Translate

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Vegetarian Taco "Meat" Alternative




 I recently saw a recipe for a vegan filling for tacos. I wish I had saved the site and I would share it here, but I didn't. It was a couple of weeks ago and I am sorry but I am just not willing to look through that much computer history to find it. I had remembered the main ingredients and how things were processed, but not the actual measurements or what the "real" ingredient list was, so this is my attempt to recreate what I remembered. To be honest with you, except for the nutritional yeast, this is what I use to season ground beef for tacos. The amounts are all estimates because I do not really measure seasonings, but I am pretty decent when it comes to eyeballing ingredient measurements.

1/2 head cauliflower, separated into small pieces 
1 cup raw walnuts 
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon powdered coriander
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
couple of dashes of hot sauce

Put the cauliflower pieces a food processor and grind until you have a fine (almost powdered) raw cauliflower mixture. Add the nuts, stopping to scrape the side of the container and keep processing until the mixture feels pasty.  Add all of the seasonings and blend through. 
Now this is where it gets a little sketchy. I set the oven to 350 because I use it a my default temp for almost everything. I should have set it  to 325. 
Cover the bottom of a jelly roll pan with parchment. Put the mixture in the center of the pan, cover with another sheet of parchment and press or roll it to cover the pan.  Cook it about 15 -20 minutes then turn it over. I should've had another pan ready with parchment and transferred it to a separate pan because the parchment in the bottom of the pan I was using was damp and I think a dry sheet would have helped. Don't worry about breakage since the entire mixture is going to be broken apart anyway. Cook it another 15 or so minutes until it is nicely browned and somewhat dry. Crumble into pieces. Turn off the oven and out the pan back in for a few minutes to dry it out a little more. You want it to be approximately the consistency of cooked beef.

Now construct your taco salad however you want or put it in taco shells or tortillas. I did mine as a salad with green onions, tomatoes, avocado slices, cheese and sour cream. (I did not have dairy free alternatives on hand and was not buying them for this ) But you do you.

For me this was an experiment, and one I will most likely not do again, only because I am not a vegetarian .The flavor profile was very similar to traditional taco meat, but I found the mouth feel different. There are some really good meat alternatives out now that mimic the "feel" of beef very well, but they are very pricey. If you wanted something on the cheaper side, this works fairly well. That being said, I had about 3 pounds of walnut pieces hanging out in the freezer. If you had to buy the nuts just to make this the price might be close to the same as purchasing a meat alternative. 
Dunno! The jury is still out with this one!

24 comments:

  1. Okay this is my eldest daughters take on cauliflower, which is now in everything. Cauliflower is made from farts. You take a plant and put it in the ground and fart in the hole and then it grows into a fart plant which tastes like farts. She is so disgusting and to think she has a Doctorate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard others with very similar thought on the vegetable

      Delete
  2. I love how you experiment and try new dishes, Anne. I need to learn to like cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like it, but it can change flavors in. a heartbeat based on the seasonings.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love cauliflower! This is an interesting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly edible and had the taco flavor. I really just did it to experiment with a vegan alternative.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm I'm not sure about that recipe either. I haven't jumped on the riced cauliflower bandwagon. I've tried making the buffalo cauliflower wings, and they weren't too bad. I could eat cauliflower crust pizza. But I like it best uncooked and in salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will eat the cauliflower rice, but only as "rice" to put stuff on top of. By itself it is just steamed cauliflower in tiny particles form.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I am a vegetarian but this doesn't tempt me - despite being v fond of cauliflower. I suspect it is because I see no need to create meat substitutes. There are some interesting flavour mixes in this concoction though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think vegetarians fall into two camps. Those who secretly miss meat and create substitutes and those who don't. I am good with whatever floats anyone's boat.

      Delete
  6. It looks delicious. It's always good to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve made this before and it is so good. I like doing plant based dishes like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked trying it and I might or might not make it again. I guess time will tell!
      I do like to have plant based meals and try to have one once a week.

      Delete
  8. All I can think to say is "Yuk". That really sounds horrible but to each his/her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was not horrible. It tasted fine and not at all like cauliflower, but not like walnuts either.

      Delete
  9. That looks pretty good actually, although I suspect you go with the flow with most recipes rather than follow them doggedly anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks interesting. Thanks for sharing how you made it. Seems like it would be tasty and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it is healthier than a traditional taco salad, but it was not as tasty!

      Delete
  11. Those sound like some good ingredients. You gave it a good try. Sounds like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food processor did most of the work, and I did give it a go. The jury is still pretty far out whether I will do this again or not.

      Delete
  12. I *am* vegetarian, and...while I like all the ingredients in this recipe, I'm not sure I would like them *together*, you know? I do love all things taco, however. My go-to meat substitute for taco recipes is http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2011/08/30/lentil-tacos/ I use these for tacos, burritos, taco salad, and faux-Chipotle bowls. I make mine in the Instant Pot (for ~17 minutes on high); they cook up just fine on the stovetop, but you really have to watch them and add more water as necessary. They're fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.