Translate

Monday, July 10, 2023

The "It's hot and I don't wanna cook" Edition

I did not think I would actually stay true to the meal plan, but I was surprised I did not veer off too badly. I think I only went totally rogue for one meal and that is really unusual for me.

What was planned:
1.Butter peas, okra, corn pudding, some sort of salad or coleslaw (or possibly just sliced tomatoes.)
2. July 4th dinner, ribs, coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans
3. Sandwiches TBD
4. Out to eat 
5. Barbacola chicken, corn on the cob, tomato cucumber onion salad
6. Pesto chicken salad on mixed greens
7. Pasta with formaggio sauce, tossed salad 



And this is what we actually ate:
Monday: Slight change of plans but it was still a veggie night.
Corn pudding, cucumber tomato onion salad, watermelon


Tuesday: Hooray for finding take out ribs for the 4th. Easy cooking day!
BBQ ribs, coleslaw, corn on the cob, baked beans, banana pudding

Wednesday: The chicken was cooked when I did dome prep on Monday. 
Barbecola chicken, okra, broccoli salad

Thursday: Out to eat, after our meeting.
Grilled grouper on rice pilaf, tossed salad, sautéed mushrooms and cauliflower in a garlic sauce.

Friday: I wanted a fast and easy meal. This did the trick thanks to the jarred formaggio sauce.
Pasta with formaggio sauce, mixed green salad with tomatoes, garlic bread

Saturday: To grill or not to grill was the question. The rain provided the answer.
Burgers with all the fixings, baked beans, leftover broccoli salad

Sunday: I forgot to thaw anything. No one to blame but myself.
Corned beef* and cabbage, mashed potatoes

And this is what we might eat this week:
1. Leftover pasta, salad of some sort
2. Meatloaf, squash, sliced tomatoes, cornbread?
3. Smoked trout toast, broccoli, stewed apples
4. Out to eat
5. Pesto chicken salad over mixed greens
6. Roast tomato grilled cheese casserole, some sort of salad
7. Big salad meal TBD

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!

*I had canned corn beef on hand, which was just one small step above using dog food. There may be a palatable way to use it and I am open to any and all suggestions.



23 comments:

  1. Your menu sounds like a beautiful summer menu, Anne. I can’t help you with the corned beef as it remember of dog food too, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of cans because I like to keep a few things on hand that can be eaten just warmed up rather than having prolonged cook times. I am sure there is a way to eat it that would be better but I honestly have no idea what it might be.

      Delete
  2. We loved corned beef in the can growing up. Mama made it with diced potatoes and gravy. It was sort of sloppy looking. I think we had spinach served with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste was not terrible but the texture was extremely off-putting to me.

      Delete
  3. Well done you.
    Eeeew on the canned corn beef front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty gross. Edible, yes, but not a pleasant meal.

      Delete
  4. Your meals sound delicious. Canned corned beef is a treat for me! I saute onions and tomatoes in a pan, add the corned beef cut up in slices, sprinkle chili powder over it all and cook it all the way through. The corned beef slices usually break up, but, that's fine. Add a little lemon juice just before taking it off the fire. I eat it with bread or with rice. I am down to one can and have been waiting to see if there is a sale to buy more, but, I don't think it goes on sale anymore. The brand name cans are selling for $6.99 at the store I order for pick up; the store brand is cheaper ($4.89 a can), but, they will only ship it, if ordering online, according to the website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you ate last week sounds great to me. I would love to try some pesto chicken salad and smoked trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pesto chicken is just about ready for our dinner tonight. We had trout toast at a restaurant in Nashville and I could not keep myself from using my fork to try and deconstruct it. It was so good. I can usually pick out ingredients by taste but I am not sure if they used cream cheese or mascarpone. I decided to try the latter first but I could be wrong.

      Delete
  6. Your meals all sound delicious. Well, except for the canned corned beef. I have never tried it so I can't offer any suggestions. After your description of it, I doubt I'll ever try it now. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep canned foods on hand to have during storm season power outages. So far it is my least favorite.

      Delete
  7. Your meals sound yummy! I need to google barbecola chicken.
    My Mom used to fix canned corned beef sandwiches sometimes when I was little, and I vaguely remember them being ruebanish, but not something I want to eat again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. t is pretty simple, use your favorite brand of bbq sauce and an equal amount of Coke. Pour it over the chicken, bake covered until it is almost done. Toss it on the grill to finish cooking while basting it with the sauce left in the baking pan.

      Delete
  8. I don't like corned beef even when it's not in a can, so can't help you there. Otherwise, you ate well for another week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like corned beef, but this canned stuff is not my favorite

      Delete
  9. I'm with Live & Learn. No ideas on that corned beef. I'd donate it, because I'm lazy like that. ;-) We had meatloaf from the freezer last night, along with leftover scalloped potatoes, & it hit the spot. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to investi-Google Barbecola chicken ... and now I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you are ahead of me because I haven't made a meal plan all summer! Yesterday Madison was here and we decided to marinate some chicken. She threw some avocado oil and pesto together and Steve grilled it. It was delicious! Tonight I am thinking some ravioli and salad. Exciting! Have a cozy afternoon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me a plan is just a suggestion, and as long as everyone who wants to eat has a meal of some sort, then it is a win

      Delete
  12. I went to the store and bought sushi... so lazy

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.