Translate

Monday, July 13, 2020

Stuffing Our Bellies

Since Son3 and DIL3 are here I had planned several menus as possible dinner options. True to form I have never totally stayed on plan. Even if we have a main dish there are alterations in the original plan. Sue me!  it works for us and if you look at us closely (or from far away) you will notice we have not missed any meals!

This is what I thought might happen:
1.   Herb stuffed boneless leg of lamb, rice pilaf, asparagus, tossed salad, rolls
2.   Hamburgers and all the fixings, zucchini fries 
3.   Chicken enchiladas, Mexican street corn, green salad 
4.   White bbq chicken, coleslaw, green beans, Texas toast
5.   Pulled pork, baked beans, caulitato salad, pickles, buns 
6.   Lady peas, corn, fried okra, cucumber tomato and onion salad, cornbread
7.   Grilled grouper, sautéed crab claws, tossed. salad, broccoli, Italian bread
8.   Ham, au gratin potatoes, collard greens, dinner rolls 
9.   Steak, twice baked potato, tossed salad 
10. Snapper, zucchini fritters, sliced tomatoes, Greek bread 
11. Fettuccine al fredo, tossed salad. Italian bread
12. Greek chicken salad on lettuce leaves, crusty rolls or baguette
13. Squash, green beans, fried green tomatoes, coleslaw, cornbread
14. Grilled tuna steaks with mango salsa, zucchini fries, tossed salad, rolls
15. Bruschetta, tossed salad, assorted cheeses
16. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, green beans
17. Greek meatloaf, potatoes, tomato slices, green beans.

And this is what actually did happen: 
Monday: We did something but I have no idea what. Dinner was really simple plus I tried a new recipe for keto enchilada sauce even though I was not doing keto.
Chicken enchiladas, coleslaw
Harvest: 4 gigantic zucchini for dehydrating, 1 pound green beans (BTW zucchini dehydrates really well)
Tuesday: We worked down at Mom's (I say down because she lives down the hill from my house)  Fortunately I had a ham defrosted living in the fridge and instant mashed potatoes.
Ham, mashed potatoes, green beans
Harvest  3 zucchini, 1 cucumber, 1/2 pound green beans
Wednesday:  I remembered I had about 5 pounds of ground sirloin in the fridge and had to cook it all immediately. Most went into freezer bags, but some of it became dinner.
Spaghetti with veggie/meat sauce,  rolls and cake. Did I say cake?  (grated zucchini makes a delicious addition to spaghetti sauce)
Thursday:After working at Mom's all day getting ready for the estate sale, I was thrilled to come home to a meal cooked by my adorable DIL. It was so kind of her plus it was delicious.
Ginger honey chicken, ramen, green beans.
Friday: We worked the estate sale and I was hot, dirty and tired, so it became a take out kind of night. 
Blue Pacific take out. Best Thai in town!
Harvest: 4 zucchini, 1/3 pound green beans
Saturday: The estate sale was in the books. Geeze we still have so much stuff to get rid of though. This week I start the blitz on Facebook marketplace sites
Grilled steaks, tossed salad, au gratin potatoes, grilled bread, Caramel cake
Harvest: 2 zucchini, 1/2 pound green beans
Sunday: I slept in and woke about 8 in time to stream our church's service. It was a nice partly stormy(really stormy when it was raining) lazy day and I loved it! I had planned on cooking one thing but DIL was using the oven to bake polymer clay earrings. No big deal! I can punt cook  pretty easily.
Black beans and rice with conecuh sausage, sautéed zucchini and onions, tossed salad
Harvest:  1/2 pound green beans, 2 zucchini

If you are in town ride by my house and I will pelt you with zucchini! Hope you all stay on plan, veer off plan, or have no plan at all!
Bon Appetite!


26 comments:

  1. Might be a long haul for zuchini so eat them up on my behalf. I've never cooke lamb-wouldn't begin to know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lamb is delicious as long as it is not overcooked. We do chops just like a steak and a boneless leg I stuff with herbs, roll it and tie it then roast it like a beef roast, but only cook it to mid rare

      Delete
  2. I will email you when i will be driving by. Throw it out and it will catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dehydrated zucchini and it made great chips. I ate it with no seasoning on it. Others might want salt or something. Mine plain were very crispy and great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to give that a try.

      Delete
    2. I did mine in long strips to rehydrate later, fill with a meat filling and cook in seasoned tomato sauce. I don't like the flavor or consistency of them just dehydrated.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha sometimes I too forget what I did the previous day.

    I wish I lived close to you to get some zucchini. 😁

    Have a great week, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days come and go so fast, I can't remember everyday!

      Delete
  5. You've already had the estate sale! You and your sister are working at amazing speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister has a plan and you might as well go along with it.

      Delete
  6. I would love zucchini for zoodles. Too bad we're not close! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a freezer filled with frozen noodle "nests". Guess I need to just add a lot more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish I lived closer to get some zucchini from you! I've never tried dehydrating them! Should look into that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking at it as just one extra way to preserve them. T Pol wrote that her Mom used to dehydrate them for winter. I figured since I have so much of it right now I might as well experiment with it.

      Delete
  9. You have had the Estate Sale already? Colour me awed.
    And your meals all sound great to my lazy self. Even the ones I wouldn't eat that the other resident of the house would (if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have it, though we might have another with some seriously reduced prices. One thing we found is that no one does formal entertaining anymore. All those table linens and crystal and china just take up space.

      Delete
  10. I love that you take the time every week to make a meal plan so you can veer away from it or ignore it altogether. But you have a plan. My "planning" is in the morning while making breakfast. I pull something out of the freezer to defrost and that is the extent of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In these days of love and Covid I am trying much harder to stick somewhat to my plan simply to reduce the number of times I have to be in a store to buy food.

      Delete
  11. I'm with Susan, dinner plans are made at best the night before when I'm washing that night's dinner dishes, but more often the result of a dip into the freezer. I'm trying to clean out the bigger freezer so tonight we're having chicken strips and fries. Not my fave but it will do.

    Glad you estate sale went reasonably well. I recall very well all the stuff that was leftover at Dad and Mom's house. Much of it stayed in the house when we sold it, and I suspect much of that ended up in a dump somewhere.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am being very careful about going out to the store so I am a little more likely to stick to a plan and use what I have on hand.

      Delete
  12. Even my chickens will not eat left over zuchinni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a huge zucchini fan anyway and am having trouble using it all.

      Delete
  13. Your meals all sound great! And the zucchini sounds wonderful! Too many trees in our yard for a garden now, but soon the farmers' markets will have all the good veggies, tomatoes, corn, etc. Estate sales are interesting to attend but a pain to get everything together for one. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of our meals are good and a lot are just so-so, but we eat them just the same.

      Delete
  14. I like that you say you have meals that are "so-so". I'm the same, not every meal will be blindingly marvellous and that's just life.
    I'm quite a big fan of zucchini in ratatouille but it doesn't actually require a whole lot of zucchini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to have more so-so meals than really delicious ones because life kicks me in the butt some days and some days I am just not feeling the call to do more than just adequate.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.