Translate

Monday, July 3, 2023

Return To Planning

Life has settled down to a dull roar here now with just the two of us here. June was busy and I cooked very little and planned even less. It is time to hop back on the Monday morning meal train and make some sort of movement toward a plan.


Hopefully the 4th will see a bunch of pool time with an easy evening meal*,  with  the remaining week's fodder  filled with night swims and lighter fare. 
TheHub and I have a meeting early Thursday evening, and have already planned on eating out afterward. Since we are going to be in the area, we will pick somewhere close to that office then run by Trader Joe's. I really like to incorporate trips to things in the same geographic area, and there are a lot of restaurants out that way that I do not normally go to. (TheHub works on that side of town and goes out to lunch every day. He can always offer tried and true recomendations
I based this weeks menus mostly on foods that are on hand. I am also going to follow something The Hawaii Plan lists as part of her frugal plan. She uses 5 "hard to use" freezer or pantry items each month. Instead of using 5 each month, I am going to try and use 2 each week. It may or may not work, but at least I am attempting it.

Planned: (In no particular order)
1.Butter peas, okra, corn pudding, some sort of salad or coleslaw (or possibly just sliced tomatoes.)
2. July 4th dinner, ribs, coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans
3. Sandwiches TBD
4. Out to eat 
5. Barbacola chicken, corn on the cob, tomato cucumber onion salad
6. Pesto chicken salad on mixed greens
7. Pasta with formaggio sauce, tossed salad 

Laziness or lack of interest could change any part of, or the entire meal plan. 

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all.

* The ribs were purchased already barbecued, and most likely the potato salad will be store bought. A bag of potatoes is too many for us, and buying 2 single potatoes costs almost as much as a container of potato salad from Publix.


24 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good meal plan. I've only gotten as far as today which is going to be steak for me and wings for the big guy. I really want homemade potato salad or macaroni salad but I'm lacking motivation. I hope it pops up sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I am lacking motivation and will just buy the stuff already made because I can.

      Delete
  2. I could go for some good ribs done by someone else right now. Eat smarter, not harder, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It works for us in theory, but who knows what will actually happen.

      Delete
  4. I will make potato salad and eat from it a few days. It is a lot of dicing, but I love potato salad. Tommy loves baked beans, so will make those for him. Chicken or steak and anything else that is easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the prep work, I just don't keep or buy potatoes that often and I hate to throw them out after they sprout huge eyes and get all wrinkly.

      Delete
  5. Happy eating - with or without a plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plan is a moveable menu not to be confused with a moveable feast (But I really did want to use the word feast instead of menu)

      Delete
  6. I love your disclaimer. I'd ask if I could borrow it, but since I don't plan, no need. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of it as my personal truth in advertising.

      Delete
  7. My husband's smoking a pork shoulder for the 4th. That's the only plan we have this week. Enjoy your week on or off your plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! I need to make progress on my goal. With the kids sporadically around for dinners, we never know who we are feeding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good to me! I am planning on having a hamburger for the 4th. Chicken curry and rice with green beans and lentil curry on some of the other days, with maybe something different towards the end of the week - coconut roti, maybe, with leftover chicken curry gravy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A burger is a great 4th meal. If we did not live in the south where bbq I essential for the day, I could be tempted by a good hamburger.

      Delete
  10. Happy 4th of July Anne. I'm sure your day will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 4th of July! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr Bill’s suddenly closed in Northport after 31 years. We, unknowingly, ate there on their last day, which was Saturday. I am very sad. Loved their fried green tomatoes and fried okra. My son loved their banana pudding and fried catfish. I hope Buddy’s doesn’t close. I like to go eat a steak wearing my jeans. I am in my work suit (aka I call it my straight jacket…lol) every day so to be able to dress casually when I go out to eat is a treat! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about eating casually. There are restaurants nearby where I will only go in the cooler months because it is just too hot to "dress" for dinner right now.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.