Translate

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Small Batch Baking


One of the Youtube videographers I watch fairly regularly is Whippoorwill Holler.  Ms. Laurie shares recipes regularly and because she was a school lunch lady she sometimes shares things she made for the school kids. One of her fairly recents posts was a small batch Texas Sheet Cake . Of course I had to try it because I do remember having it when I was a school kid. It was very good and since it was a small cake we did not have a lot leftover.

I also remembered a sheet cake from school days that was very much like the Texas sheet cake, but was a peanut butter cake with peanut butter icing. I used the basic recipe from Ms. Laurie's video and tweaked it to try and recreate the cake I remembered. TheHub went to parochial school and had no memory of said cake, but he was a willing tester even though he had nothing to compare it with. My first try was pretty good, the cake part was spot on but the icing was much too sweet. This is the result of my 2nd attempt.



Cake
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk*
pinch of salt

In a small pot add the water, butter and peanut butter. Cook until just melted, then remove from heat. Stir in the sugar and the vanilla. If you want to now you can put the mixture in a bowl but I just kept everything in the same small boiler. Let the mixture cool until it is lukewarm then toss in the egg yolk. Stir to combine well. Add the dry ingredients. mix well then add the buttermilk.
Pour into a greased and floured pan. (Who am I kidding? Spray that sucker with a baking spray) I have a 9 1/2 x 6 1/2 jelly roll pan that I used, but a pie pan or an 8x8 cake pan should work also.
It baked at 325 degrees in a convection oven (350 for a conventional oven? ) for about 16 minutes.  Do the touch test and see if it is done. (start checking after about 14 minutes) This makes a very thin cake, just a tad over 1/2 inch thick so it does cook quickly.
Set it aside to cool just a little while making the frosting.

Frosting
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
enough buttermilk* to make this spreading consistency ( about a tablespoon)

In a small pan melt the butter and peanut butter in the water.  Add the vanilla then stir in the confectioners
sugar. Add enough buttermilk to make the icing smooth. Spread it over the still warm cake, walk out of the room and don't touch it until everything is cool and the icing is set. 







This tastes just as I remembered it tasting and looks like the very thin cakes our school lunchroom offered.
If you try this let me know what you think. 












* I used buttermilk because we do not keep milk in the house but I always have powdered buttermilk in the refrigerator.  It was easy to reconstitute it.  I am sure regular milk would work just as well.

26 comments:

  1. Similar to the recipe I use. When I need buttermilk and have none, I use milk minus one tablespoon, and replace that tablespoon with either vinegar or lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 18, 2023 at 12:37 PM

      We just so rarely have milk on hand that I have to rely on the powdered stuff

      Delete
  2. I have absolutely no memory of school cake. The other day I saw a video of someone starting a cake in a pot. I thought that was strange. It is the first time I have ever heard or seen anyone boiling stuff for a cake. Maybe not...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 18, 2023 at 12:45 PM

      My school always had about a 2 inch square piece of cake in a little bowl. I rarely got it because you had to pay more for it.

      Delete
  3. I love smaller cakes like this since it is just the two of us most times. This looks great. I'm familiar wit texas sheet cake but I don't remember having it at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 18, 2023 at 12:48 PM

      it really is a good tasting cake. The fact that it is small is just a bonus

      Delete
  4. The only school lunches I ever had were what was brought from home! My school had what was called a "tuck shop" where we could buy snacks, but, there was no cafeteria with lunch ladies and school lunches! My daughter's schools had cafeterias, etc., but, she disliked the food that was served, so I usually packed a lunch for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anne in the kitchenJuly 18, 2023 at 3:52 PM

      I took my lunch fairly regularly until I was in the 5th or 6th grade. By then I bought iit more often. Since the cake costs more than the standard lunch I had it very rarely.

      Delete
  5. We never had anything like this while I was at school. We had a tuck shop and could buy snacks and a limited range of sandwiches. The lunch ladies didn't cook, though they did make the sandwiches and served the sausage rolls/pies/chips etc. Most of us bought our lunches from home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anne in the kitchenJuly 18, 2023 at 3:49 PM

    Throughout my entire time in school the lunchroom staff made hot meals. I did take my lunch a lot of the time, but I also bought it on occasion. To have a piece of the cake was a rarity for me, but they had it available nearly every day in the cafeteria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks rich and very tasty with that glorious frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just today I saw a series of photos of people from the hollers. I don't think I've ever heard of it before and whaddayaknow, here they are again!
    I had to have a quick look at the channel, it looks like something i need to pursue :)
    As for cake, we didn't have it at school, except on the day of the sport carnival when we could order a cream bun or a finger bun. Funny what sticks in your memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching their vlog. She is just so unpretentious and cute as a button.!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for that lady's Youtube recommendation. I'm always happy to discover new channels. In fact just this week I discovered Cooking with Morgane and love it. She's French but of Asian origin so it's mainly Asian food, but so easy and so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I will look at Cooking with Morgane. I like finding new channels also.

      Delete
  10. I love Texas sheet cake, but I don't remember having it or any other dessert at school. We didn't have choices of what we bought to eat. You got whatever went on your tray, but it was always a hot meal. This peanut butter cake looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In elementary school we had no choices for the meal, but they always had a few things you could buy for an additional price.

      Delete
  11. We had a cafeteria in high school - the only things I recall purchasing were french fries and some sort of salad they made. I do like the sound of this cake, my son only eats fresh baking, if it's a day old he often won't eat it. So a small cake sounds good, especially with peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never went to a school without a cafeteria. There is a book available through Kindle "Small Batch Baking" by Sarah Kline. I picked it up and have enjoyed reading the recipes though I have only tried a couple of them. We just don't need a lot of baked excess.

      Delete
  12. Oh, I love watching her channel. Your cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Belinda. I have been watching her for quite a while.

      Delete
  13. Your cake looks divine! That recipe could not be simpler.
    Our elementary school did not serve peanut butter cake, but we did have thin peanut butter bars with chocolate frosting--they were my favorite. They were like this: https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/lunch-lady-peanut-butter-bars/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those peanut butter bars sound delicious. I just bookmarked them and they will be very easy to cut the recipe in fourths

      Delete
  14. I do recognize that this cake was created to fulfill a childhood taste memory.
    I tasted the cake batter and felt it was a bit sweet, as well as light on PB flavor. Next time I'll try only 1/3 cup sugar, & 1 T butter with 3 T PB. My DS also asked for chocolate, so I'll probably add 1/4 C mini choc chips to the flour before mixing it in.

    For the frosting I used only 1/2 T butter with 2 T PB. I liked that ratio.

    Bottom line: I enjoyed it very much! It was super quick and easy to pull together. It's a good snack cake. It's flexible enough that you can tweak it to your preferences, as I did/will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to make it your own. Recipes are really nothing but suggestions anyway.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.