Translate

Friday, March 26, 2021

Joys and Chaos

Each week I try and capture the joys for the week. Some weeks there are more joys than others, and some weeks the universe resets your opinions about what is truly joyful. The latter part of the 12th week of 2021 did just that.


Friday: I forgot to record this on Friday so I was having to rely on my memory for whatever joys there were during the day. Other than making substantial headway sorting through the accumulations from the lake and Mom's house the day was pretty lackluster. But then came the evening when we went to Costco. This is a sad joy but it really did bring me some serious happiness. The Keto "ice cream" bars were in stock. I like having them in the freezer for an occasional sweet treat without the carbs found in the really good stuff. Later we bought some take-out and settled in for the evening television watch party.

Saturday: TheHub went to work early and I messed around the house doing odd chores until about 3. DIL2 and Son2 came over to watch the basketball tournament here. Bama played Iona a very tight game and barely squeaked by to win. Roll Tide! Then we watched whoever played the next game. I don't even remember who it was but someone won! And though we did not get to watch it, Alabama's gymnastics team won the SEC championship!

Sunday: I was able to "see" our church service online. I have loved being able to continue to be a part of our church family even if it is not live and in person. I miss going, but there is something to be said for participating while wearing pajamas. 
This was a red letter day. It was the first Sunday in over a month that TheHub has not worked in the office. Yeah he still worked from home but that is different! 

Monday: Slowly but surely I got plants out on the front porch (which is really more of a stoop than a porch, but I like to have it "dressed"a little anyway) so it looks so much more welcoming. The laundry room started taking shape as I sorted through boxes and boxes of stuff that'd  been moved here recently. I will need to have a thrift store pickup soon because I have another load. I know this will end before long, but right now it seems like I will be sorting forever.
TheHub got home in time for us to have a quick dinner before the NCAA basketball tournament began.  We watched part of the LSU/Michigan game before watching Alabama/Maryland. Roll Tide

Tuesday: My sister and I had plans to meet at Mom's to start gathering all the small things we had left there that we wanted to keep. Mom and Dad had a few antique clocks and we were keeping them in the family. The one I got was seriously old and had never worked, even though Dad has tried to fix it and had it worked on a couple of times. It is a beautiful old clock which serve no purpose other than being ornamental from the time I was a kid (6 ish), when they brought it home from an antique store they stopped at during a trip we took to Pennsylvania.
Tuesday I loaded up a bag of things, stuck the clock under my arm and headed home. I walked in the house, put the clock on a table in the foyer and heard it ticking. I figured the movement of bringing it in the house just made the pendulum swing and it would stop shortly. I kept going back in the foyer and noticed it was still ticking, so I set the hands to the correct time just to see if they were moving. At 2 o'clock I heard a funny noise and realized the bong was coming from the clock. Freaky! I guess Dad finally fixed it!

Wednesday: Have you ever had one of those days that you plan according to the forecast? Tuesday night the oft wrong "They" told us we were going to have rain with possible storms, so I planned an inside day. Instead the day was drop dead gorgeous and I was stuck inside. My new mantra is to quit listening to "They" and to plan my day when I see for myself how it is going!
Even though I was not outside a lot there were gorgeous birds and things blooming all over the yard.
We did catch the first episode of "Aretha". I love the NATGEO Genius series.

Thursday: The joys for this day were different than most joys. We had severe weather with multi tornados all around us. Earlier in the week I had some tree work done, some big branches that were hanging over the house trimmed and all the low hanging ones removed, and I was so grateful for it. Even though the winds were high, we had no damage and no branches came crashing down. The same can't be said for subdivisions not far from us. A couple of them were nearly obliterated. I am feeling tremendous gratitude and at the same time sorrow for those who lost their homes and for those in the state who lost their lives.

And now I intend to move into the next full week of the year with gratitude for every good thing!
Go find your joys. They are there just waiting on us to recognize them!

28 comments:

  1. I'm happy to see your post today. I don't personally know anyone in Alabama but thought of all my Alabama bloggers last night when those harrowing reports of tornadoes were being reported. I'm glad to hear you are safe and damage-free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bobi. It was a bad day/night and I am beyond thankful that we had no damage.

      Delete
  2. I think finding your ice cream bars is a fantastic little joy! The rest of the week sounds pretty fantastic too. I really loved reading about the old clock starting to work when you brought it home. Guess you did get a little visit from your dad. I'm so glad you didn't get any damage from the storms. I was just watching on the news this morning, the damage was so horrible! Here's to a weekend filled with joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The damage was more than substantial and one of the storms was literally on the ground from the middle of the state through the tip of Tennessee.

      Delete
  3. I thought about you when I heard of the tornados. I'm glad you were safe. How wonderful to have that clock working again, too! Hope the coming week will be a safe and joyful one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a scary weather day and I am beyond thankful things were fine here.

      Delete
  4. I am very glad that you were spared storm damage. I hear you on checking the weather rather than relying on what I am told too.
    I am particularly taken with the joy of having the clock working again. Himself has an inherited antique clock and I have spent hours and hours on it. Realising that the tick is continuing is a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good feeling about the clock. It is from sometime before the turn of the 20th century and has always been a beautiful clock. I had no hopes of it ever working again and here it is, just ticking away. I do have to keep reminding myself to wind it though

      Delete
  5. I am so out of it....I didn't even know any tornadoes touched down in AL.
    Your dad has mad clock skillz it seems....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was really bad here yesterday and now today is drop dead gorgeous__except for the pollen and it is everywhere!

      Delete
  6. I wndered how you were faring! Those trees were trimmed just in time, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I had them thinned and trimmed. It was a frightening day yesterday.

      Delete
  7. Oh Anne, I am so glad you all are safe from the storms. The damage coming out of Birmingham is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bad and I feel so much more than fortunate. Others were not so lucky.

      Delete
  8. Yikes, I hate big winds. Glad you had the trees taken care of beforehand.
    I chuckled at the description of the antique clock. I wouldn't be surprised if your Dad had something to do with it now ticking along.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clock is sitting on a piece they had in their foyer but is now in my living room. My sister and I incorporated several of their things in our homes. I hope Dad likes what we have done.

      Delete
  9. I love the story about the clock, but even more I'm glad to hear that you did not have any damage from the storms. Mother Nature can be very fierce at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very bad storm this time. I know tornados are fairly common here but they usually touch down then "jump" to their next spot before finally disbanding. This was an intense straight path tornado for about 100 miles.

      Delete
  10. I love thinking of the clock & how it "came back". Likewise, so happy to hear you & your family were safe from the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were beyond thrilled to be safe from the storm. It took out entire neighborhoods.

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you are safe, but I'm sorry for your neighbors. I got chills a bit reading your Tuesday Joy. Imagine the clock working on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was astounded by the clock. It had never so much as ticked once since my parents found it in an antique store.

      Delete
  12. I saw the reports of the tornadoes in Alabama and was hoping you were ok. I'm glad you were but feel so sad for those that weren't so lucky. And yep, your dad finally did fix that clock didn't he!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you weren't touched by the tornados!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too but I am so sorry for everyone who was. A couple of neighborhoods were virtually obliterated.

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed reading your week's activities while listening to Josh Groban serenade me. We are all so very sad for Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not something we are unfamiliar with, but boy do we ever hate it when it happens.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.