Translate

Sunday, July 25, 2021

Low Carb Blueberry French Toast Casserole

 

Occasionally if I am being nice, I make breakfast for TheHub. He generally is up and gone before I wake and honestly it is no harder for him to pour cereal in a bowl than it would be for me to do it, so I sleep while he pours. (For the record most days he is gone a few minutes before 6) But sometimes, on the weekend I am somewhat accommodating, and every once in a while I try something new and different.
Saturday morning was one of those times. 

I  should be following a keto way of eating but watermelon and corn on the cob have foiled me again this weekend. My intentions were noble, so I thought I would make us a casserole breakfast dish that was very different from anything that is our norm.  Since it was going to be a two step process I began by making the blueberry bread the day before. See recipe here. I rarely follow directions or a recipe exactly, but keto baking is a little different and I had never tried a keto sweet bread loaf before so I did this time*.  I made it as suggested for the French toast casserole omitting the heavy cream and one egg. 

There is nothing even remotely original about this recipe and I am copying it as it was written. I did use just half the loaf of the bread and halved the ingredients because we just do not need a recipe that serves twelve.  This is the link to the actual recipe.

1 loaf keto blueberry bread, cut into 12 slices
2 cups heavy cream
6 eggs, beaten
4 ounces cream cheese cut into small bits
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Place the bread slices on a baking sheet and pop in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes, flip the slices over and pop them back in the oven for another 10 minutes. The object is to dry them out rather than toasting them. Once dried cut them into small cubes and spread evenly in a greased 9x13 inch pan.

Mix the cream, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon. Gently pour over the bread. Top with the bits of cream cheese then sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top of it.  Bake in a 350 degree over for 25-30 minuted until the mixture is set and slightly browned.







Serve with maple syrup (or blueberry syrup would be good too) I used Choc Zero Sugar Free Maple Syrup ( I know I keep mentioning them, but they have really nice monk fruit sweetened products, and I have no dog in the hunt. I just like their products and I never mention any product unless it is something I personally like and use)

    We liked this but there are a couple of things I would do differently and it is strictly our preference. I would use less cream (3/4 cup for the half recipe) and would eliminate the cream cheese entirely. Neither of us felt it added anything and might have even been a taste distraction. That being said, we both like bread pudding, and this was much more like bread pudding than the French toast casseroles I have eaten in the past. (That being said, I have only had them made with French bread with much less liquid to bread) 
    I have the other half of the blueberry loaf in the freezer and will make this again another day with the changes. It might work and it might not, but we will see.

    If you are not doing keto, you could use any sweet bread in place of the keto version. I would suggest adding a little sugar to the cream mixture though. It was fine for us, but might not be sweet enough if you were expecting something more dessert-ish.



    *I thought the bread recipe had entirely too much butter, but overall tasted really good. I will try using 6 tablespoons the next time I make it because after it finished baking the loaf was literally swimming in melted butter.



    24 comments:

    1. Well, that sounds delicious. I really hate when a recipe is swimming in butter!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Overall it was a very good dish. I just did not thing the cream cheese bits added anything to the taste.

        Delete
    2. Can't wait to try the Keto blueberry bread recipe for my husband! Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I would just go a little lighter on the butter. It was very tasty.

        Delete
    3. It sure looks good! Thanks for sharing how you made it and what changes you would make. I hope you are having a nice Sunday!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Any changes I will make are based on my food preferences, and might not be for someone else. It is so rare that I follow a recipe exactly that I am not surprised. I thought there was too much cream to begin with but was a good little sheep and just went along with the recipe. Live learn and trust your instincts!
        BTW I do have a strange encounter, but had forgotten until TheHUb reminded me when we were talking about your blog post questions.

        Delete
    4. I'm primarily a meat and green veggies person, but sweet cravings occasionally rear their heads. So glad to learn more about Keto-friendly alternatives, and I'm going to check out that syrup. Thanks for the tip!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Every thing I have ordered from them has been very good! The downside is that TheHub loves their products too. I am more inclined to have something once or maybe twice a week. He chows down on everything!

        Delete
    5. Not for me. Or himself. Which is a good thing because it would be a snowy day in hell before I would prepare that for breakfast. A dessert perhaps.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes it was very much like bread pudding and when I use the other half of the bread it will be for a salad night as dessert.

        Delete
    6. It sounds rather delicious! Bread pudding for breakfast! I made French toast for brunch, today. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am not a huge French toast fan, but this was pretty tasty. But I think the next time I actually make breakfast for TheHub it will just be a traditional one.

        Delete
    7. Usually I don’t eat sweet things for breakfast, but just looking at these photos makes me hungry for this French toast casserole.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I don't usually eat anything in the morning and if we had not had this as a late breakfast, I probably would not have eaten it at all. By mid-morning it was pretty good!

        Delete
    8. Sounds delicious to me!
      You crack me up with TheHub being able to pour his cereal. Sounds like me, although I usually fix breakfast on Saturday mornings. Maybe once or twice a year, I will fix a stuffed baked french toast with cream cheese and blueberries, so I think we would love your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I just figure I do not own the rights to cereal pouring so he is on his own!

        Delete
    9. That looks delicious! I love all things blueberry :) Wonder if I can add fresh/frozen blueberries to this recipe. Thank you for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Sounds delicious, but a little rich for my tastes. I'm sure your husband appreciated his special breakfast.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. He must have liked it because he ate 2 servings of it. Maybe it is just that I make breakfast so seldom that he really enjoyed it.

        Delete
    11. Oh that looks delicious - and I'm sure your husband was VERY appreciative! Who wouldn't be!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I try to be nice often enough that it is appreciated but seldom enough that it is not expected.

        Delete
    12. I never would have thought to use fruited bread to an existing French Bread casserole or bake. I can understand your thoughts that the cream cheese didn't add much-I've had that experience with other recipes. I have two separate containers of 2 cups blueberries in the freezer. I may give this a try this weekend but use regular sweet bread and throw some blueberries in with it. Daring!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Hey you might as well live dangerously!

      ReplyDelete

    Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.