it, but we wanted it to stay in the family, so now that is done and we are happy!

Saturday: I spent most of the day working in the house to get things in order before Son3 and DIL3 escape from NYC to have a couple of weeks lounging around the house. I can't imagine being quarantined in a 2 bedroom apartment since March with my main escape either dashing to the grocery store or sitting on the fire escape. Here, they can swim, hang out in the yard, grill food, and have friends over for a distanced patio visit.
I guess my biggest joy for the day was getting the laundry room fridge completely cleaned out, and making a huge dent in the rest of the room. I have too much stuff!

Sunday: After watching our online church services, I started tackling the kitchen. I needed to completely clean out the cabinets and drawers, fridge and pantry. Things look really nice now and that brings me some joy. We also watched a couple of episodes of The Man in the High Castle. We finished the series because we wanted to be through with it when our Son and DIL arrive. That makes me happy, but I do admit the final episode was pretty unsatisfying.  I am not crazy about story lines that are portrayed as important and vital to the tale which are dropped when a hurried ending is needed.

Monday: I spent the day cleaning, but I have find something joyous to do when I have tasks. I take my tablet and pull up a Netflix documentary. I turn the volume up and just listen as I clean. Works like a charm and I don't feel as isolated, except when vacuuming of course.
I had one other very small joy but it was a true one. I love to go to sleep reading with classical music playing in the background. TheHub has always needed complete darkness and silence in the bedroom. (I don't understand it because he falls asleep every night in his chair in the den with the lights on and the TV going) Now with my iPad set on the black screen I can finallynread in bed without disturbing him, but silence has been a must.
I always go to bed much later than he does and. make as little noise as possible while I am getting into bed. Last night I  was brushing my teeth and came out of the bathroom to the sounds of a thunderstorm. I was not surprised because we had them a few times during the day and evening, but it turned out that he had found white noise on the Dot, so I got to read then fall asleep listening to thunder and rain. I loved it!

Tuesday: My sister and I finally tackled the walk in closet in Mom's finished basement. Now the room is nicely displayed and looks like a Christmas shop. I knew Mom had a lot of decorations, I just had no idea how many. I am pretty sure she was over the legal limit for Santa's. There were a couple of finds that thrilled my sister and I beyond belief.  We found two old molded light bulbs that were on the tree when Mom was a young girl. Of course they no longer burn, they never have in my lifetime, but I was overjoyed to find them. We will each have one for our tree this year. We also found some ornaments that hung on every tree I can remember from childhood on, and an ornament from Mom and Dad's first tree. Priceless!
Added bonus? We emptied about 90 percent of the closet. Next stop is the unfinished part of the basement and Dad's workshop. Thankfully the basement was dad's domain and Dad was very organized so everything is neat and neatly labeled.

Hope you all find some joys this week. They are out there if we just look for them!



24 comments:

  1. i had to laugh at your comment about being quarantined in a little 2 bedroom apartment in NYC- my daughter soninlaw and 2 grands were quarantined in a 2 bedroom apartment in SF with soninlaw working from home in the master! Fortunately they decided to move and have a contract on a home with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths and an office! Yay for them. I so admire my daughter- I don't know how she did it since mid-March with no school for the 6 year old or playground for the kids allowed. Youngest is not 2 yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is rough! I guess you do what you have to do to get by! At least all mine had to take care of were the cats!

      Delete
  2. Small joys are still as valid as big joys. I am glad you manage to find them. :)

    I had to laugh about being unable to imagine spending quarantine in a 2 bedroom apartment. My daughter has been quarantined since March in her studio apartment. She only leaves her apartment to throw the trash and collect her mail, which she does only when absolutely necessary because hardly anyone else she meets in the public hallways in her apartment building wear masks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine my sons 2 bedroom is just a tad bigger than your daughters studio. They are in a tiny Manhattan apartment, both trying to work and teach from home as well as doing some recording. Their "studio" is a blanket lined closet. It upside is that one of the bedrooms has all their musical instruments in it, so they can get away from each other when it is teaching time.

      Delete
  3. Your joys are pretty damn spectacular this week. and some of them made me a bit misty (in the nicest way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are getting harder and harder to find as I seem to be more and more isolated form the world. I expect all of that to change later tonight though!

      Delete
  4. What wonderful joys you've found!!! I need to start looking for the joys too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are out there but sometimes they have to be hunted for. They like to hide among chaos.

      Delete
  5. Our neighborhood had many children. I, too, loved the sounds. But, in a few years all the kids grew up. It was silent for so many years and seemed unnatural. Then, when people moved in with children, it was pleasant. One family had four kids that were wild and were not controlled AT ALL. Their neighbor was their landlord and sold that house just to get rid of the wild children. Now, the children are coming back. The sounds are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have everything in our neighborhood from the not yet born to folks in their 90's. I love it.

      Delete
  6. Love you lizard picture and Nora Jones. One of my joys for today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the lizard picture too. I am not sure if I was the more intrigued when I took it. I think Nora Jones has a fabulous voice and I love this rendition of Summertime.

      Delete
  7. What a cute little lizard. It's wonderful when a gift brings such joy as the ice cone machine and paper obviously did.

    You've done a lot of work in your mom's house! I recall going through mom and dad's place, oh the memories certain items brought back.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like my neighbors and if I can do something to make their quarantine a little easier I am so happy to be able to do it.

      Delete
  8. I am a bit like your husband, except I can handle light and noise from OUTSIDE the house--refuse to close the blinds in my bedroom, but inside the house is another story entirely. I even turn the digital clock upside down when I go to bed, because the light bothers me. Kids rue the day if they make a sound after I go to bed--I tell them I'm training them to be considerate of a college roommate. On the other hand, the moon, car headlights, neighbor's porch light (1/4 mile away) and the city lights and sounds when I lived in the city actually made me feel cozy.
    I didn't get a chance to help clean out my parents' house, as I am across country--on the one hand I was spared, but on the other hand, denied...trade offs, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you were the victim or beneficiary of the trade off. Mom lived in this house for over 50 years. We have found several of my baby clothes, Mom's wedding dress, hats from the early 50's a dress that was my great grandmothers that looked like something Laura Wilder would wear, jewelry out the wazoo, china with place settings for 16. We are overwhelmed at the amount of stuff she had packed away. When my cousins came by the other day and saw everything out on tables for an eventual estate sale they couldn't believe the amount because Mom's house was always spacious and neat as a pin.
      Be glad you were denied!

      Delete
  9. It has been a strange year and although I hate to wish everything away, I am also glad that the first half is over.

    I'm so glad you found so many joys already. It makes me happy to read about the snow cone machine and drawing paper that you gave to those girls. It reminds me of the two little girls who live down the street from me and are always playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing kids play. Just the sounds make me happy!

      Delete
  10. You do a wonderful job finding joy every day. I've neen on one of my moods so reading your joys has me thinking about mine. I too do not want to live in a retirement community. Some day if we can do our longer stay travel, I want that in a bustling neighborhood too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if it were up to me we would live in a very urban setting, butTheHub is not crazy about it.

      Delete
  11. Great photo capture of the little lizard. Our dog Zoey is obsessed with them and will stalk them in the garden until she catches and kills the poor little things. So glad you are able to find joy. It's getting harder and harder for me, but I am thankful, so very thankful that my family is still healthy and doing well. That's really all I need to know. Everything else is just noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about everything else being just noise.

      Delete
  12. I so look forward to reading this list every week. It is always positive and joyous. I love the small joys in the everyday, and though you do it for yourself you do it for many of us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isolation has really been hard for me. It was not so bad before Mom died because even though I was just going to her house I could interact with her and one of her 5 sitters was always there so I had some additional interaction with them. Since then I have only seen my sister and TheHub. But that all changed at dark o'thirty Wednesday night when DIL3 and Son3 pulled in the driveway. Woo hoo! Life suddenly looks better!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.