Translate

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Different is Delicious



Tuesday was rainy and cold; quite different from the shorts and flip flop weather we have been having. I never know how to act this time of year. The calendar says wear light colored spring duds (Alabama type calendar, not related to the equinox) but the day said otherwise. So I put on a sweater and slacks along with socks (I really do not like wearing socks) and real shoes and headed out to do my running around. Fortunately nearly everywhere around here has some sort of curb service, so I did not have to actually go inside anywhere but Publix and Mom's. 

I have found if I go to Publix between 3 and 3:30 the store is virtually empty. I assume it is because all the Mommies and Daddies are busy getting their kiddos from school, so I actually allow myself a couple of extra minutes just to see if there is something I can't live without trying.

If I am being truthful I will admit I really went to the store just to pick up 2 more containers of the pickle salsa while it was still BOGO, but I did get a couple of other things while I was there, including a lemon to use for dinner.

Saturday when I went with TheHub I picked up a couple of fennel bulbs. I love it and they have them all the time, but they were beautiful huge bulbs and they cost substantially less than they usually are. Score!

I had started a crockpot full of chili before I left the house and had planned on having coleslaw, but the more I thought about it the more I thought fennel slaw would be even better, which is why I needed to grab a lemon.

Fennel Slaw
1 fennel bulb thinly sliced (I just used a knife)
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons (ish) lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
chopped fennel ferns (?)

Mix the fennel and the onion slices in a bowl and stir to mix them thoroughly. Add the lemon juice and olive oil, combine well, add the salt and pepper and stir very well. Let the mixture stand at least 1 hour. Right before serving stir in the chopped ferns. This tastes like spring! It is so delicious and easy.
If you can find fennel bulbs at a good price try it and see!

26 comments:

  1. I WILL try your fennel slaw. Thank you. And I will have it all to myself which is even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. I might have to make it with the other fennel bulb__just for me!

      Delete
  2. Often on Tuesday I go to Publix for one last shot at their sales even if I bought it the Wednesday (first day of sale ads) before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't normally do it, but the pickle salsa was worth the repeat trip.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that fennel slaw looks good. I will have to get some fennel and try that. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    It was cold here yesterday too after all that nice warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your slaw recipe, it sounds great! It's a bit chilly here today, but not enough to make me wear real shoes. I went to Publix today, I grabbed the salsa too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture of your fennel slaw looks so pretty and tasty. However, I won't be fooled. Fennel is not my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fennel has very few people who are indifferent. You either like it or you loathe it.

      Delete
  6. Do I like fennel? Have I ever tried it? You have me thinking. I may have talked hubs into heading south next fall o a road trip-I remember you saying the days can be drastically different one to the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both fall and spring are fickle and can change at the drop of a hat here.

      Delete
  7. I'm with Sam, I don't know that I've ever tried fennel. If I remember correctly it tastes like licorice? Maybe... It definitely sounds refreshing.

    Like you, I hate wearing socks but I'm a few weeks away from taking them off for at least a few months.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not as strong as licorice (which I abhor) but is milder more like anise.

      Delete
  8. I wish you were closer, because I would load you up with lemons! Tell me more about this pickle salsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salsa is called pickle de Gallo and is a cucumber based salsa. I got the hot one because I do like heat, but they also have a milder version.. I am doing keto so I have about a tablespoon on a dab of cream cheese stuffed celery

      Delete
  9. Your fennel slaw does look very nice, but, I'm another person who doesn't like fennel (or raw onions, for that matter!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't like fennel this is not for you!

      Delete
    2. Black licorice/jelly beans are the only food I have found I dislike- if you served me fennel I'd eat it to be polite but I really don't care for it. I love cole slaw though and make it weekly- a fresh cabbage is so much better to use than the packaged slaw. My farm share has been giving me red and savoy weekly for the last month.

      Delete
    3. It is definitely not for everyone. It is not a food I would serve to anyone if I did not know how they felt about it. I can't stand licorice so it surprises me that I do love fennel.

      Delete
  10. I would add radishes to that fennel salad. I love fennel also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not even think of adding radishes. Good call though!

      Delete
  11. I like fennel salad too - but I add red apples and pine kernels to it! It is a bit of an acquired taste though isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually add apples or green pears to mine__but keto.

      Delete
  12. I love just about any kind of slaw. Yours looks delicious. My husband used to make turnip slaw. I miss having that and never knew his recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.