Translate

Friday, February 4, 2022

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Last week I tried something a little different for dinner. I knew I was going to start back with a keto diet, so much like an addict, I went on a carb bender. Though I can fairly easily ketoify this recipe, I wanted the meals for the week to be deliciously real, with full flavor and consistency.

Start one recipe of real cornbread. (This is my go to method or making cornbread, but I only wanted enough for us, so I halved the recipe. The amount below works with the the half recipe.) You can use your own recipe, or even a mix, but for all that is holy please do not use a recipe or mix that is essentially cornbread cake. (I am talking about you, Jiffy mix.) The base should taste more like a tamale mesa than a dessert.

Sorry there is no picture. There was one piece left and I was zapping it so the cheese would be bubbly , but I nuked it too long and it kind of exploded.

For the base
Cornbread mixed but uncooked
1 egg
1 small cans diced chilies, drained
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup corn (optional. I had some leftover in the refrigerator.)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup grated cheese

Mix the cornbread together but do not bake yet. Add the additional egg, chilies, sour cream, corn, and cumin. Stir until well blended then add the cheese and mix it well. 
Spread in a greased oven proof baking dish (for this amount an 8x8 pan) Bake at 375 for about twenty minutes, or until it is set and slightly golden at the edges.

For the middle:
2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
1 cup simple enchilada sauce or a 10 ounce can of bought enchilada sauce. I make mine, but you do you!

Mix the chicken and enchilada sauce and spread it over the cornbread crust. Return to the oven until it is hot and bubbly.

Topping:
1 1/2 cups grated cheese. I used just cheddar because that is what I had. Next time I will use half cheddar and half pepper jack, but you can use whatever you would like. 
Sprinkle it over the hot chicken and return to the oven until the cheese is nicely melted.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chopped cilantro. I had no cilantro so I did not use it. Oh well!

This is really tasty and a very easy dish to prepare. The leftovers are pretty dang good for lunch also!

20 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds good! did you use a Jiffy Corn muffin mix for the base? It sounds really tasty!! Sorry you didn't get a picture, but the reason sounds interesting anyway. LOL. Sounds like something I would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No absolutely not! I refuse to buy Jiffy mix. I am pretty sure I would have my southern card revoked if I did!

      Delete
  2. Not for me, but the other household resident would like it. I am glad that you had a treat.
    PS: Thank you so much for the card which finally arrived this week. It was very welcome and I continue to be awed at your beautiful handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that certainly sounds like a reasonable time for something I mailed the first week of December!
      My handwriting is the only thing girly about me.

      Delete
  3. Yum! I'll just have the corn bread, please! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have eaten many dinner of just hot cornbread straight out of the oven slathered in butter.

      Delete
  4. How funny, we both posted about chicken enchiladas! Except your casserole sounds lots better than my soup. I not tried making cornbread in an iron skillet, but plan to make up for that sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The casserole was very good.
      I am an iron skillet lover. I have some that were my grandmothers and some from Mom's house. I think I only have a couple that I actually bought.
      Cooking the cornbread in cast iron yields a crisp bottom that is so good

      Delete
  5. Oh, this calls to me. I'll add ingredients for when I shop again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious Anne! I make something similar but I actually use tamale masa mixture. Jiffy is not an option lol! Have a fantastic weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally about Jiffy. I think it is a cornbread blasphemy!

      Delete
  7. This sounds so good and I totally agree NO to Jiffy mix. That is not cornbread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious and right up our alley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.