Translate

Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Pesto Chicken Salad

During the hottest part of the summer we tend to eat much lighter meals. If I don't have to cook it is even better. This is all about using some pre-cooked chicken. Other than warming the rolls in the air fryer for a couple of minutes this was a completely "cook free" dinner.



 All of these measurements are "about". I don't generally measure when I cook, but I am a pretty decent "eyeballer"


3 cups diced cooked chicken
1/2 red pepper, roasted and diced
1/2 small red onion,  minced
1 small tomato, seeded and diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup pesto (next time I will use a little more 2/3 cup maybe)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I used about a half when I made mine and it was too much)

Mix the chicken, red pepper, onion and tomato in a medium size bowl. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
Put the mayo, pesto, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl, stir well then pour over the chicken mixture. Toss until thoroughly mixed together. Serve on a bed of greens. I would have preferred to serve it over spring greens, but TheHub prefers iceberg. There are some battles that are worth it. Chicken salad is not one of them. Chicken salad, a few black olives and a dinner roll was the complete meal. It was a perfect light summertime dinner.

I garnished with a few bits of diced tomatoes because when I went to pick basil from the yard, it was gone. I am guessing my resident groundhog found it. Basil would be a better garnish I think. Such is life! 

Library of Congress photo
For size reference the groundhog is holding a peach
They are cute little destructive buzzards



25 comments:

  1. I've grown it and no groundhog got mine but I'd gladly share it with you if I had grown it this year. I am NOT a fan of pesto but fresh in sauce, etc. I think basil is divine and evidently good for your sinus issues. ;-) You need to find a veggie Mr. Groundhog won't eat(good luck with that!)lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 9:31 PM

      I found last year he was not fond of bell peppers. So far this year he is leaving them along. He must have healthy sinuses now because the plant was munched to the ground.

      Delete
  2. I took am lukewarm on pesto like Sluggy, but that sounds terrific to me. I'm cutting corners kitchen wise while I'm both treading water at work and decided to conquer my house at the same time. I don't know how long I have my kids around to help, but I'll feed them while here but don't want to be a kitchen slave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 9:33 PM

      I get it about not being a kitchen slave!

      Delete
  3. That sounds so good and refreshing, perfect for these hot summer days. 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 9:39 PM

      It really was a good summer meal. I will do it again soon.

      Delete
  4. The title of the post made me drool. I love pesto, chicken, and lettuce, so why not make this? I have seven huge bscb boiling in a pot for putting on the grill. Maybe I will take one and make this recipe. There are many spices and herbs in the pot, so the chicken will be delicious for any recipe. I can eat pesto with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 9:40 PM

      It was good and I even used jarred pesto. Groundhog related!

      Delete
    2. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 9:41 PM

      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. I have never made pesto. I should!

      Delete
  5. that sounds like a perfect summer meal and basil would look pretty but groundhogs must eat :)
    We sometimes get a few pre-cooked chickens for cheap when the supermarket cooks too many. It would be a great way to use them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 9:36 PM

      The groundhog needs to be relocated, but the critter catcher is about 400 bucks and I can buy a lot of herbs and veggies for that price. He is definitely the winner.

      Delete
  6. What a mouthwatering and delicious summer meal! I love all sorts of pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pesto and its variations are huge winners here. I will even admit to having cheese and pesto sandwiches.l

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rabbits and deer are eating most of the things in our yard. This sounds like a winner recipe. However, it would be just for me as my husband doesn't like peppers or mayo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know deer can be really destructive. We see remnants of them outside the fence line occasionally but have never seen one in the back yard.

      Delete
  9. Sounds delicious! One of these days I'll give it a try if I remember to buy pesto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 14, 2023 at 7:33 AM

      It really was tasty, plus I used a lingering jar of pesto.

      Delete
  10. I love basil pesto and this sounds delicious. I also light lighter, easier meals in the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 14, 2023 at 7:36 AM

      We both like lighter fare for dinners during the summer. It really helps me that THeHub eats out every day at lunch, often business related, and eats a heavier meal then.

      Delete
  11. It looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 14, 2023 at 7:38 AM

      Anytime. It was very good.

      Delete
  12. I must pass this recipe on to my daughter - she likes pesto. But, I just might make some chicken salad! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 14, 2023 at 7:39 AM

      I am usually a plain chicken salad person but once in a while I try and step out of the box.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.