Translate

Monday, March 29, 2021

Dinners for the Perpetually Underwhelmed

Like every week, I make a plan and then veer from it. I truly did not stray too far off the path this week though. It was a weird week filled with either drop dead gorgeous days or deadly skies. 
I put very little thought into our meals, just using what I had available to create lackluster dinners.  I think the only thing purchased for this week was a pack of hot dog buns. Yep I am just living the life.

This is what I planned:
1. Hot dogs, baked beans, coleslaw
2. Chicken and broccoli casserole, cuke tomato and onion salad
3. Fajita chicken casserole, tossed salad, rice or caulirice
4. Mac and cheese or fakearoni and cheese, lady peas, coleslaw
5. Spaghetti or zoodles with meat sauce, tossed salad
6. Keto pizza, salad
7. Take out


And this is what we really ate:

Monday: Monday night we planned to watch the basketball tournament, so we had what we fondly call a ball game meal.
Hot dogs, Cole slaw, baked beans, sugar free pudding

Tuesday: I had the meal planned and put together early in the day so all I had to do was warm it up. My beloved Sister and I worked sorting and gathering more things from Mom's and I did not know how late I would be.
Spaghetti sauce over bucatini, salad, garlic bread (AKA gussied up hot dog buns)

Wednesday: This was the treacherous weather day that never materialized. I just worked around the house then threw dinner together since I had everything basically in the freezer ready to combine.
Chicken and broccoli casserole, cuke tomato and onion salad

Thursday: This was the day the truly treacherous weather hit. There were storms and tornados for quite a while. For years when the weather was bad we would lose power, sometimes for as long as a week, depending on the severity of the winds. I was tired of having to throw out everything in the freezer that had ruined so I bought a generator several years ago. We have not lost power for more than a couple of hours ever since. I had no idea a generator was such a strong talisman.😝 Since I had power (and a gas cooktop) meal prep was never an issue, but I did go the lamest route possible.
Mac and cheese or fakeroni and cheese (cauliflower bits) lady peas (or none) coleslaw

Friday: Date night and I believe you have to honor traditions. I am wondering what I am going to do when life returns to normal. I am not sure I am going to like the idea of getting dressed up for. Friday night out. Sweats are my new best friend.
Takeout smoked chicken, collards, baked beans (or none)

Saturday:What can I say? I was just not feeling it.
Grilled cheese on keto bread with pickle slices, diet ginger ale

Sunday: This was a planned ballgame meal also. In fact we even ate in the den, which we never do. I am generally a dinner time drill sergeant and insist we eat at either at the kitchen or dining room table. I am getting soft in my old age. In fact, we even used paper plates, which I am pretty sure is at least a venial sin. I don't think it will permanently separate me from Heaven, but I am pretty sure at least someone up there must be shaking their head and tsking.
Pizza or crustless keto pizza, keto peanut mousse

So that is it for a less than stellar week of food, which, I assume, will be followed by another week of less than stellar eats. I am pretty sure no one is going to sue me.

These are my ideas for the week:
1. Fajita chicken casserole, rice or caulirice, mixed greens or coleslaw, keto cornbread
2. Soup and salad (no idea yet what kind__depends on what I find lingering)
3. Grilled tuna or steak, asparagus, mashed potatoes or caulimash, rolls or keto rolls
4. Spinach, artichoke chicken over mashed potatoes or caulimash, green beans
5. Rack of lamb, basmati rice (or caulirice), asparagus, rolls or keto rolls, some lame keto dessert.
6. Moroccan chicken over couscous (or more of that damned caulirice) tossed salad
7. Take out

Used this week
From the freezer
1 pack browned ground sirloin
1 pack cooked chicken pieces
1/2 bag lady peas
1/2 bag chopped broccoli
4 sausage patties (Sunday brunch)

From the fridge 
hot dogs
coleslaw
condiments
mushrooms
cauliflower
cream cheese
cheddar cheese
cubes
tomatoes
heavy cream
onions
eggs
monterey jack cheese
parmesan cheese
peanut butter

From the pantry:
can of baked beans
tomatoes
tomato sauce
herbs and spices
onions
bucatini
macaroni
evaporated skim milk
pack jello sugar free pudding
tasteless keto bread
mini sf chocolate chips

So go and have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.  




19 comments:

  1. It all sounds good to me! That would be my mother up there shaking her head and tsking. You should have seen how appalled she was the year I brought out the Turkey paper plates on Thanksgiving lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw those tornadoes in Alabama - they were horrendous, but I'm so glad you're safe! When we had a massive storm 3 days before my son's wedding I swore then that I'd buy a generator - but it's two years later and I still haven't gotten around to it! You know what they say about good intentions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you are/were safe.
    On Saturday I made a new to me recipe for mushroom arancini. It was a messy pain to make and by the time I completed making them I couldn't face them - and had salad for dinner. Perhaps I will cook them and eat them tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you share the recipe? We often have mushrooms as the main dish for a Sunday lunch.

      Delete
    2. Essentially it is make a mushroom risotto. Take it off the heat, chill it so it firms up. Then make balls, inserting a bocconcini in the centre of each one. Flour, egg, breadcrumb (breadcrumbs mixed with a little parmesan) each one. The recipe called for them to be deep fried. I will use the air fryer.

      Delete
  4. We save paper plates for big family gatherings, and even that makes my husband cringe. But, since he's not the one doing the dishes, he's not allowed a vote ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all sounds good. I over did a long walk so icing my knee and deciding what vacation night dinner will be. Maybe curry since there is loads of leftover pizza for the hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want Tommy to get a gernerator since we have a freezer of meat! And, some of it is cooked, ready to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we need to watch more ballgames. I like the sound of those ballgame meals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ball game meals are much tastier (and less healthy) than normal meals.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you were safe during the storms. All your meals (both planned and actually eaten) sound good to me! I made some soup on Sunday, there's sauteed chicken, too, and a ham waiting to be baked. This week's meals will be based around those items. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remember to take things out of the freezer for later in the week. I would love to bake a ham but with just the two of us there would be a ton of leftovers. I could wait until the after Easter ham clearances and pick up one then and have planned leftover meals!

      Delete
  9. You share some wonderful menus. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.