Translate

Monday, July 31, 2023

Avoiding The Kitchen

I am not exactly sure how it happened but this week saw a lot of eating out. When it is this hot I certainly do not mind being out of the kitchen. And what could be more pleasing than going out a night, or two, or possibly even three?



What was planned; (Insert delusional laugh here)
1. Taco salad
2. Leftover squash, leftover lady peas, cornbread, cuke tomato and onion salad
3. Monte Cristo sandwich, tossed salad
4. P F Changish lettuce wraps
5. TheHub has a dinner meeting I am not cooking just for me
6. Pork chops, succotash, sliced cucumbers
7. Out to eat

What really and truly happened:
Monday: I had picked up some pork chops on sale at The Pig, so dinner planned itself.
Pork chops, succotash, sliced cucumbers 

Tuesday: I bought 7 pounds of ground chuck on sale at The Pig Monday. Most of it was portioned and processed for freezing but I did leave about 1/2 pound out for dinner.
Taco salad

Wednesday: TheHub was very late getting home and I was not planning to cook until he let me know he was on the way. Sorry but I was not going to begin cooking at 8. Dinner was on him 
Salvatore's: Lasagne, salad

Thursday: TheHub had a dinner meeting and we already know I don't cook for just me.
Leftover pork chop and squash caserole.

Friday: TheHub wanted to go out to eat. I am not stupid enough to disagree with him about that.
The Electric: pastrami sandwich w/ coleslaw, or the classic flatbread

Saturday: Son3 said Saturday would be the best night to celebrate his birthday
The Half Shell Oyster House: Various fish dishes

Sunday: Lazy, hot and not really hungry
Huge garden salad

What may or may not happen (apathy abounds):
1. Squash casserole, pink eyed peas, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, peach cobbler
2. Turkey reuben, coleslaw
3. PF Chag-ish lettuce wraps
4. TheHub has a dinner meeting so leftovers for me
5. Chicken salad on greens
6. Out to eat
7. Salad dinner or something cooked on the grill (TBD based on weather and/or mood)

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.






23 comments:

  1. I started to get the pork chops on sale. Maybe not. Right now, I am preparing to put two packages of chicken in the oven. Tommy will be in charge of taking it all out. I have vegetable to put in the chicken, but he wants potatoes, too. It is less humid out, so that is a plus. And, the heat won't bother this kitchen, thankfully. In my house, I would have died of heat in the kitchen as the sun set on that corner of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the pork chops last week and bought the .59 per pound chicken quarters today.
      My kitchen is pretty large and doe not really get terribly hot unless I am using the oven.

      Delete
  2. It is literally years since we have eaten out. Colour me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you did not go out to eat much, but did not realize it had been that long. TheHub would go out to eat as often as I would agree to.

      Delete
  3. Taco salad sounds good and refreshing. I need to add that to our menu this week. Your delusional laugh and apathy crack me up. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to call it like you see it. The laugh and apathy are real.

      Delete
  4. My lovely neighbor helped with my menu planning this week with the gift of a frozen pizza, Armenian bread, and salami! Oh, and cookies for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer the homemade meals...everything I eat I made myself. Not a fan of dining out ever since covid. But that oyster house sounds something that I would love too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy eating out. The restaurants we go to have their tables spaced far enough apart that I feel pretty comfortable going. There have been a few where we planned on dining but after walking in we turned around and walked out just because of their table spacing.

      Delete
  6. My husband would eat out all the time too if left to his own devices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub would. He loves eating out at night even though he eats lunch out every day at work.

      Delete
  7. I had a chicken fajita taco salad yesterday for lunch and it really hit the spot. Light and tasty but not too filling. I like lighter meals this time of year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just prefer much lighter fare during the summer. If it were up to me we would have a cold meal every night.

      Delete
  8. I'm in a rut. I put a little chicken in the air fryer almost every evening and fix some broccoli and that's it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all get into ruts a lot of the time. Even when I make a plan we still tend to fall into a meal rut.

      Delete
  9. I have been trying to use a lot of my frozen items, so I kind of have to plan to keep from buying more than I need

    ReplyDelete
  10. But the important is all that was real good food. Have a nice summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was good and even better when I didn't have to cook.

      Delete
  11. We haven't tried The Electric yet. I need to add it to our list since we live nearby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a small sandwich/neighborhood bar in Bluff Park off Tyler across the parking lot from the new Pig. It is close to us so we go there quite often.

      Delete
  12. Your husband approach is so different from mine. I make dinner when I want to, and if he's not hungry when it's ready, he can have leftovers. Man, that sounds awful when I put it in print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does not sound awful at all. Everyone has to do what works for them.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.