Translate

Sunday, July 9, 2023

Weeklyjoys

 
This week the joys were fairly small,  but still joys 
It was a week of meetings, dinner company, and general running around. 


Saturday: Did some running around with TheHub. The day was super hot so we tried to stay mostly inside. It didn’t work but we did try!
Son2 and DIL 2 were on our side of town and came over for dinner, conversation plus DIL2 and I found a wonderful new to us show about gardening in the south. We watched 2 episodes and learned that they need to hire a goatscaping service to clear their lake house property. I had no idea such a service was available locally, but it is. 

Sunday: We had a mostly restful day with reading and an accidental nap ( Mine happened while reading, TheHub's happened while watching a golf tournament)

Monday: The day was uneventful, but I did score both the weekly free item and the Monday only freebie at the Pig.  I will only get their giveaways if the weekly ad has prices that make the 10 buck additional purchase worth it. Most weeks it does not happen since The Pig has generally higher prices but this past week had ground chuck and chicken leg quarters priced in my wheel house. In addition to stocking my freezer I scored free aluminum foil and hefty freezer bags. (Bonus joy: I came straight home and processed the ground chuck for the freezer, then cooked the chicken quarters either by stewing or bbqing. The bbq was ready for later in the week, the other cooked chicken was removed from the bones and frozen, plus I have 2 and a half quarts of chicken broth frozen)

Tuesday: TheHub and I had a lazy 4th until mid afternoon. Son2 and DIL2 came over to eat with us. I cannot tell you how much joy and laughter they bring into our lives. Actually all of my sons and their families do too, Son2 and DIL2 just live closer so we get to see them more. 
I am hopeful with the move to Nashville we will have more time with Son3 and DIL3, and TheHub and I have resolved to visit Portland more often (as time and the travel budget allows).

Wednesday: The day would have been uneventful if not for phone calls with my cousin S, followed by a call with Sluggy. There is nothing better than laughing!
That night I watched a couple of episodes of The Bear. I really do like that show!

Thursday: We had a 4:30 meeting that lasted about an hour. It was not too far from TheHub's office so I drove to meet him there. (He actually left work early__a minor miracle). We had planned to go out to eat somewhere close and decided on a place in Cahaba Heights. Rather than take up two spaces in their limited parking lot, he parked at The Summit (shopping center) and rode with me. We have been there enough times to remember we really only need to order one meal and one appetizer then split both. Even after sharing we still brought a small go box home.

Friday: TheHub came home at three for a telephone conference with a guy we have been talking to about doing some landscaping, and 30 minutes after that we met with a contractor. We are planning on gutting our master bath and making a few more improvements to the house for us to enjoy a few years, but will also make the house more appealing to buyers when we finally decide to downsize. We have wanted to do this for quite a while but one thing or another always got in the way. This summer we have a block of unscheduled time so it feels like the perfect opportunity. 

Saturday: This was an interesting day. We had applied for the Global Entry program and had been accepted, pending the in person interview. They have no facility in Birmingham and the closest to us is Huntsville. Unfortunately we would not be able to schedule an interview there until mid September. Instead we drove to Atlanta for about 5 minutes of actual time with the Customs official,  turned around and drove home. It feels like we have been having a lot of quick trips to the Atlanta airport lately. 

Have a great week and look for joys, large and small. They are always out there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers. 
Anne




24 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week of joys! Glad you are able to spend time with family; that is the best!
    Are you planning a lot of international travel with the global entry program? We were approved for TSA precheck several years ago, but we haven't traveled much since covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how much we are planning. Right now the only thing we have scheduled is a trip to St Barths, however this is the first step nudging TheHub toward retirement when we can start traveling

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of goats-for-hire in this area. That should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently saw an Instagram on the goat gardening. I'm finding frequent and plenty simple joys are needed right now more than any big wows. There's things I really long for that are beyond my control, but finding the small things keeps me going lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small joys make up most of the joys I find, bu small ones are still joyful.

      Delete
  4. Planning on doing some globe hopping are we?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goats for hire is a thing here as well. Improvements to our homes are always so refreshing. We've already downsized to our hopefully forever home but still try to keep it updated as well. Glad you had a nice week with some family time as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house suits us as it is, but looking down the road at reselling, there are a few things younger folks demand in a house and this will sell to someone with kids.

      Delete
  6. Until this house, most of our improvements have come just before we sell, with little time to enjoy them. It's smart that you are doing upgrades nowso you can have some time to appreciate them. Good luck. It's not an easy process, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure if we are going to do it we might as well enjoy it for a while.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good week, all around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to look up the Global Entry Program. If it's what I think it is it's interesting. And as for goatscaping, why not? Makes sense right. I don't know if you read John's blog at Going Gently but the Welsh town of Llandudno has wild goats that sometimes wander down into town and do a bit of "goatscaping" there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read that blog but I did look at it today. The goats sound wonderful, especially since they eat kudzu which will overtake a parked car in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  9. Between Tom's no energy and me loathing yard work, I may need to adopt a goat. Or several.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a beautiful day. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goats are marvelous creatures for eating pretty much anything. Plus they are fun to watch, though watch out for the head butts. I quite liked my brother's goat, Cliff, and was sad when he passed away.
    Good luck with the landscaping and construction. The yard work here is nearing completion but I expect it will be another week or so to the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The landscaper and I are having a few disagreements about plants. I don't want azaleas or this pink fluffy grass that looks like cotton candy. I just want variegated shrubbery and wild oak hydrangeas.
      The construction___thats going to be the hard thing for me. I think we will be relocating to the basement rooms for the duration. I am just dreading moving all the clothes from the coset. IT is going to be a big mess for a bit.

      Delete
  12. Joel had goats on much of the state land he managed. They will eat anything,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what I understand. I am trying to talk my sister into using them for her backyard because I want to watch them at work.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.