Translate

Saturday, February 12, 2022

Joys for Week 6

And now the 6th week of 2020 is officially in the books, and the Covid rates are dropping rapidly. That in itself is a huge joy. I have still been very selective about where and when I go places (the grocery store and the drug store), but after this week I think I might venture out a little. (Still masked and carrying my ever handy bottle of hand sanitizer)
So once again I have my days filled with small joys, but they are things that make me happy nonetheless.



Saturday:
I woke much earlier than I would have liked to, but I was in bed much earlier than I usually go to sleep. After a dismal weather day Friday, I woke to a drop dead gorgeous cold day.  TheHub and I sat and had coffee together before he went into the office for a few hours. 
Normally I dislike him going in on Saturday, but this particular Saturday it was fortunate. Winn Dixie has a store near there, but there are none close to our house. He was able to stop on his way home and pick up six NY strip steaks at their weekend only sale. We split a steak when we grill so it turned out to be enough steak for 6 meals for 30 bucks. Now when the weather gets a little warmer all I have to do is remember to take one out of the freezer.
After he returned we ran a couple of errands, taking the scenic route instead of the most direct. The day was so beautiful we just wanted to wander around a little and enjoy it. It was made even more enjoyable by one silly luxury. 
Heated seats are the bomb! We had a very warm winter last year and I never used them. TheHub has them in his car so he was the one who turned them on. I guess you never miss what you didn't know you had, and I did not even realize they were part of the car. Every cold day when I am driving from now one will have a warm seat!

Sunday: We had a lazy day at home. TheHub had mentioned he wanted to go clothes shopping (I have to go with him because he has a little trouble with colors and can't tell the difference in shades of blue, green and gray) About mid day he decided he did not want to go, so we settled into an afternoon of Yellowstone. Later we split one of the meals we picked up for the ArtBlink fundraiser. 

Monday: I go to The Pig on Mondays because they offer one free item as their weekly special and a separate Monday only special. It requires an additional 10 dollar purchase and I use the butcher shop at The Pig almost exclusively, so it is easy to fulfill my 10 buck minimum there. (But I only go if the free items are something I want, need or can easily be donated to the food pantry). This Monday the free item was a family pack of Angel Soft toilet paper. Of course I went! 
As if the free tp was not joyous enough, when I was taking my groceries to the car, a young man came up to me and told me he would like to return the buggy. (That is a shopping cart for those of you who do not live in the south). 
The Pig has a few differently abled folks who work there, and he was one of them. When he approached  and he told me his name, I introduced myself and ask how his day was going. "Fabulous! This is my best day ever". After hearing that I was grinning from ear to ear. We chatted for a few more minutes in the parking lot and if you are ever at The Pig and a delightful man approaches you to help with your cart return, tell Kenny hello, and that Anne says hi too!

Tuesday: It was another gorgeous day!
I spoke on the phone with Son2 who has a wicked sense of humor and shared some wickedly funny things about his day with me. 
TheHub and I watched another episode of Yellowstone and the Auburn/Arkansas basketball game, with some Olympics thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday: I had a few errands to run and I could not have chosen a more beautiful day to run them. The sky was blue and cloudless with temps in the low 60's. I am pretty sure it was the definition of a perfect day! I also talked to 2 of my sons, which makes a great day even better.
After dinner The Hub and I watched and episode of Yellowstone (I am getting tired of it) and then watched the Alabama/Old Miss basketball game. I know it seems like I watch a lot of sports or nightly tv, which it true. I was the sole female in a house of 4 males. I had to learn to watch, understand and eventually enjoy sports or be left out of something they loved. Plus you can fold a ton of clothes while watching a game!
The icing on the cake for the day was hearing my friend who is battling covid, is doing better and could possibly be released from the hospital next week.

Thursday: I got all dressed up but had nowhere to go so I read a book. The day was gorgeous and I sat on the screened porch to read. It does not get a lot better than that! 
That night I stayed up late watching the Olympics live. I really don't like watching replays of the events.

Friday: It was another drop dead gorgeous day. Do I have a lot of yard work I could be doing? Yes. Did I do it? No! The porch and I have become friends so I started another book. I'm not sure I really like it but I am reading it anyway. The book is "A Carnival of Snackery: Diaries 2003-2020. I have read David Sedaris many time before, often guffawing while reading them. This one seems self indulgent without his usual humor. Oh well it is due for return in a couple of days so I have to finish it quickly.
TheHub and I decided to go to a small local restaurant. I understand I have to return to the land of the living at some time, so I figured Friday night was as good as any. I also knew this particular restaurant had spaced their tables fairly far apart, and it had a wedge salad that works well with a keto plan. We got there right at 6 and not only was every table taken, but they were all still waiting for their meals. I guess the universe was telling me no! Instead we came home, ate and watched Yellowstone. At least I looked nice!

So go out and find your joys, however large or small. They are always there if you just look for them.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne





24 comments:

  1. With our beautiful skies and warm temps, one does not have to look for happiness as it is just there! Seat warmers would be sheer joy on the cold winter days. It is so painful trying to warm seats, excruciatingly painful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the cold disappeared for a few days, so warm seats are not an issue for now. The days have been just glorious.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like heaven - taking the scenic route with a warm bum!!! And I'm so glad your friend with covid is getting better and may be able to come home soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled he is doing better. Right now they think he might be able to be released Monday. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. I feel like I'm invincible now that I had Covid- not really, but with masks and hand sanitizer I'm going about my days when I do venture beyond the park. I get very crabby internally (and it sneaks out in snark externally) about things in the world, not just Covid, but poverty, the fight in education, discrimination and those things are constant. We owe it to ourselves and humanity to look for the joys. I love your Pig parking lot story. Kindness, humility, smiles go a long way toward making the world better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeting Kenny was such a delight. I truly appreciate many of the stores around us who hire differently abled individuals.

      Delete
  4. Your joys always make me smile and this post is no exception. Your friend's improving health and meeting Kenny are particular highlights for me this week.
    And I have been rereading some of Anne George's murder mysteries from (I think) your patch of the world. They make me smile too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful for M's health improvement. I think he may still have a long way to go I am thankful he is stable.
      When I read George's books I always know where she is talking about, even if the names of places are thinly disguised

      Delete
  5. What a great encounter with Kenny! I love his sunny outlook! Hopefully, the Pig's hiring practices will catch on with other stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like such a joyous week! I am so relieved to see the Covid numbers going down again too. I had a car that had heated seats once - Really? In Florida? I don't think I ever used them once the entire time I owned the car lol. Enjoy the weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beyond thrilled the numbers are going down so I intend to go out and enjoy life a little just in case mutation number whatever rears its ugly head in a few weeks.

      Delete
  7. Your chat with Kenny sounds so delightful. And the news that your friend may be released from hospital is wonderful.

    Now I might have been very envious of your time in the screened, but having a day of sunshine to warm up the sun room so I could sit out there and read, definitely relieved some of that envy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been gorgeous here lately bu is supposed to be very cold tomorrow. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a lovely week of joys!
    So glad that your friend is doing better. Great deal on the steaks.
    I'm sure that you made Kenny's day better too. We have a differently abled young man bagging groceries at our local Kroger. He is always smiling but one time there was a woman behind me in line who was complaining how slow he was bagging which ticked me off, so I made a point to tell him what a great job he was doing. Sometimes I really don't like some people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are enjoying some warm days. We are, too! :)
    That encounter with Kenny sounds so wonderful! I love his response to your inquiry about his day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your closing statement “May all your weeds be wildflowers.”

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if I would want to stand under The Pig store sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually Piggly Wiggly, but everyone here calls it ThePig

      Delete
  12. You are lucky with weather. Everything here is covered with ice -- even the snow is covered with ice. No blue sky for us.

    best...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will change for you before too much longer, and then in the summer (incredibly long summer here) when it is blazing hot here, you will be having some drop dead gorgeous days

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.