Translate

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

New Toys

 I had originally titled this Adult Toys, but then decided that could be terribly misconstrued.  Instead I am just going to say that what you like playing with as a kid is completely different from what sets you over the moon as an adult.


I purchased a few things in the last week or two that I never knew I needed (Thanks Amazon Prime Day) Now I am not sure why it took me so long to get them.

I have always been an ardent gas cooktop type of gal. I love the instant heat and the ability to do some really quick stovetop meals I would even guess that about 75%  of our meals are cooked that way.

I bought an induction cooktop to take to Independence Place when we do some of the cooking classes. I do have a portable butane stove I could use, but thought the induction cooktop with no open flame would be much safer.
Because I had never done induction cooking before, I decided I would set it on the countertop and give it a whirl before I used it with them. It is nicer to know how something works before teaching others how to use it. 

What can I say__I am hooked. I had no idea how fast and how cool (temperature-wise) cooking could be. Let's just say it has not been off the counter, and I have used it every single day.  All of my cast iron works with it, but I did have to buy a very inexpensive set of stainless steel. My existing pots and pans were stainless, with aluminum clad bottoms which will not work on the induction top. Evidently the rule is if a magnet sticks to the pan bottom it will work with induction cooking. I didn't know that.

Another gadget for kitchen clean up is a dish detergent dispenser. When we were in Palm Springs the house we were staying in had one and until then not only did I not know they existed.  I also did not know how badly I needed one. 
I am able to keep it by the sink so I have detergent available with just one tap. I also now have a designated place for my dish sponge to sit. (And yes I wash my sponge in the dishwasher every time I run it, but I am not afraid of living a little dangerously using a sponge for things I hand wash)
I liked it so much I bought an additional one and gave it to My Beloved Sister. Until she used it she did not know how badly she had needed it either.

Then there was a third item I bought to help me organize underneath the kitchen sink. It was not something I really needed but it surely has help me access the most often used cleaning supplies.
I bought mine through Amazon for much less than it is listed here and I will say there was no way I would pay this much for it. I bought it for less than half this price. Under sink storage shelves  were not a glamorous purchase, but it really did make a difference when I cleaned out beneath the sink last night.

If you have found something new to you that rocks your everyday life, tell me about it. Who knows what else is out there that I never realized I needed.

30 comments:

  1. I've always had a gas cook top but when we moved to our house it only had electric. We bought a stove with the induction cook top and I really love it. It does cook just as well and it is SO easy to clean. I love the soap dispenser. Thanks for sharing all of your latest finds. I love hearing reviews on things. Enjoy your Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on finding some new kitchen toys. Enjoy! I like your idea of washing the sponge in the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tossing the sponge in the dishwasher is about the easiest way to clean it.

      Delete
  3. That under-sink shelf is pretty cool, but I'll stick with the two Rubbermaid caddies presently holding all our junk. 'Just watched that video and now I'm wanting one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had everything crammed into the cabinet and needed some help organizing. The 2 tiered shelf is perfect for me.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. We never get too old for them. They just change shape

      Delete
  5. You can't beat things that both solve issues and make us smile to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sissy here and I love anything that helps me organize, but you have counter space I have a one butt kitchen so no appliances for me. I live vicariously through you purcheses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sissy, I can hear you screaming that I do not need one more item in my house. Am I forgiven because I do have 5 filled boxes in the dining room waiting for the Exchange Club pickup?

      Delete
  7. I like that under-sink storage unit! Currently, I use two dollar store caddies to hold most of the stuff and they work, but, maybe, the next time my daughter asks me what I would like for my birthday, Christmas, etc., I might suggest one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you had used Adult Toys as your heading, I'm sure you would have had a deluge of views, :p
    Those sink storage shelves are quite interesting. Like another of your readers, all my stuff is in a small tub, that I drag in and out.
    My favorite little gadget for the sink is a over the door storage that holds my dish detergent, hand soap, and hand lotion on the inside of the door. It is so handy and keeps the stuff off the kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The over the door holder is a great idea. I need to look into that

      Delete
  9. I love the induction burner. However, as my stage in life and lack of storage space for something that large, I will just enjoy the demo. Besides, Tommy makes a skillet or pot skitter off the burner quite often. The soap dispenser is interesting. Storage is necessary here in every room. I have two bins under the kitchen sink. I would need four of those storage units under the sink. However, one on the counter would be the thing I would need. It is very versatile.

    Once, I was talking to GED students before class and mentioned I had a party and one couple brought a child of 3. She had brought a big bag of cheese puffs with her and that was what the couple brought to the gathering for their contribution. I gave her a large cloth napkin, saying she might need that. The newly-painted walls and doors, new upholstery, carpets, all covered in cheese-colored sticky was left for me. As I finished telling this, I said children were not invited. This was an adult party. Well, what an uproar as they all yelled, "You have adult parties?" There is no telling what they told about me!

    Actually, that title could have gotten you banned, unjustly, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just glad I realized the adult toy title was not really what I needed to have before I published.

      Delete
  10. You can easily sanitize a sponge by rinsing out all liquid and squeeze well, then wrap in a paper towel and microwave 1 minute and then with any moisture in microwave wipe the microwave with the damp paper towel and wipe any residue, 2 for 1 quick clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, I put my sponges in the dishwasher too - why not, it's a good way to keep them clean! And as for the "adult toys", my colleague visited Tahiti and brought us all back long thin tubes of vanilla pods. I thanked her for mine and then laughed when I asked her what she thought they looked like going through x-ray at the airport!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bought vanilla beans in the glass tubes before. Not a problem imagining what you are talking about!

      Delete
  12. When we redid our kitchen, we put in an induction stove and are happy with it - especially since we don't have gas to our house. And we put in a pull-out drawer under the sink that helps, But I've never had pullout drawers, so I don't remember I can do that most of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am stoked to have the pullout. Usually my lesser used products (think silver cleaner, etc) lived in a dark hole and I would forget about them then buy more. This should help

      Delete
  13. Thank you! I have wanted something for under the sink forever! It's one of those things I just need to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have needed this for years and years. I just did not know how badly I needed it.

      Delete
  14. I LOVE a gas cooktop. My ranges in this and the past 2 homes I have owned have been dual fuel, my Panhandle was a gas cooktop with double wall oven. (Which, even as much as I bake, I never needed.) That said, when we built this place, I seriously considered an induction range. I have enamel coated cast iron as well as stainless cookware. The reason I picked the range we have, though, (GE Profile, dual fuel with built in air fryer) is because it was available, as in, in the store. At the time, that drove most of my choices.
    My stainless steel dish drainer is probably the thing which "rocks" my life. I saw it at Costco about 10 years back--my Rubbermaid plastic one was getting tired. I handwash all my pots, pans, and good knives. In fact, I would rather hand wash dishes than unload the dishwasher. So, this item is used regularly. And, yes, I use a sponge to wash dishes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a dual fuel stove right now and I do love it. I am not a big fan of a gas oven (Have had them in the past) I am hoping by the time I need a new stove (when we move to a smaller house) there will be something with both gas and induction cooktops. Who knows maybe they even have some now, I am just not in the market to buy and have no idea what is out there.
      I hand wash all of my pots and pans also. My drainer is just about toast and I will be looking for a stainless one to replace it.

      Delete
  15. Ooh, I love that sponge/soap combo. I too wash my sponge between uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until I actually used one I had no idea how badly I needed it.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.