Translate

Monday, February 21, 2022

Winner Winner, Something For Dinner

The thing about keto is you cook nearly everything from scratch to try to make foods as close to the taste of what you are used to eating as possible. Though most of it is pretty good, it is just not quite the same as whatever you ate prior to ketofying it. I guess it's true. Ain't nothing like the real thing! Like breads! Those keto breads are nowhere near the yeasty deliciousness of real bread!


This is what was planned for the week:
1. Grilled lamb chops, new potatoes (or cauliflower rice) asparagus,  rolls,  mixed greens
2. Greek chicken, saffron rice, carrots, tossed salad
3. Hamburger patty, green beans, saffron rice (or cauliflower rice), coleslaw
4. Vegetarian street taco salad
5. Tuscan Soup or Buffalo Chicken soup, coleslaw, rolls or keto cornbread
6. Out to eat
7. Salmon with lemon butter sauce, baked potato (or none) tossed salad, broccoli


And this is what we actually ate:
Monday: I tried very hard to make us a Valentine's Day meal that I knew TheHub loved. Occasionally I actually do try to do something nice!
Grilled lamb chops, new potatoes (or none) steamed asparagus, spring greens, keto cheesecake (fine but not really cheesecake)

Tuesday: This was my day to experiment. I love to cook and love to try new things, even if they are not something I am ultimately crazy about.
Vegetarian taco salad (so-so)

Wednesday: When I asked TheHub what he would like for the week he asked specifically for this meal. It is very easy to make and I was more than happy to oblige.
Hamburger patty, green beans, Saffron rice (or none), coleslaw

Thursday: TheHub had already told me he was having a meeting that was going to run late Thursday. When I know it in advance, I plan something that I can cook and let simmer until he gets home.
Buffalo chicken soup, toast

Friday:We had wanted to take Son2 and DIL2 out to eat for Valentine's the previous Saturday, but we just could not coordinate plans, so they met us Friday night instead. We went late and the crowd had virtually disappeared.
Out to eat at Seasons 52

Saturday: I went clothes shopping with TheHub. He has some difficulty with colors (and styles) so I am his eyes. Plus I can see where alterations are needed. On the way home we passed our favorite fast food place, which had been torn down and rebuilt only to find out it was open and serving. Since we had been out shopping we decided to just grab dinner there.
Take out Jack's chicken dinner

Sunday: We had an event to go to Sunday afternoon and decided we wanted to extend our fun a little longer. The Electric in Bluff Park is a great little sandwich shop/bar.
Pastrami Sandwiches (Not a bit keto, but delicious___oops)

This week I already know we will be eating out twice. 
One of the banks in town has invited TheHub and guest for dinner (I guess they leave it open ended so people can take their friend, spouse, mistress, business associate, pet monkey, whatever) TheHub asked if I wanted to go and I am not stupid enough to turn down a free meal at Bottega.
We are also meeting his brother, SIL, and his sister at a restaurant in Tuscaloosa for dinner Saturday night. I am unsure where it will be, but if I were gambling I would put my money on Evangeline's. It should be fun!

This is planned for this week but subject to change if I am just not feeling it:
1. Greek chicken, saffron rice, green beans
2. Grilled steak, baked potato (or cauliflower alternative) spring greens, asparagus
3. Lamb Kofta, rice pilaf (or caulirice pilaf) greek salad
4. Tuscan soup, salad, dinner rolls
5. Out to eat
6. Out to eat
7. Salad and sandwich

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!



23 comments:

  1. Have you posted the Buffalo chicken soup before? That sounds really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not post it mainly because we ate it without taking a photo of it. It was late and we were both hungry. I will send it to you via email.

      Delete
  2. Your meals all sound so good. I need to try some of these different dishes. We get stuck in such a rut and kind of rotate the same meals each week. You are inspiring me to do a little better planning! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to have different types of meals, until summer and then it is fresh veggies nearly every night.

      Delete
  3. I feel bad for you on the low carb. I lived it for way too many years, while dancing. The horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ok until you have a tables worth of Girl Scout cookies screaming at you every time you walk through the dining room.

      Delete
  4. I only have a plan for tonight--salmon croquettes. And, there will be leftovers for another dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy them. I can enjoy them when they are freshly made, but I don't think I could as leftovers.

      Delete
  5. Jack's makes the best chicken! Say, is there an authentic NY Deli in B'ham you might recommend? I'm craving a good Matzo Ball soup, but I'm not 'up' for doing my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only place I know that consistently has Matzo ball soup is Eli's Jerusalem Deli on 280

      Delete
  6. Everything sounds delicious and it sounds like it was a great week too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week was nice, but the week is shaping up to be seriously better!

      Delete
  7. Your weekly meal plans are always so nice! My meal plan got changed quite a bit, but, we didn't mind that at all! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plans are merely a suggestion. I have to remember to take things out of the freezer for any plan I make to succeed.

      Delete
  8. My husband is not confident in his clothes selections, so he likes me to shop with him, also. Unless it is for hiking or exercise-he handles those okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub is fine with casual clothes, but for work he needs a little help.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a good menu. Have you tried the blueberry lemonade from Jacks? It is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried it, and honestly had never noticed it before. I will have to look for it!

      Delete
  10. My dinner is opposite of keto but, I did work very hard today. Tomorrow, I promise to be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Sunday menu was about as far from keto as I could be, and I didn't even work hard!

      Delete
  11. Your meal plans always sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost never turn down a free meal anywhere, even if it's not fabulous food, it's a night out and I don't have to cook or clean :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. is keto about losing weight? we eat more healthily these days but boy do i miss fats and salts and oils and and ... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.