Translate

Monday, March 8, 2021

We Ate and We Didn't

I am looking out my window today and see a near perfect spring day. Though I know the weather can change on a dime I am still calling it spring. This is one of my favorite spring jazz tunes. Son3 actually played this as one of the songs on his audition tape when he was applying to school, so it is not just a great song but has good memories attached.




I am still trying to use what I have on hand vs. going to the store for anything but essentials. I am giving myself a little grace this month and if I see something for a decent price that I really want, I will go ahead and buy it guilt free. The same will happen for anything I see that is a true stock up price.


When I inventoried the freezer last week this is what I thought our meals would be:
1. Broiled or grilled fish, coleslaw, keto hush puppies (TheHub has been asking for either grouper or snapper)
2. Big salad meal, peanut butter mousse
3, Leftover pork chops, turnip greens, corn bread, applesauce or none
4. Chili, cornbread, coleslaw (weather dependent, it's been kind of hot here lately)
5. Cottage pie, with either coleslaw or tossed salad
6. Something cooked on the grill (possibly tuna steaks or T-bone) over couscous or caulirice, tossed salad, rolls
7. Take out

And this is what we actually wound up eating:
Monday: It was a rainy dreary day, perfect for staying at home and getting a lot done__or reading. Looking around my house it is fairly easy to see which choice I made. Fortunately I had all the leftovers from the doggy bag TheHub brought home the other night. All I had to do was a little slicing and warming, add some greens and a little balsamic to the sprouts, make the BBQ sauce and throw coleslaw together.
Sliced pork with keto BBQ sauce, Brussels sprouts and collards with a balsamic reduction, mashed potatoes or none, coleslaw.




Tuesday: It was a bleak cold windy day. I would have loved staying in with a fire in the fireplace and a good book. Instead I had to run a few errands and meet my cousin at Mom’s house. Lucky for me I started dinner in the crockpot before I left for the day. 
Chili, fennel slaw, and keto cornbread

Wednesday:  THeHub called and asked if it would be OK for us to go out to eat. He had a stressful day at wrk and just wanted to ride around a little then pick up anything except for what I had planned for dinner. We were originally going to go to Captain D's but their line was long and they are kind of slow. Instead we decided to go to our standby. Purple Onion's gyro salad

Thursday: Since TheHub did not want what I had planned for dinner Wednesday night so  I moved it to Thursday night. We are not wasting food here! Luckily I had not put it together Wednesday so Thursday's dinner was a simple assemble and bake process.  Nothing easier!         Shepard's Pie, coleslaw, pickle salsa

Friday: We did takeout as usual for our Friday nights. We feel a need to keep our traditional date night in a way that is comfortable for us. We have both had the second round of the vaccine, but I am still wary of the sit down restaurant experience. I know the kitchen is the same for take out and dine in, but at least with take out I can limit my exposure from other diners. A special thanks to La Fiesta's employee, Jenny, who makes takeout so simple with curbside delivery. (I forgot to take a picture)
La Fiesta's Pollo Loco or The Mexican Plate

Saturday: There was enough chili leftover to have it for dinner. I did not mind having a warmed over meal. (No point in taking a picture of a single bowl of chili)
Chili with beans or cauliflower florets, tortilla chips or cheese crisps

Sunday: We ate lunch late so we decided to forego dinner, except for a snack. (You all know what an apple looks like, and I know they are not keto but I wanted an apple.)
Apple, a slice of cheese and 2 pieces of keto chocolate
 
What's potentially up next?
1. Caulitato/fennel soup, dinner rolls, tossed salad
2. Meat loaf, mashed potatoes or caulimash, green beans, cornbread
3. Chopped chicken salad, dinner rolls
4. Broiled or grilled grouper or snapper, coleslaw, keto hushpuppies
5. Steak, salad, asparagus, baked potato or not.
6. Macaroni and cheese, or fakearoni and cheese, peas, coleslaw, keto cornbread
7. Take-out

Used for the week:
From the freezer
small pack collard greens (about a cup)
2 pieces keto cornbread
1 pack ground chuck
1 pound pack ground lamb
small pack green beans
2 packs frozen caulimash

From the fridge:
Leftover pork
leftover brussels sprouts
coleslaw
leftover instant mashed potatoes (I obviously have no shame)
leftover tomato paste (about 1/4 can remains)
condiments
eggs
cheese
fennel (purchased for the week)
mushrooms
chicken broth
keto steak sauce
lemon (purchased for the week)
cauliflower
John's coleslaw dressing
ranch dressing

From the pantry;
oils
vinegars, 
spices
herbs
condiments
red onion
1 small tomato sauce
2 cans tomatoes
swerve
1 can kidney beans
apple
keto chocolate

Added to the freezer: (I know I shouldn't but great deals happen rarely)
2 corned beef point cuts (Aldi purchase for 1.99 per pound)
2 pounds ground sirloin, browned (marked down for quick sale)
1 pack Trader Joe's turkey corn dogs (TheHub's purchase)

Added to food storage:
5 cartons of mushrooms, dehydrated
2 cans tomatoes (replacement for the 2 used)

Go have a great week on plan, off plan, or with not plan at all!






27 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed son3 can play that piece - it's just lovely! How nice to be so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meals for the last week sound delicious, Anne. We enjoy Polo Loco here too. We are getting our first vaccine today and are excited. We will still be wary of going out to eat, like you, until well after our second vaccine.

    I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will wait until more people are vaccinated before I venture out much, and I am pretty sure I will maintain the masked routine for quite a while.

      Delete
  3. Nice piece of jazz. I don't even remember what my daughter sang for her school scholarships audition-probably what se auditioned for All State with, her Junior year piece. I really won't be ready for in restaurant dining until we both get vaccinated, since my guess is guard's will be down with other diners. Good take out staff have been gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son3 had to have a CD with 5 different songs, all jazz but they had to each be 5 different jazz styles. The only one I remember was Up Jumped Spring.
      Glad you are getting your vaccination. I hope everyone will, but I am pretty sure that is not going to happen.

      Delete
  4. Great meals for the week and I love seeing all the photos to go with it - everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most difficult thing about the photos is remembering to take a picture before I have eaten all the evidence!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. He served as a mentor to one of my childhood friends.

      Delete
    2. That is what I like best about jazz musicians. They are all about passing it on and mentoring younger musicians

      Delete
  6. It looks and sounds GOOD. Well done you. I am super impressed at your date nights too. Himself really, really doesn't like eating out (or bringing it home either). Big sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub prefers to go out to a restaurant and enjoy the full experience, but until vaccinations are more widespread I will not go. He would join in with you and the big sigh!

      Delete
  7. I am glad that you are not going out to eat in restaurants just yet, Anne. I enjoyed seeing pictures of your meals and hope you will continue to remember to take them! :D I am still not making proper meal plans, but, there will be something chicken this week (just took out a package of 8 chicken thighs) and leftovers! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as we all know my meal plan is subject to change at the drop of a hat!

      Delete
  8. You're wise to avoid restaurants even after having the vaccine. Nothing is perfect.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just not comfortable going to them yet. I know at some point and time I have to take the leap, but not yet!

      Delete
    2. No reason to rush. Not enough people have had the vaccine.

      Delete
  9. What kind of dehydrator do you have? I love dehydrating mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know the name of it. I have already cleaned it and put it back in the cabinet in the butlers pantry and am too lazy to go look. It was a fairly inexpensive round one, not the one that is supposed to be great.

      Delete
  10. No meal plan here, but we manage to eat all the same. Some days are better than others, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll tell you, even though what you planned sounds great, what you had sounds great too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter and her family will visit next week. We will have bacon, toast, eggs each morning. Meals will consist of sandwiches of deli roast beef or deli ham, horse radish and pickles. Evening meals will be salmon or shrimp and/or pizza, etc. Last time we had pot roast so not again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are looking forward to seeing your daughter and her family! Food always tastes better when it is shared!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.