Translate

Monday, March 15, 2021

Dinner Time!

A plan is only as good as the idiot who planned it. I blame the universe! 
And Beware the Ides of March!!!




This was planned:
1.Caulitato/fennel soup, dinner rolls, tossed salad
2. Meat loaf, mashed potatoes or caulimash, green beans, cornbread
3. Chopped chicken salad, dinner rolls
4. Broiled or grilled grouper or snapper, coleslaw, keto hushpuppies
5. Steak, salad, asparagus, baked potato or not.
6. Macaroni and cheese, or fakearoni and cheese, peas, coleslaw, keto cornbread
7. Take-out

This happened:
Monday: It was a gorgeous night, perfect for firing up the grill. (OK, in reality it was a perfect night for lighting a match and sticking it near the gas jet. The grill then fires itself up.) I forgot to take a picture of the meal though. TheHub and I do not eat like we once did and now split a T-Bone or Porterhouse, so imagine a half of a steak, on a plate.
Steak, tossed salad, dinner rolls or keto roll

Tuesday: TheHub has been craving rotisserie chicken from Publix and offered to stop and pick one up on his way home. Does this look like the face of an idiot?
Rotisserie chicken, couscous (or none) broccoli spears, sliced cukes, dinner rolls or keto roll.




Wednesday: I had planned on grilling fish, but TheHub called and said he would be a little later for dinner, and fish does not hold well. Instead I decided to use something I had just bought that day. Aldi was doing a St. Pat's promotion and had bangers (sausages) on sale so I got them. They tasted fine but had the texture of Vienna sausages. I am a tactile eater and that makes them a never eat again for me.
Irish sausages over a bed of kraut, mashed potatoes (or none), some of that incredible pickle salsa. 



Thursday: TheHub called right before I was starting dinner to tell me he was going to be later than his normal late. I put the brakes on the meal I was planning and started something that I could cook, but would hold easily. I was planning on having it this weekend anyway, so it was just a small change.
Keto caulitato* fennel soup, grilled cheese sandwich made with real bread or a sponge keto bread.




Friday: Though he has been a pretty good sport about my extreme caution with Covid exposure, TheHub asked if we could go out to eat and sit outside. Normally I might say yes, but the restaurants I have seen with outdoor dining are filled to capacity and I was just not willing to go quite yet, even though the weather was perfect for it. Maybe we could take baby steps and start by having a late lunch somewhere. Instead we did the take out thing. Sadly I turned down a really nice meal al fresco to wind up with this.
Capt'n D's grilled fish with green beans and coleslaw

Saturday: TheHub had been talking to some of his friends about a "new" butcher shop. I think it has been opened for about 8 years. I have been to it but he had no idea it even existed. He worked from about 6 until 4:30 and called on his way home to see if we could drive there to see what they had. Uh, meat! Anyway we picked up a few things which changed our dinner plans. Sorry, I ate it before I thought about shooting a picture!
Grilled burger patty, coleslaw, peas and carrots (or none), rolls or keto bread

Sunday: TheHub worked about half of the day, then came home and we spent the afternoon and early evening doing various things. Long story short, I forgot to take anything out of the freezer. It was about 7 and with the return to daylight savings time, my internal clock is off.    I had not even begun to think about dinner. This was when I was very glad we keep a well stocked fridge and pantry.
Antipasto salad with homemade Italian dressing (OK, olive oil and wine vinegar, with Italian seasonings , salt and pepper)


Possibilities for this week:
1. Keto Pancakes and sausage, (possibly eggs for TheHub), fried apples (or fried "apples")
2. Cornedbeef, cabbage, mashed potatoes or caulimash
3. Meatloaf, green beans, keto cornbread, rice or caulirice, cucumber tomato
and onion salad
4. Chopped chicken salad, dinner rolls
5. Broiled or grilled snapper or grouper, asparagus, tossed salad keto hushpuppies
6. Take-out
7. Fajita chicken casserole, tossed salad, rice or caulirice

Needed to make:
Keto cornbread
Normal people cornbread
Keto dinner rolls
Keto cookies (I have been craving a cookie)

Storage used for the week: I did not use much at all from storage this week
From the freezer:
Porterhouse steak
keto bread
sausage patties (breakfast)

From the fridge:
heavy cream
lettuce
cauliflower
fennel bulb
cheddar cheese
mozzarella cheese
tomatoes
cucumbers
mini peppers
broccoli
coleslaw
pickle salsa
eggs (breakfast and baking)
butter
pickle salsa
black olives
condiments
salami

From the pantry:
oil
spices and herbs
rolls
couscous
peas and carrots
instant potatoes
kraut
pepper rings
cocoa powder
monk fruit sweetener
coffee
tea

Added to the freezer: 
2 boxes (18 count) breakfast sausage
1 pack andouille sausage
1 more corned beef point cut (Aldi 1.99 pound)
2 salmon filets

Needed for the week? Cabbage, other than it unless there is some serious stock up ad I am staying out of the grocery store this week

Now go have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all

*I did not tell TheHub I substituted cauliflower for the potatoes. He still does not know and thought the soup was very good. If the cook is doing keto, everyone who eats here does it too, to some degree!
.



25 comments:

  1. I'm having a tough time coming up with meal ideas. I'm so very tired of all the winter foods we've been having. We did get to grill this week too (though it was barely above freezing). That first burger off the BBQ tastes so darn good.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is that time of year here when we swap over to "cool" foods. During the late spring and summer we mostly grill foods outdoors and add a salad.

      Delete
  2. Even though it didn't work out quite as planned everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not all delicious, but it was all edible and no one died!

      Delete
  3. Cauliflower makes the best soup so I'm sure your hubs won't mind "doing keto" at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cauliflower so it was great to me. TheHub is tired of all my cauliflower, so I am just not telling him.

      Delete
  4. I will eat Vienna sausages, but I would be gagging if I bit into sausage and it had that texture! I cannot remember where I had a hotdog with same texture, and now I cannot remember what or where so I can avoid it. I won't go in a restaurant either, but I have not had the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vienna sausages make me almost gag, so these sausages were over the top for me

      Delete
  5. Your meals (regardless of whether they are on or off plan) sound impressive to me. We do the two meal thing here because himself doesn't do vegetarian. I wish he would. But then I suppose he wishes I would eat meat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will cook something additional for the non keto one, but basically he eats what I do. I will not make separate meals.

      Delete
  6. Your dinner ideas sound good to me, but I will remember that about those Aldi sausages. LOL

    I'm sitting here trying to think up my menu for the week. I am getting tired of everything it feels like. I need some new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, don't buy them unless you like mushy sausage.

      Delete
  7. Corned beef at our Aldi's was a bit more expensive--$2.99/lb. I'm not a corned beef person, but my husband got a couple of packages for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the variety you have in your meals, whether you plan it that way or it just happens. :) Daughter has requested pan sauteed chicken, so, that's what I'll be cooking this week - a big tray of it, which we'll have with different sides over the course of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to plan a variety, but then plans change so it mainly just happens.

      Delete
  9. Normal people cornbread. I saw that mustard on your meal and thought about Hubs and I driving to Salt Lake to get married, and we stopped at a drive in and ordered some fries and he covered them with mustard. I almost made him turn around and take me home. Now that I think of that it would have been a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your meal plan. How do you make your cole slaw- do you sweeten it? I love it but I have to use some sugar or maybe I could try some other sweetener? I bought 3 corned beefs at Aldi last week- froze 2- and will slow cook the third one for myself. I have fresh marbled rye bread coming Thursday from my farm share and lots of sauerkraut for Rubens in the fridge. I make my own Thousand Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a sweet slaw fan. Sometimes I make a savory creamy dressing but most of the time I just use and oil and vinegar based dressing with whatever seasoning blend is first out of the spice cabinet.
      I love Rubens!

      Delete
  11. I definitely can tell the difference between cauliflower and potatoes and/or rice. Maybe it is the way it is fixed and I should try again. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest there is a difference especially with the rice. The fake mashed potatoes are pretty darn good though. I have decided the key is to steam them first, then puree the very dry steamed cauliflower. Of course some heavy cream might be one of the keys to enjoying it!

      Delete
  12. That's been me lately, changung bits out on the fly. I love a good salad- your antipasta looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. Now that the weather is warming we will have a salad meal at least once a week.

      Delete
  13. oh wow you are way more disciplined than i am about planning meals. i kinda wing it, but with some vague ideas in mind...

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.