Translate

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Lasagna In A Bowl

 TheHub loves Italian foods and since he was on his own for meals last week I thought I might make something specifically for his tastes. At the same time it had to be something I could ketofy for me with little trouble. Lasagna in a bowl was the perfect compromise.

This is cooked in one of those old corning ware 1 1/2 inch deep small baking pans. It worked but I did have to spoon it out onto the plate. Kinda messy (see pic below) An oven proof bowl would have been much better!


Bottom Layer
Noodles or zoodles*
Cook the noodles and/or the zoodles then place in a ovenproof bowl/bowl

Next layer
1 cup  marinara sauce (I used Rao's because it is a low carb sauce and I had it in the pantry )
1 pound (total)  ground chuck and Italian sausage mixed (or use either one, your choice)
1 small onion diced
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium zucchini, chopped in smallish bits
1 carton sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning ( I did use more but we like highly seasoned food)
dash dried red peppers
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef and Italian sausage (I take the casing off of the sausage and cook it crumbled but you do it however you like). Add the onion to the mix, then spoon off any grease before adding the garlic just to wilt it. Toss in the zucchini, stirring all the while then add the mushrooms. Cook for a couple of minutes then stir in the marinara sauce. Add your additional seasoning, stir well and let it simmer on low while you make the cheese center.
Split the mixture between 2 bowls and spoon on top of the noodles or zoodles

Cheesy layer
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan
1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Using a spoon just stir and mix everything well
Divide the mix and spread it over the meat mixture in the bowls .

Topping
1/3 cup marinara sauce
mozzarella cheese, grated. (I used very little because the dish already had more than enough cheese for me)
Spoon the sauce gently over the ricotta mix. 

Pop the bowls** in a 350 degree oven until it is hot and bubbling, then add the grated mozzarella. Run it under the broiler until it is as melted as you would like it to be remove and eat.  It was really tasty and satisfied TheHubs love for Italian while allowing a keto compliant dish for me.

Unfortunately thisdid not come out of the pan very neatly, and the cooked zoodles left a lot of liquid in the bottom of the dish. Still it was very good!

* I used fusilli for TheHub, and cooked about a cup of noodles. You know how much pasta you want so cook it according to your wants. 
I zapped the zoodles in the microwave, but did not cook them enough to get all the liquid out. (My mistake)
Then, this morning I was looking at a keto Facebook group I belong to and someone posted about having Alfredo sauce over an egg wrap that had been sliced thin like fettuccine noodles and was raving about the texture. I think I will try that next time if I can find the egg wraps at Aldi.

** It turns out even with all the kitchen stuff and dishes I own, I have no small oven proof bowls.  I did have some small corning ware casserole dishes, so everything was baked in those. I swore I was going to buy no more dishes, but now . . .



26 comments:

  1. Yum. You know I always added yellow squash and zucchini to my spag sauce as we always had so many in the garden and my kids think that is the way it should be made. But it is low carb and adds flavor and ummph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always add something. What that thing is just depends on what needs to be used.

      Delete
  2. It all looks and sounds delicious! I could use some small oven proof bowls too now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have some for French onion soup and I never really used them so they went to Goodwill. Dumb me!

      Delete
  3. Sounds yummy. Thank you for sharing the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, and easy for me to ketofy mine while TheHub got the really good stuff.

      Delete
  4. This reminds me a little of something I made with zucchini, last summer (I didn't use cheese, though because my daughter doesn't like cheese). I, too, found that the zucchini left a lot of liquid at the bottom of the dish. Maybe, next time, I will try microwaving the zucchini first and draining it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's kind of like my crock pot pasta. I like the sound of making small amounts and not drowning in leftover's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying very hard to cook just for 2. It is hard for me!

      Delete
  6. It sounds excellent. Let us know how the egg wrap experiment goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will try the egg wrap "noodles" with Alfredo. Cheese sauce makes most things good.

      Delete
  7. I love Italian dishes, too. That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! It's a very adaptable recipe. Like you, I have no oven proof dishes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to change that very soon! Well as soon as I actually go shopping

      Delete
  9. I like lasagna is almost any form and this one sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so easy to do without making a huge pan of it

      Delete
  10. Looks delicious - your husband is a lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks really good!!!
    I have been craving some lasagna and the cheesier the better for me.
    I have a spiralizer but haven't made zoodles since last summer. You microwaved the zoodles then layered everything with one layer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I microwaved the zoodles, then just had one layer of everything.

      Delete
  12. I made lasagna for my kid yesterday but definitely not keto version. I use ground beef, Ragu pasta sauce usually, noodles and a combo of parm cheese, cottage cheese ( I could not find ricotta) shredded mozzarella and shredded cheddar. Not exactly the real thing but close. . It was bizarre that Walmart was out of most types of noodles. I keep seeing the most random shortages, like chicken thighs. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bought the fusilli I noticed most of the noodles other than the speciality gluten free types, regular spaghetti, elbow macaroni, and egg noodles were wiped out. Supply issues or are people hoarding pasta?

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.