Translate

Thursday, June 3, 2021

First Things First Then Sweetening The Evening



For our Memorial Day meal I wanted to do something a little more festive than just pulling smoked pork out of the freezer and warming it up, plus I was craving something desserty. 

Faux strawberry pretzel salad


 Crust
3/4 cup ground walnuts (takes about 1 1/2 cups walnut pieces)
1 1/2 tablespoons softened butter
1 tablespoon sweetener of choice (I used Lakanto golden monk fruit)
sea salt 

Grind the walnuts into a fine powder, but be very careful because the time between fine powder and walnut butter is just a mini second. (Ask me how I know. Anyone want a walnut butter and sugar free jelly sandwich on no carb bread?)  Mix the walnut meal with the softened butter and the sweetener  and press into the bottom of an 8x8 oven safe pan. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, remove from the oven, sprinkle lightly with sea salt, and set it aside until it is completely cool.

Creamy Goodness
3 ounces softened cream cheese
1/4 cup powdered sweetener (I used powdered Swerve)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream whipped to stiff peaks

Stir the cream cheese, sweetener and the vanilla until smooth. Gently fold  the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Spread it over the completely cooled crust and pop it into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.



Cut into small squares to serve and add a dollop of sugar free strawberry jam.

I made this so I could have something decadent for our Memorial Day lackluster meal. Even though it was keto I offered some to TheHub. It is always a good idea to get a non-ketonian's opinion to see if it will pass. I am guessing he liked it because he had 3 servings on Memorial Day, forgot  it was in the laundry room fridge Tuesday, but had 2 more servings Wednesday night. Yes, I am calling it a hit!. 

If you are not doing keto, you might use pretzel crumbs in place of the walnuts, and use sugar and confectioner's sugar instead. The sweeteners I used are all 1-1 substituted for real sugars. 

If you are doing keto, this is a fabulous occasional treat. I would love to have it several times a week, but that’s a no go for me. 

This is much tastier than the traditional pretzel salad which uses Jello instead of jam, but then I detest Jello so it might just be a personal preference.

I will confess I did not use jam. I had some perfect strawberries and I just cooked them until they felt a little thick and then stuck them in the fridge to get cold. It worked well but if my strawberries had not been so sweet I probably would have needed to add some sweetener.

This is definitely a keeper!

21 comments:

  1. The real strawberries would be great since I detest strawberry jam. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, but honestly the strawberries were very jam like

      Delete
  2. It is early here, and after reading this post I am craving sweet decadence. NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am glad TheHub liked it so much. It wold be too much of a temptation if it were still around.

      Delete
  3. Keto or not it sure sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds delicious. My keto eating husband doesn't actually enjoy the taste of sweet things, so it would be wasted on him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Anne- I'm not doing Keto but trying to eat little sugar, flour, etc. I detest Jello too! I have some fresh shrimp for tonight and am going to make shrimp scampi. I'm up early as usual and have 2 meetings this AM and then can relax. My grandkids will be here soon for a short visit YAY. Any plans to see Pip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grandma envious! Nothing is better than seeing the grands! We will see Pip live and in person in August. Until then it has to be a FaceTime event, but I am so incredibly grateful for that.
      Jello is just foul!

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious!
    I haven't had pretzel salad in years, but I think I would love your version. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has never been one of my favorite desserts, but this version was seriously good.

      Delete
  7. Wow, does that look good! I'm not much of a dessert person but I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time saying no to a piece of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweets are my nemesis, so I am really glad TheHub ate most of it. Sweets are his nemesis too but he is no doing sugars either.

      Delete
  8. Not Keto friendly, but I made a blueberry and apple pie for Memorial Day. Pie making is a rare occurrence around here, so we all definitely enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that sounds delicious! I have made a couple of keto pies and the keto pie crust is so underwhelming that it is just not worth the effort.

      Delete
  9. I have made this before with layers of sugar free pudding and cream cheese and nuts. But then I have been eating low carb off and on since my dancing days. Not that I want to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been since keto. Not doing it off and on is the reason keto is necessary

      Delete
  10. It sounds delicious! I think I'd like the walnut crust more than the pretzel crust!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.