Translate

Monday, July 24, 2023

When It's Too Hot to Cook

When it is hot and steamy outside my general love of cooking flies out the window. Or it would fly out the window if they were not bolted tight to keep the air conditioned air in the house.
When it is like this I don't give a flip what we do or do not eat and the plans certainly reflect my dinner time apathy. I need to make dinner fun!




What was planned:
1. Squash casserole, butter peas, coleslaw, cornbread
2. Chicken Divan, dinner rolls
3. PF Changish lettuce wraps
4. Whatever (TheHub will be out of town and I am not cooking just for me)
5. Eggroll in a bowl
6. Chicken salad on greens
7. Out to eat

What we really ate:
Monday:This was the first meal using the leftover rotisserie chicken
Chicken divan, tossed salad

Tuesday: TheHub was in Atlanta. Cold leftovers to the rescue.
Leftover meatloaf, coleslaw

Wednesday: TheHub was driving home from ATL and was unsure of what time he would arrive home. I wanted something quick, easy and a one dish meal.
Eggroll in a bowl

Thursday: The second meal using the rotisserie chicken leftovers. (We actually also had it again for Saturday lunch) 
Chicken salad on romaine

Friday: TheHub was tired and we had a severe short thunderstorm which knocked out cooking on the grill.
Patty Melts, celery sticks

Saturday: Fundraiser dinner
Roast beef, mashed potatoes, some forgettable vegetable, tossed salad, rolls, banana pudding (uneaten because I hate bananas)

Sunday: Veggie dinner time
Squash casserole, lady peas, sliced tomatoes

What's next (maybe)
1. Taco salad
2. Leftover squash, leftover lady peas, cornbread, cuke tomato and onion salad
3. Monte Cristo sandwich, tossed salad
4. P F Changish lettuce wraps
5. TheHub has a dinner meeting I am not cooking just for me
6. Pork chops, succotash, sliced cucumbers
7. Out to eat

Have a great week staying on plan,  going off plan, or with no plan at all!

18 comments:

  1. The severe, short thunderstorms we have been having are really unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it is really stinking hot I tend to eat fruit. Mango makes a perfectly fine dinner in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me also, and popcorn is a perfectly acceptable winter meal

      Delete
  3. Salads, sandwiches, and cold roast chicken are some of my favorite meals when it is hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that doesn't have to be cooked is my favorite when it is hot.

      Delete
  4. Just made a zucchini casserole too. Leftover roasted chicken sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rotisserie chicken from Costco was gigantic. We wound up getting 4 meals for 2 people from it. Then I stuck the carcass in a boiler and have another quart of chicken broth for the freezer.

      Delete
  5. All of your meals sound really good. When it's this hot, I go as light and as simple as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have liked eating at your house this week. It all sounded good. I'm rarely in the mood for cooking, no matter what the weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking but I do not love steaming up the kitchen during these hot hot days

      Delete
  7. We had the PF Changs lettuce wraps last week, and they were delicious. Last night, I had the gourmet meal of: a large bowl of strawberries from the garden, some salad, and two hot dogs unearthed from the freezer. I'm all about easy leftovers during hot weeks. Luckily, our freezer is packed right now, so we should be in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping the house cool is my focus right now so the least invasive cooking is my aim.
      Newly picked strawberries sounds like a perfect dinner.

      Delete
  8. I miss you and Kay is mean to me. Need rescued immediatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely is a plan maker! My advice to you is to learn "no" can be a complete sentence

      Delete
  9. We’ve had the thunderstorms too, ugh. It just gets so hot, high is why they happen. Your menu sounds so good even though you don’t enjoy cooking in this heat. Patty melts are some of our favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The patty melts were really good. It is not something I usually think to make.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.