Translate

Friday, July 30, 2021

30 Weeks of Joys

 The 30th week of the year is now in the books. I have a hard time believing that much time has passed. It seems just a brief moment when we were all celebrating the end of a rotten year with hope that 2021 would be a turning point.
Here, this week began with rain and more rain, then a little extra rain just for good measure, but then the sunshine returned!


Friday: I keep telling myself all the rain is good for the garden, except for the tomatoes and they have had enough! So I am thankful for the rain and the bonus is the late night frog symphony I get after rains. Wet weather really does seems to have an impact on the amphibians who call my backyard home. 
Later that night we watched the delayed broadcast of the Opening of the Olympics. I always like watching the participants parade in.

Saturday: TheHub and I had our usual Saturday run to the produce stand, then we just ran a couple of quick errands. One of the biggest joys was having TheHub drop me off a few times so I could run in a pick stuff up. I hate shopping and I hate wearing a mask, especially when it is in the 90's and as humid as it can be, but he was driving and could let me out at the door while he stayed in the car with the a/c going so we would not have to return to a car that we could bake a cake in. (This was only for stops where we needed just one item__like a bag of lime to put in the hole on top of the squirrel who died on our front lawn. We have a critter burial ground, mostly for birds and frogs, but we do find the occasional squirrel or chipmunk)
Later we had a call to show the house and the young couple had one of the cutest little boys (4 years old) I have even seen. He was one of those kids who has never met a stranger, and stayed right by my side asking questions and showing me his tricks while his parents looked through the house

Sunday: We had more house showings, which was a joy, not as joyful as a sale would be, but a joy nonetheless.  I did not see our church service as it was streaming because I had to meet the folks wanting to see the place, but I did get to watch it later. There is a definite joy for technology that is available now.

Monday: I should be overjoyed with the green bean harvest this year, and I know I will be during the winter, but right now it is overwhelming. We are picking an average of a pound and a half each day and my neighbors hate to see me nearing their house with a bag filled with them.

Tuesday: We had a slight issue with the counter being about 1/4 inch longer than the previous counter, so the refrigerator (which was a tight squeeze anyway) would not fit into the space built for it. Fortunately my cousin (the stone guy) came and managed to fix the problem. 
In the late afternoon I got a call from Son1 and we talked about the rise in Covid. We had a whole family trip to the beach planned for late August and they were concerned because Florida is a Covid hotbed right now and Pip is too young for the vaccination.  We left the conversation with the possibility they would just fly here, stay at the house the whole time, and we could have a swim fest combined with festivities around the pool each night.

Wednesday: This day started out really nicely. TheHub left early to go to Boca Raton and the weather was great. This was going to be a one day trip and I hate him flying in storms. The sun was shining and though it was hot and humid, I will take it over the torrential downpours we have been having. 
I got most of the stuff that I wanted to accomplish, had a nice time swimming laps, then managed to score a couple of Aldi's great finds of this week.
He returned home by 6 and then we got the call. Son1's family will not be coming. I have not seen them since November '19, and it breaks my heart even though I completely understand it. A special thanks to all of the folks who decided for whatever reason (and there are lots of reasons floating around out there) not to vaccinate! You made my day!
More frustration swimming was necessary

Thursday: I was bummed out the entire day and could not think of a thing to be joyous about, except perhaps finding 3 pears on the tree in the front yard that had never born fruit before. I think it got tired of me telling it I was going to cut it down and replace it with dogwoods. 
Also it was the second day in a row with not a drop of rain, so I was very thankful and overjoyed for a sunny day. It was much nicer than rain with a blue mood. Plus I did not have to get wet while I picked green beans!

Hope you have a nice week finding your joys wherever and whatever they might be!

23 comments:

  1. I wish I were your neighbor, so I could get a bag of green beans. A pound and a half per day is amazing! Such a bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling that a chance to see Pip was not going to work out from your previous post. Two years is a long time in the life of a child, but at least there is technology to make a connection with. It's not the same, but you it's all you have to work with at this point. I know a few people have good reasons not to get vaccinated, but I too am frustrated by the others who aren't doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that is what it was, and now I am not just frustrated but I am almost ballistic. And the sad thing is that it is not just restricted to one demographic that is refusing it.
      I am thankful for technology and as soon as we sell Mom's house I am seriously thinking of buying an rv to drive to Portland without having to have more than minimal contact with anyone else, just so I can see my granddaughter in person.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry about your vacation.
    Any way you could go see them instead? Maybe things will be better in August/September.
    Glad you are able to show the house, and I'm sure you will have an offer soon. Maybe it is meant for the family with the sweet little boy.
    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can go see them, but the worries about flying and contagion work both ways.
      Son3 and DIL3 had already scheduled their flights and will be here. We are still going to the beach, though I will be the one wearing a mask in the condo elevators and will be the one who will not get into it if people are unmasked. Can you tell I am pissed!

      Delete
    2. Glad you are going to the beach! I hope you have a wonderful time. It won't be the same, but it will still be fun.
      Don't blame you for wearing a mask either.

      Delete
  4. Oh, what a shame. I know you've been missing your granddaughter and her family and this is a big disappointment. Shame on those who are keeping you from them.

    Fingers crossed there is an offer on the house in the next little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the house sells quickly.
      I am heart broken I will not have Pip time. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry you won't see Pip. I know what you mean about thanking people who refuse the vaccine. They are causing this problem and they do not care about the rest of us. What you need to do with the green beans is leave them on the doorstep, ring the bell, and run.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep about the green beans, and as an entirely new terror, the okra is just starting to produce.
      I don't have a crystal ball and maybe the reemergence of Covid would have happened later anyway, but the summertime is not when they expected it. Imagine what it will be like when people have to start staying inside.

      Delete
  6. Maybe it is time to rent the RV and go there. Or, not. I would gladly receive green beans, too. I was in a grocery store in Cullman, and I was the only person wearing a mask. Can you believe that? Picking green beans after it has rained means the beans rain on you...lol. We watch the radar channel before we go out. Or, rush out to beat rain we see arriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a trade off. If I pick them in the rain I don't have to deal with the bugs, but I get soaked. If I pick them in the sun, the mosquitos that hide in the shade of the beans feast on me.

      Delete
    2. I would choose to get rained on or send someone else to pick beans.

      Delete
  7. I do not understand the anger at the unvaccinated. Over 800 people in Cape Code tested positive most with symptoms - 74% were vaccinated. Delta is spread by the vaccinated just as much as the unvaccinated.

    I have a teen daughter who will not be taking it - case in point in the 1970's there was a very common drug used for morning sickness - I think we all know what happened there. Not enough is known about the shot.

    I'm sorry Pip and Family won't be coming to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you are talking about Thalomide which was discontinued in 1961.
      You have every right to not get the shot, but I am assuming you are continuing to wear a mask every time you are in public. At the same time I have to right to my opinions about those who opt not to get it, and I am talking about some of my own relatives.
      Yes there is some breakthrough with the Delta variant, but if enough of the population had gotten the vaccine it might have delayed or even prevented this onslaught. And now we can expect more variants because that is the nature of viruses.

      Delete
    2. I saw the news where there were 800 cases, 7 hospitalizations and 0 deaths in Provincetown Mass. I wonder how many hospitalizations and deaths there will be among the unvaccinated in the rest of the country this summer?

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry your family vacation plans have fallen through due to the uptick in Covid cases, Anne. I like your plans to get an RV and drive to see your granddaughter! In the meantime, enjoy seeing her and speaking with her online. I wish I lived closer to you to benefit from your excess green beans! My green bean plants didn't do too well and we pulled them out, today. My okra hasn't produced a single flower, let alone any okra! But, I'm still hoping they'll produce something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have green beans coming out my ears and the okra has started to produce. IN a bit we should bg getting enough from it for enough to have a couple of times a week.

      Delete
  9. All of your moving around made me jealous. I see the hip doctor on Monday and hopefully they can fix my left hip. Already have new right hip. I also envy your fresh pears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only got 3 pears this year but it is three more than have ever grown before so I am happy about that

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.