Translate

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Playing with my food



 I was mucking through the kitchen pantry this morning and found a partial jar of steel cut oats* which needed to be used. Since we do not eat oatmeal on any sort of regular basis, I thought I would do a little experiment with them. I remembered reading a long time ago about a vegan option for taco "meat" using the oats as a starting point. I figured I might as well give it a try.



Trust me when I tell you this is not a recipe, but is just my trial and error attempt at making something palatable using the oats

To begin with I cooked the oats until they were almost done. (Next time I will cook them with a little beef bouillon or in beef broth for added flavor). I put them in a strainer and rinsed until the water ran clear. (Don't fuss at me about wasting water. I saved it to water plants) I did have to stop and stir the oats a few times to clear all of the starchy goo.

Next came the experimental part. I used all the herbs and spices I normally use when making tacos; oegano, ground cumin, ground coriander, chili powder, garlic powder,  a little onion powder just because, and a little paprika for color.  I can't tell you the amounts I used though. I did a lot of single grain taste tests to get it geared to my particular palette. When I had the spices correct, it still felt a little off so I stirred in about a half tablespoon of olive oil. That made a surprising difference in the "feel".


This is what the finished product looked like. I think next time I might add a little tomato paste to the cooking liquid for a more intense color. 

I decided the real test would be to have it for lunch as a taco filling. Luckily I had a ziplock bag with some leftover taco shells, and some tomato slices, onions and lettuce left over from our burger night. I was too lazy decided I could live without shredding any cheese and had no sour cream, so I guess this was a partial version of what a traditional taco at my house would be.

Normally I would have the "meat" at the bottom of the taco and some is, but I added a bit more to the top so you could see it.

And now it has been eaten and it's time for the final judgement. I ate about half with no salsa on it, and it was not very good. It was not bad, but it did not have that ummph that a taco should have. The salsa changed it completely. The mouth feel is much different than using ground chuck as the base, but it was still very tasty. I think with shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream it would be really good

Final thoughts? I took the remaining taco oats and put them in freezer bags labeled taco extender. I plan on using half traditional taco meat and half taco oats the next time we have tacos for dinner. I am not going to tell TheHub to see if he even notices. Luckily he does not read this blog , so . . . 
SHHHHH!!!! Mums the word!

* First step this week using one hard to use pantry item

18 comments:

  1. I tried oats in a savory dish like that once and the texture was off-putting to me. But a half and half mix might be the key. That's essentially what meat loaf is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when I do the half and half mix I will throw the oats in the same pan with the cooked ground chuck so it might absorb some of the beefy flavor. Hopefully the 1 to 1 ratio will have the right mouth feel and very similar tastes.

      Delete
  2. Well done. Mouth feel is nearly as important as taste for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little bit of olive oil really did change the mouth feel.

      Delete
  3. I am sure that it will work well as a taco meat extender. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 11:20 AM

      I hope it does, but even if it doesn't work well at least I have used the remaining steel cuts oats

      Delete
  4. It looks chewy and delicious. Never thought of using oats in tacos though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 11:24 AM

      It should work as an extender and honestly if I were vegan it would be a perfectly acceptable meat substitute.

      Delete
  5. I think I'd be making oatmeal cookies instead but good for you for using it up anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 11:26 AM

      If I had rolled oats cookies would be exactly how I used it.

      Delete
  6. In high school, I worked at a fast food (non-chain) Mexican restaurant, and they definitely used oats in their ground beef. If I remember correctly, they just added it directly to the ground beef while cooking, but the portions were small vs the amount of ground beef we were prepping at any given time. I believe they also put the oatmeal through the food processor first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 11:28 AM

      The true test will come when I make tacos. It will be interesting to see TheHub's reaction to it.

      Delete
  7. My husband always followed my blog so I couldn't get by with much. Sounds like you were brave to try that recipe and glad it worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 11:30 AM

      I would not call it brave at all. I have never been a linear thinker at all and grew up coloring outside the lines.

      Delete
  8. That's interesting, and a lot of work for this lazy cook - though I can certainly see where it would be good as an extender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 11:31 AM

      The true test is coming up soon!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on creating something new and not wasting any food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 12, 2023 at 1:58 PM

      Ideally I would have zero food waste, but I know that is not really going to happen. The best I can do is try and minimize it.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.