Translate

Friday, March 5, 2021

9th Week of Joys

As is my habit now, I keep up with things that happen each day to give me joy. I save them to read again on New Years Eve. It was very nice last year, at the end of a very stressful year to see happiness on even the saddest days.

February came and went and now it is March, I always wanted to have a parade on March 4th and could start the parade by just yelling the date. Who knows, it might happen someday!



Friday: TheHub came home mostly on time instead of working terribly late. With all the late nights he has been working, not terribly late was a true joy. He did a quick clothing change and we left to grab some takeout. 
While we were out we drove around a little just to see lights and some newly opened places.
It was a little disappointing to see restaurants filled to overflowing. I am right there with the next guy and covid fatigue, and I understand the numbers were on the decline, but I also read about  possible uptakes in numbers as the new strains move in. I guess my Covid cocoon will remain intact for a while longer.

Saturday: TheHub only worked through mid afternoon, so we were able to do a little running around. After we got home TheHub vacuumed out my car. Bless him! Then we settled in to watch the Alabama/ Miss. State basketball game. Bama won__barely. Roll Tide!

Sunday: It was a nice day, even though the powers that be had told us it would be rainy. TheHub and I drove around and looked at potential places we might like to move to when we downsize. Even though I have told him emphatically I will not be moving for at least 4 years, he is ready right now. The one of us who has emptied two houses in the last nine months is not only not on board, but is adamantly not going anywhere. We did find a couple of neighborhoods with beautiful scaled down homes, but there are a few reasons we will never buy there. Most of all we do not want to buy a house with a yard that requires more upkeep than our current one
After riding around (and it was nice to see places I never remember seeing before) we stopped by DIL2 and Son2's house to drop some crap off at their place visit with them for a few minutes. I have missed seeing them!

Monday: It was a rainy dreary day with about a 25 degree temperature drop. It was not cold but it was chilly and especially chilly when you understand we had to turn on the a/c a couple of times during the middle of the day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Instead of plowing headfirst into sorting more lake move stuff, I read for a while and it was wonderful. Later while doing some deep drawer and closet cleanings (to  have a place to put this stuff from the lake that I neither need nor want) I found a face steamer that I have had for a couple of years but never used. I think I will start using it a couple of times a week for some good old fashioned pamper time.

Tuesday: It was still rainy and much cooler (southernism for freezing my butt off). I had several errands to run and ended by meeting my sister and may cousin at Mom’s house. She wanted Mom’s kitchen chairs and we were thrilled to give them to her. Mom would be so happy because they were so close  (and secretly she was Mom's favorite niece)
Later we settled in to watch Alabama/Auburn on TV. I only like basketball when the season draws to an end, and we are at the end now. I think it gets very exciting in March. 

Wednesday: Wow, I wore makeup two days in a row now. I think it was a post Covid record! 
After my grandmother died, my Mom and my aunt took her engagement ring to a local jewelers and had a duplicate ring made. Though I am not positive, I think my mom wound up with the duplicate, even though the rings were identical. Both rings had a ruby as the stone set in a rose gold band and mounting. 
When Son3 and DIL3 decided to get married, everything about it was non-traditional. Their life/their call!
They both had bands but she never got an engagement ring. Since neither my beloved sister nor I wanted the  Grandmother ring we asked DIL3 if she wanted it. 
When they were here at Christmas, she took it to the same jeweler who made it over 20 years ago and had it sized.  I got to pick it up for her. It is a beautiful and I am overjoyed that she wanted to claim the non-traditional ring for her own. 
Later TheHub and I went out to do one quick errand, and while we were out we phoned in a take out order to one of our good old standby joints. We had a few minutes to kill so we rode to our local rec center to see the newly renovated ball parks. We were able to pull into a parking space overlooking one of the fields and enjoyed watching kids play baseball for a bit. We spent hours and hours at the same park watching all three of our boys play, and it brought back wonderful memories of fun times.

Thursday: I had a nice conversation with Son3. His wife is nearly fully recovered from her bout with Covid and they heard they were approved for a new apartment. With the mass exodus from the city during the lockdown, apartments are a little less expensive than they had been. They will be moving to Brooklyn into a 3 bedroom apartment with green space, and saving about 400 bucks a month . Thrilled does not even begin to describe how they feel. I am very excited for them.
One the home front, there have been male cardinals vying for the affections of a single female cardinal. I love seeing the flashes of red fly by window as they dive bomb chase each other.

Have a great week finding joy! It is always out there as long as you look for it, but sometimes it hides and you have to look very hard! Now I am, off to reclaim my living room from the remaining boxes moved form the lake. That will be one huge joy in itself!

30 comments:

  1. Tommy and I have been going to the ball park and watching kids play ball. My daughter lives in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only watched for a couple of minutes but they were very cute

      Delete
  2. Lots and lots of joys this week - which is a joyous thing in itself.
    Thank you for the weekly reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always joys. I just have to be intentional about uncovering them.

      Delete
  3. Lots of joys again this week! I've noticed around here that all the restaurants have been jam packed every time I pass by. People are insane! Make up two whole days on a row?! I've worn make up exactly one single time in the past year lol. Have a fantastic weekend Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually worn makeup 3 times this week. It is a new post covid record!

      Delete
  4. I've recently found a Youtuber who live sin Brooklyn as opposed to Manhattan, and it seems a kinder friendlier community. I don't even know if that makes sense knowing nothing of NYC. I can imagine anyone my son chooses to marry will appreciate family history and non-traditional as well. I have ring for him, plus I would assume my MIL has several in her extensive array of jewelry she would give him for a future wife as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only been in Brooklyn a few times and it seems to be much more residential than Manhattan, but what do I know?

      Delete
  5. Love that your DIL3 wanted the ring! That is awesome. My grandmother wanted to pass on a very pricey ring to her granddaughters. I'm not a jewelry person, and encouraged her that my sister was a better choice. My sister had it remade & it's now her engagement ring. My grandmother was uncomfortable with me ending up "with nothing", so she bought me a very, very simple band. I love it & wear it on occasion to think of her. Good grandmother memories!

    I'm happy that my company has added a bonus vacation day in March, that the weather has been gorgeous, I finally did a 3 mile run that felt pleasant, and that I'm through the worst of my dreaded work tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that your work load is easing up, and that bonus day will be fantastic!

      Delete
  6. Lots of good joys! I'm glad your DIL3 is recovering well and to hear about the move to a bigger apartment for lower rent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. $400 is a lot of money to save each month in rent! I would be excited also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They figured it would take them three months to recoup the cost of the move and then it would be straight up savings!

      Delete
  8. Crown Hieghts in Brooklyn is where the little Jewish boy was abducted and dismembered. The Jewish men in their long black coats were running past my daughter's calling for the little boy. My g-daughter who had been pushing to walk to school, quit asking as it all frightened her. I suppose a place is safe until it isn't. Daughter has never indicated it is a dangerous place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2011, I think. It was the first day he had ever walked home alone. He made a wrong turn and was lost. My daughter considers it safe, at least the area where she lives.

      Delete
  9. I hope those rents in New York area stay down for a long time. I would love to live in Brooklyn, it sounds so romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope the city can rebound. It is very tough for those who make their living in the art community.

      Delete
  10. You can definitely see that you feel lighter since you closed on the lake house. I hope it continues. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I deserve anything, but I am glad the lake house closed. Now on to Mom's!

      Delete
  11. Even though you're not ready to move yet it must be kinda exciting to start driving round and looking at places (although the thought of the actual work involved would definitely put me off). It also helps if you know the area. If you move in from out-of-state/overseas you can end up living in a place that looks great on paper but when you move in - not so much. But that's great news for your son and his wife. 3 bedrooms in Geneva would cost an arm and both legs so the fact that they are also saving money is wonderful! Good for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house is entirely too big for us, unless all the son's families are here and then it works. I just don't have another move in me right now!

      Delete
  12. My kids got tired of trying to get me to move to a smaller place or to move in with one of them. Now my daughter and her husband are building a place on my land and can keep an eye on me this way while I stay home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived just two minutes from Mom and it was wonderful to be able to be able to check on her easily

      Delete
  13. That is so sweet that your Mom's chairs went to your cousin, specially since they were close.

    I'm with you on the overcrowded restaurants. I just don't know what people are thinking. When I do come out of the pandemic it will be with a very clean house and everything in order since I have been here for a year almost now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad she got the chairs also!
      I'm tired of being stuck here and hopefully before too long things will change. Even with spring things will change and I can be out in the yard at least

      Delete
  14. I can imagine moving is the furthest thing from your mind after this past year. Tell your husband that you'll move when every last bit of everything that you don't want or need is out of this current house. :)

    It's warming up here, we've had a few days above freezing so the snow is melting. We know we'll still get a bit of winter before the end of the month but we're definitely on the downward slope to spring.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is nearly here! I can look out my window and see the buds on my redbud tree. In less than a week it should be in full bloom.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.