Translate

Monday, March 22, 2021

Robert's Rules of Dinner

The meals were planned and somewhat followed, but there are always additions and subtractions to the reading of the minutes the meal plan. This week was no exception and things changed quickly.


Planned meals:
1. Keto Pancakes and sausage, (possibly eggs for TheHub), fried apples (or fried "apples")
2. Corned beef, cabbage, mashed potatoes or caulimash
3. Meatloaf, green beans, keto cornbread, rice or caulirice, cucumber tomato 
and onion salad
4. Chopped chicken salad, dinner rolls
5. Broiled or grilled snapper or grouper, asparagus, tossed salad keto hushpuppies
6. Take-out
7. Fajita chicken casserole, tossed salad, rice or caulirice

Actual meals:


Monday:
 Monday was a mostly regular day for us. TheHub worked late and I was uninspired. I had cleaned out my crisper and found some produce that was hiding from me, which changed my meal plan. Then again what is a plan without changes?
Overly cooked meat loaf, brussels sprouts, brown rice (or none)






Tuesday:
 Tuesday was a nice day. Though the infamous "they" had predicted rain, the day was a little overcast in the morning and then the sun popped though with really warm temperatures. It was a shorts and flip flops kind of day. To me that is a message from the universe to have a summer type of meal.
Chopped chicken salad with homemade ranch dressing



Wednesday:  I freely admit to being a little more than teed off Wednesday. I had gotten up and started out St. Pat's dinner in the crock pot, chopped the cabbage and made a little keto dessert so it would be ready with no muss or fuss. The powers that be had told us major storms would be heading our way, which usually means outages. I made sure everything was ready in the event it happened. 
When TheHub finally came home from work it was late. (Much later than his usual late.) Instead of a festive meal I just plopped stuff on a plate. (No photo of anger dinner)
Corned beef and cabbage, keto grasshopper mousse 

Angry Irish music fit  for an angry dinner*



Thursday:  I planned a breakfast dinner, because I do not cook breakfast except on the weekends. I don't like food in my mouth in the morning, TheHub has been working every weekend, but keeps mentioning what he has been craving. This recipe is even a keto version and he still really likes it.  
Pancakes, sausage, fried apples or "fried apples"


Friday: Friday is our usual date night, which means we might run an errand before grabbing some take-out to bring back home and eat. We did exactly that Friday night, but I have noticed a pattern to our date night. We wear nice clothes (ok, at least acceptable daytime wear) to run our errands and/or pick up our meal, walk back in the house with the food, put it on the kitchen table then head to our bedroom to change into our date night at home eating ensembles___sweats. Yes, we are uppity like that!
Chili poblano from La Fiesta 

Saturday: TheHub went into the office early and worked until about 3:30 while I attacked the back hall which is still piled high with stuff from Mom's and the lake house. Afterward Son2 and DIL2 stopped by to watch the ballgame. I invited them to stay for dinner but they declined, so instead of cooking TheHub and I decided to grab some take out__again. 
Chicken, coleslaw, green beans, biscuit

Sunday: More and more ballgames to watch! We had them on off and on all day and even though our team was not playing we watched  anyway. I think it is a sacrilege to skip watching Loyala Marymount if Sister Jean is in the house. I am not. Catholic but I don't tempt fate when she is around. So our dinner had to be something quick after the end of the Arkansas/Texas Tech game but before halftime of Florida/Oral Roberts.  Thank goodness we can watch Oregon State/Oklahoma in peace! Color us obsessed!
Grilled tuna steak, smashed potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes and olives

And onto this week's meal possibilities:
1. Hot dogs, baked beans, coleslaw
2. Chicken and broccoli casserole, cuke tomato and onion salad
3. Fajita chicken casserole, tossed salad, rice or caulirice
4. Mac and cheese or fakearoni and cheese, lady peas, coleslaw
5. Spaghetti or zoodles with meat sauce, tossed salad
6. Keto pizza, salad
7. Take out

Used this week:
From the freezer:
meatloaf
package of cooked shredded chicken
corned beef brisket
sausage patties 
tuna steaks

From the fridge
condiments
brussels sprouts 
bacon fat
butter
romaine 
cherry tomatoes
cucumbers
lemon juice
sour cream
cabbage (bought for the meal)
cream cheese
heavy cream
zucchini
apples
sugar free syrup

From the pantry:
brown rice
seasonings, extracts,  herbs and spices
olive oil
swerve confectioners
Lily chocolate chips
almond flour
new potatoes (bought for the meal)

Added to the freezer:
Keto ice cream bars

Added to pantry storage:
4 jars chopped pimento
4 cans chopped chili peppers
4 cans tomato sauce

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!

*I really do like Flogging Molly and listen to them fairly often, but this particular song is a little harsh.


26 comments:

  1. Sounds like all worked out well - except maybe for Wednesday, but I'm sure the meal was still delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just teed off because I tried to make it somewhat special and special never happened. The food was eaten and life went on!

      Delete
  2. Love your plans and your flexibility.
    I had big plans for yesterday - but after dealing with an allied health professional (for me) and a health professional (vet for Jazz) they didn't happen. Today is soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the thing about big plans, they seem to change either willingly or unwillingly.

      Delete
  3. I want to see angry plates of food next time. Do you position them with frowns and bugger eyes? We like the College BB tourney too. We like upsets, as that would be the only way our teams would ever get far. My older kids college made it way back when they were in school. Yes, they were D1, but not real D1, and I think lost in the first round and I don't recall in the decade + they both graduated them getting to the tourney again. The current college kid as a a tiny liberal arts college, so the sports program are not exactly front sports page news, but fun before Covid pushed everything back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son3's school and had a tee shirt that said "Undefeated Since 1905". It is pretty easy to remain undefeated if you have no sports programs at all.

      Delete
  4. Laughing over anger meal. That's exactly what would happen at my house as well. ;-)

    Your husband seems to work a lot. Mine does as well. I'm curious as to how you think retirement will go for him, and whether he'll slow down. I have no idea what to expect for my husband, who tells me regularly that he never plans to really "retire", whatever that means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think TheHub will ever truly retire. He plans on doing consulting work afterward, but who knows. Maybe he will become a greeter at Walmart. I just want him to slow down because he is working 12+ hours a day right now. I know it is temporary, but it is a recurring pattern with his job.

      Delete
  5. Too funny about the angry dinner! Was it served with a side of cold shoulder, I wonder? :D

    But, your chopped chicken salad looks delicious and I might add that to my own meal plan for this week! The hot dogs and baked beans meal from this week sounds good, too (but, I'll have to have a different side for my daughter because she isn't very fond of baked beans).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely with a side of cold shoulder and a bottle of aloofness.

      Delete
    2. That's cute - served with a side of cold shoulder. I must remember that one!

      Delete
  6. You are so organized. Way to go!
    I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am far from organized!
      I like 7 Brides also! But then I love musicals, just about all fo them!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the 7 Brides spring song, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love brussel sprouts and especially love them overcooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I overcooked them by accident, but they were still fine.

      Delete
  9. Thank God is wasn't literally Roberts Rules during dinner, because I'd rather fast. Who knew Oral Roberts was a sports team? I thought it was a brand of toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never eaten using parliamentary procedures, but it might be an interesting take on the meal.
      I had no idea Oral Roberts had a sports program, but I did cheer for them just the same.

      Delete
  10. I had to chuckle at your description of changing into sweats before you eat your take-out. That sounds like something I'd do, though I usually just order in.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do breakfast dinners a lot -- probably 3 or more times a month. Just don't like breakfast for breakfast. I'm with you on not wanting food in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think breakfast foods in the morning are about the worst thing I can imagine.

      Delete
  12. Your meatloaf looks so good. I know you said it was overcooked, but that is the way I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did overcook it, but we eat stuff overcooked or not!

      Delete
  13. Ha! You crack me up! Sister Jean is more than a little popular here in Chicagoland, and I'm not Catholic either. She loves her team and I like them too and hope Loyola wins this coming Saturday! You said it all perfectly, "sacrilege" not to watch if she's in the house. I can't imagine if they didn't let her attend because of Covid!!!
    Your meal plans are always great, a wide variety of good stuff! I love corned beef but Bill won't touch it unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if Sister Jean were the only one in the arena I would expect them to let her in!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.