Translate

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Pie for Pi Day






 I am currently doing that keto thing, but did not want to miss out on the joys of pi day. If nothing else I am patriotic and will observe national holidays, but I also did not want to spend the time (or carbs) to make a keto pie crust. Looking through all the keto pie recipes I found, this one popped up. I am not going to post the recipe here since anyone who is interested can click and see it for themselves. Instead this is simply a recipe review and what I will do differently next time.

I am going to begin with the instructions for making it. They are specific about using a wire whisk to blend everything. The only reason I can see for that is they assume if you are making a keto pie you are probably chunky and need the exercise whisking provides. A hand mixer set on low would be perfect and blend things a little better. Next time I will use it and if it matters that much I will twirl my wrists while the pie is in the oven for the same amount of physical activity!

I love chocolate and think it should be a food group of its own, but this pie was too chocolaty for me. Next time I will reduce the cocoa powder by about 1/4.  I did not have the stevia glycerite (whatever the heck that is) but the sweeter was supposed to be the equivalent of a cup of sugar. I used monk fruit instead and found it a little too sweet. (TheHub, Son2 and DIL2 did not)  I will also reduce the sugar substitute by a couple or 3 tablespoons.

My final beef with it was the cooking time. I used the convection function on my oven and set it to 325 as instructed, then followed the directions as given. It needed a bit more cooking time, because after it set for the full four hours after cooking, it was still virtually impossible to get out of the pan as a slice. (Look at the photo and you can see how wonky it is) I will bake it a little longer (maybe 40 minutes total).

Oh and the buttered parchment paper did not do squat other than tear apart when the pie was cut! Save your paper and time!

Other than this is was definitely tasty enough to try again and was a good quick way to celebrate pi day!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was pretty good, but needs a little tweaking for me to really enjoy it.

      Delete
    2. I enjoy overly chocolate foods. And, gooey is great.

      Delete
  2. Some of the very best things in life are chocolate.
    Love your snarky comments about the wire whisk versus the hand mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do love a pie! yes what possible reason for the whisk i wonder? exercise as you say... i giggle a bit when i read about sugar, and using alternatives. i mean what do people think sugar is but a natural product of sugar cane? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't remember it was pi day until late in the evening, by which time, it was too late to bake a pie! But, your chocolate pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I ended up making a spinach pizza pie with lots of veggies and Feta/goat cheese. I'll be eating it for several days! My daughter and College GS have both had the Covid vaccines and my sister is getting her first one this week so things are looking up here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious looking pie. I'm sure you can tweak it to your satisfaction. I am a tweaker too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I'm not on a Keto. I already know the perfect brownie recipe. It's called a Ghirardelli mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it sure looks delicious. You cracked me up about the whisking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad that you couldn't have a real chocolate pie or fudge pie! I am very doubtful about all those artificial substitutes for real foods, and you seem to confirm my doubts.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. No pie gor pi day! I was too lazy to shop.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.