Translate

Sunday, July 16, 2023

Joys

We are now in the overly warm, sticky days of summer. It means there is a very good chance each evening for a pop up thunderstorm, and this week I think it happened every night. For some of you immediately after a shower is a pleasant cool the day or the night is the result.  Here it is just a way for allowing steam to rise. If you happen to be in the car after one of these showers you literally see what looks like smoke coming off the pavement and rooftops. 
When the weather is like this I try to have only two plans: swim or stay inside. Consequently there is not a lot going on with my days right now.


Sunday: We were tired and did very little other than read and take a quick nap. I have to be crazy tired to nap during the day.

Monday: This was just a regular day, but I did get started cleaning out the kitchen cabinets and drawers. Does any house really need 15 Tervis tumblers and/or Tervis type travel cups. Hello Exchange Club. I left 4 of them in the cabinet and am giving the rest away.
I had a nice conversation with my friend M, and of course I talked with My Beloved Sister, but I talk to her nearly every day.

Tuesday: It was another regular day but I was fortunate to have a long conversation with My Beloved Sister while I cleaned up a huge mess I accidentally made.
TheHub and I were feeling old and creaky and decided to get in the hot tub.The night was gorgeous, with the Edison lights glowing on the upper patio.We were ready to really relax while the jets did their magic on our joints. Hot was the operative word, so we stayed in it briefly. 
I reset the water temp much lower and hopefully the next time we get in, it will be refreshing instead of feeling like we were inside a  boiling lobster pot. 
Once we got out we both went to the screened porch, supposedly to drip dry. But the crickets and katydids were singing, the overhead fan was blowing and we both fell asleep in our wet suits. It was nice while it lasted, but we couldn't just wake and head straight to bed. We still needed to rinse the chlorine off in the shower. We probably should have just stayed asleep on the porch.

Wednesday: Prime day to the rescue! Our refrigerator is very old but everything works except for the ice maker. The last time I priced having a new one installed it was going to be over 200 bucks. It might be worth it to some of you but there is no way I am going to put that kind of money into a fridge that is this old. We have just been using ice cube trays and honestly it works perfectly fine for us until we have  guests, then we run out of ice pretty quickly.
TheHub mentioned having an ice maker installed in the butler's pantry, but it would require tearing out the existing cabinets and shelves. Instead I suggested a much simpler and less expensive solution. I saw a portable ice maker on one of the lightning deals, ordered it and it was delivered today. I have to let it sit for a bit before I can plug it in to clean it before using it, but by sometime  over the weekend it should be making ice. Whoo hoo!
Did I mention I also talked with Sluggy, who always makes me laugh. It is nice to have met  fellow bloggers IRL and formed friendships 
It is on me to meet some of you who live little closer than Louisiana and Idaho, face to face at some time too.

Thursday: I was able to go to my happy place. Son2 and DIL2 are both working at Independence Place and are adding Life Skills to their program. I volunteered to help with the cooking lessons for them. Some of the participants do have some rudimentary cooking ability, but most of them do not. As both they age and their parents/guardians age, they need some skills for the future. 
I decided we would start slow and begin with something very simple where they could learn to use some of the tools I bought specifically for them, to use over time as we progress to more difficult recipes.
The first thing we made was pimento cheese. 
I bought a manual rotary shredder (Ourokhome  Rotary Grater ) and they could easily grate the cheese (No busted knuckles!).  I also bought a manual beater (OXO Good Grip Beater). It was ergonomically very easy for all of them to use. 
They not only enjoyed the process of making it, but they love eating it after it was finished. I asked them for suggestions about what they would like to make next time, and got many (too many in fact) . Now I have a list for at least the next two months.
I also had a conversation with Sluggy which is always wonderful.
Then later that evening TheHub and I met up with some of our friends for dinner at Mikey's. It is always a good place to eat and the company just could not be beat.

Friday: The day was hot, humid, hotter, more humid, just one of those days when you stay inside as much as humanly possible. My truest joy for the day was working air conditioning. And would someone please tell Kim and her Sissy that I am not responsible for the Hershey nuggets in Kim's house right now!

Saturday: We woke and did our usual Saturday morning running around ending with a stop at Sneaky Pete's for a takeout slaw dog. I am not a big hot dog fan, but their slaw dogs are something special.
Other than that the day was just a hot, hot, humid, hot, humid, hot day.

Look for your joys, however small. They are always out there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

p.s. If I am not responding to your blogs it is mainly because they are restricted to Google users. Though I am one, last weekend TheHub spent about 6 hours working on an internet issue, then mucked with my computer reconnecting it. I am not sure what he did but it messed all of my connections causing me to totally reset my computer. The update is now blocking me from what used to be a simple comment. I am still reading everyone and keep trying to tweak my settings, but am having no luck so far.



24 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week for you. It is hot and humid here too. But unlike the South we do get a bit of a cool down with most rains which is always welcome. It sounds like you had a good week. How fun to be doing the cooking lessons. Pimento cheese was an excellent first choice. Be sure and share what all you have them make. Enjoy your Sunday and stay cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 16, 2023 at 8:08 AM

      I will share what they make. It was a lot of fun watching them. What was especially cute was watching those who could, copy the recipe to make at home.

      Delete
  2. We've had a "heat" wave..daytime temps. in the mid 70's. Shhh, don't tell anybody where I live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 16, 2023 at 12:17 PM

      I have been in the PNW in the summertime and understand. I'm not telling anyone though!

      Delete
  3. I need to look at that grater. I don't need it, but Tommy could grate things without skinning his knuckles. I am afraid we will be having meat in the pimiento and cheese sandwiches when he grates. Heat sounds so good for my muscles and joints. As they say, it is the humidity not the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just bought a new fridge as my old one is about 20 years old and doesn't work that good any more and not energy efficient at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 16, 2023 at 8:13 PM

      Mine is about 20 years old also and I can’t see putting more money in it

      Delete
  5. Hopefully you’ll figure out the Google snafu. Sounds hot there just like here. I know what you mean when you say after the rain the steam comes up off the road. That is what it does here too. It’s rare for rain to cool off the weather here. Like where you live it usually just makes it more muggy. Fall8ng asleep on the porch sounds so nice. I’m glad you got to talk to Sluggy and left chocolates for Kim. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 16, 2023 at 10:10 PM

      I did not leave chocolates for Kim but I am being blamed for her buying them. I might have been the inspiration but not the guilty party.

      Delete
  6. The appliance repairman is scheduled this week, hopefully to get our ice maker working again. Yep, we figure it will be north of $200, but it's barely 5 years old. Ugh, planned obsolescence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 16, 2023 at 10:08 PM

      That is why I am hanging on to this refrigerator even without a working ice maker. I think it still works better than new models

      Delete
  7. Hot and humid? Bleah. That is a foretaste of hell for me. I am glad that the joys keep coming. That google thing does my head in. Fortunately I can usually connect if I use a different browser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 16, 2023 at 10:07 PM

      I have tried every way possible and nothing is working. I am not happy because I am lazy and do not like having to type in my name at the beginning of every comment. I am glad I can blame TheHub.

      Delete
  8. When we got a new fridge, we didn't even have the ice maker hooked up. There is a high rate of problems with them, and we just don't use that much ice. Ice cube trays work fine for us. If I anticipate company, I start freezing ice ahead of time to have enough. I get you with the hot and humid. We are in the throes of it now. Air conditioning is definitely my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 16, 2023 at 10:05 PM

      I freeze ice ahead of time but when we have visitors (family) they are here for a week + and we just can't keep up with the demand for ice.

      Delete
  9. It heating up here, too! At long last! We've actually had a bit of humidity, which is unusual for us, so it felt sticky and I needed to put the ceiling fan on. The little window a/c unit is still in the garage, though. I might put it up in the window sometime around mid August, or whenever it gets up to the triple digits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 16, 2023 at 10:03 PM

      Right now when I am outside it feels like I am breathing hot liquid air. We really need gills this summer.

      Delete
  10. We're finally having the warm part of summer, after a long stretch of really moderate temps. I'm missing the moderate temps again! I did sit outside by the pool and read my book, which is always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 16, 2023 at 10:02 PM

      It is too hot to sit by the pool, so if I am out there I have to be in it.

      Delete
  11. Oh, now I want some Hershey nuggets :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How great is it that you are helping these young people to learn to cook and give them a little independence. I'm sure they had as much fun as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. anne in the kitchenJuly 17, 2023 at 6:57 AM

    I love being around them. Most of the participants have siblings who will be responsible for them after their parents are no longer around, but that does not necessarily mean they will be living with them. The aim is to give them the skills to possibly navigate living in a group setting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've had air quality issues and persistent haze from Canadian wild fires. The bouts of rain on Friday helped, but weekend was hazy again. I'm not doing much but work, caring for dogs, and a still purging. That's a joy and woe.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.