Translate

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Getting Crabby Over Here

Over the weekend we were finally able to find lump crabmeat and I was more than thrilled because it meant we would be able to have the long craved and awaited crab cakes. These are the keto version, which is simply a ketofied version of my regular crab cakes.  From start to finish this is about a 30 minute process that tastes like so much more time and love went into it.


Again I apologize for using this song. I am sorry that once I hear something it sticks in my brain and comes out at inopportune times.



Crab cakes 
1 pound lump crabmeat, rinsed, shredded a little, and picked through for any residual shell pieces.
3 tablespoons minced onion
3 tablespoons minced celery
1 tablespoon minced red pepper* optional
1/4 cup almond flour (or 1 tablespoon flour for a non keto version)
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon  Captain Anderson's Seafood Blend* or 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning*
    A pinch of black pepper
Blend of butter and oil for frying

Mix the crab meat and the vegetables together, then sprinkle with the almond flour. Blend it well and let it stand for a couple of minutes.  Beat the egg and add the remaining ingredients.to the egg. Stir the egg mix into the crab mixture. Flatten each slightly and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet. 

Heat oil and butter to medium hot in a skillet with a flat bottom.  I did not measure but I used about a tablespoon of butter and 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil .  When the oil and butter are hot, cook them (4 at a time) on one side for about 3-4 minutes (until the bottom is golden brown). Flip them with a cooking spatula but only flip once because they will com apart if you try to flip them more than once. (Just ask me how I know this.) When done drain them on a paper towel. Wipe out any cooking oil from the pan and cook the remaining 4 using fresh butter and oil. 

I served this with a lemon slice and remoulade sauce found here. I used a corse grain dark mustard instead of traditional yellow. Other than that I did pretty much what the recipe called for except to actually measure. Since I was not writing a recipe, I didn't have to do anything but eyeball it.

*If you prefer a traditional Maryland type crab cake, use the Old Bay seasoning. I like to taste more crab than seasoning, so I used the Captn. Anderson's. Normally I just use a little salt, pepper and cayenne but I was unsure how using almond flour would affect the taste (not at all), so I punched the flavor up a little bit more than I normally would.

Speaking of Captain Anderson's seasoning: the link I provided has it for 7 bucks.  At ThePig I get it for 3.95 which is the only reason I have it!


29 comments:

  1. Nice, simple recipe that lets the flavor of the crab shine through. Like the almond flour in the keto version -- I think I'd just use that, period, instead of flour for the non-keto folks. Bet they'd never notice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub is not keto and he did not notice a taste difference at all, not did I. The texture might have been a little different just because the flour and egg combo creates a stronger "hold", which is why flipping only once is critical. It did not take me messing up more than one crab cake to learn that!

      Delete
  2. Sounds great to me! Crabmeat costs an arm and a leg in this neck of the woods. Great recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 20 bucks a pound here, but worth every single penny!

      Delete
  3. Sounds delicious!
    I am landlocked so jealous of your proximity to fresh seafood.
    I think the best crab cakes that I ever tasted were on Tangier Island. Best soft shell crab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic. We are only 4 hours from the gulf, so it is close enough to get fresh seafood daily.

      Delete
  4. When getting crabby is a most definitely positive thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, how I love a good crab cake! These sound & look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been craving one for over a month. We have decided to go to the gulf in late August so this one will have to hold me until then.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you are getting crabby over there! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best possible way for me to get crabby!

      Delete
  7. Sounds delicious! We make baked crab cakes with a red pepper aioli. Speaking of which, I need to put this on our summer vacation menu, because it sounds great right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. The red pepper aioli sounds great too!

      Delete
  8. Living in Maryland, I say that you can't have crab cakes without Old Bay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know making them without is controversial. I just like the crab to be the primary taste.

      Delete
  9. Both your crab cakes and your peruvian chicken sound really wonderful!

    best ... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those sound so delicious! We have a grocery store here who brings in fresh fish - I guess I need to check if they have crab meat. Or I'll have to make salmon patties.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.