Translate

Friday, June 4, 2021

Gotta Get My Joy On

And now another week has come and gone. Somehow I got a week ahead of myself and this is the end of the 22nd week of 2021, or the beginning of week 23 depending on your point of view. For me with this joy, list I am looking in the mirror at the week that just ended, but the moment I hit publish I will be looking at the present, and of course at the week ahead. 
As usual I have kept a list of the things that brought me happiness during the week. At the end of the year I will re-read every post and look back at the good things that happened every single day.

I am taking teeny tiny baby steps to rejoin the world, but doing so at my own pace, wearing a mask and going nowhere without a small container of hand sanitizer.  I am counting that as a major joy, just not a joy for any specific day. 



Friday: I woke and walked into my bright and sunny den thanks to the change from the winter to the summer curtains.  It was wonderful to wake to cheery rather than dreary. Just before lunch one of Son3's friends stopped by to help me get the cover off the pool. I am so thankful for Ben! The water was mostly free of debris but it was a less than lovely shade of green. A ton of salt and a few days of filtering would change it, but it looked pretty bad then. 
Midday I watched the NCAA regional softball tournament. Bama played Kentucky and won the first game. 
Later I talked with a wonderful friend. (I am no longer calling her a blog friend because she has transitioned into a 3-D friend. Yes, I am lucky!) 

Saturday: TheHub and I rode around to do a few errands that turned into a 3 hour tour. But we had to be back in time to watch the NCAA regional softball tournament. Bama played Kentucky for the second time and won both, Roll Tide! After the game TheHub wanted to do a couple of other things so we drove around, to do a few errands, wound up at a seafood shop and found lump crabmeat! True joy there!

Sunday: The morning was really cool but we decided to put on light weight jackets and stream our church services while sitting on the screened porch in spite of the chill. It was a perfect way to begin a Sunday.
Later we made a run to get pool salt and look for a replacement to our broken wheelbarrow. So where was the joy? We found something that functions just like a wheelbarrow but instead of one wheel it had two, side by side for much more stability. Our yard has a slight slope and we have both noticed that it is harder to keep the wheelbarrow from listing toward the downhill side, especially if we have heavy loads.  Yes, we are now officially old. I guess I am only one step away from a 3 wheeled "bike".

Monday: It was Memorial Day. I began my day with coffee and watching a couple of Memorial Day dedications. TheHub began his day puttering in the yard. We got my horse trough set up with rocks and soil and now it is waiting for me to plant it. Later we had a decent meal followed by a Netflix movie. Woman at the Window was a surprising thriller.

Tuesday: My favorite handyman began working on Mom's house. Though nothing major was done, he did get the beginnings of several multi step projects started. Progress! DIL2 stopped by for a visit. She works in the home health care industry and had a gap between patients, so I got to enjoy some time with her.

Wednesday: More things were happening at Mom's, but again nothing major. When I checked the pool water I noticed it was significantly clearer. Whoopee! Just a few more days until it is ready for swimming. Later  in the afternoon, I had a few laughs on a phone call with my cousin.

Thursday: Yippee! The quartz countertop and undermount sink was installed in the master bath at Mom's. The faucet installation will soon follow. It looks great! 
After eating dinner TheHub and I watched Alabama play Arizona in the NCAA Softball World Series. Bama won! Roll Tide.
Later in the evening we had a fairly intense rain. Immediately afterward we  opened the den door so we could hear the symphony outside. After the heavy rain froggy went a courtin'. Actually lots of froggies went a courtin' and my backyard sounded like a Budweiser commercial, but we really do love listening to them.

As we begin the 23rd week of the year I hope you were able to find your joys. They are always out there if you just look for them, even if you have to look really hard some days!




22 comments:

  1. Lovely list of joys! My joys this week include more pain free days following a truly awful day on Monday, a friend visiting and cutting up peaches for me, zucchini harvest, and a fresh peach pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my mouth is watering right now at the thought of a fresh peach pie

      Delete
  2. Lucky you having a favourite handy man. You'd have to sell a kidney for that here! And even luckier you for having a pool! Some people have them here but I personally don't think they're worth the expense/time, given our climate, but each to his own, I guess. And you're right about the evening bird song/frog flirting and crickets rubbing their knees together (or whatever it is they rub together). It's a true joy isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been doing odd jobs(and large jobs) for me for over a dozen years. He is the kind of guy you can give the key to and nothing except work will happen!
      I love hearing the night music that all the critters make. When our Oregon DIL first visited in the summer she could not believe all the sounds. It's funny because unless we are actively listening for it we just kind of tune it out.

      Delete
  3. What a delightful list of joys. It is waaaaay too long since I have seen or heard a frog.
    And hooray for the continuing progress at your mama's place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frogs are so much fun to hear. They seem to escalate after rains and a lot of nights we sit on the screened porch and just listen to them.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you made it back in a timely manner from your three-hour tour. I love my little red wagon (radio flyer) because it has four wheels! It never fell over no matter what I did to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this cart because it has the lever effect of a wheelbarrow which makes heavy loads easy to lift, with the stability the 2 wheels provide. I had rather push than pull especially with our topography here.

      Delete
  5. Great list of Joys! Glad you'll be ready to swim soon and happy to hear things are in progress at your mom's house. I'll have to check out Woman at the Window, a love a good thriller. Have a fantastic and of course a joyful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha, I hope you have a lovely weekend too!

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy a chorus of frogs. My joy this week is that the cicadas are not out in my neighborhood, yet. However, they are deafening in some of the places I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing the frogs and immediately after the rains stop they are out en masse. I am not sure if the cicadas will be here this year or not. So far I have seen none of the tell tale carcasses.

      Delete
  7. That was very nice of your son's friend to help you with the pool cover. We want to go swimming soon too. It's the perfect time of y ear for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a really nice guy and I appreciate the help.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a lovely week of joys! Hope you enjoy your pool soon. I'm sure your Mom's house is looking great.
    I was surprised when we moved here, how such tiny little peepers could make such a noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lived in the south all my life, so I am used to it and never think of it as noise. It's just nighttime!

      Delete
  9. Love your list of joys. My joy for the week/year is that everyone in our house has had double vaccines. And, my boys were the last of my family (parents, sister, nephews) to get their vaccines due to age. Also, school being over for my high schooler (few days left for middle school) was my other highlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are thrilled everyone is vaccinated. My entire family is too (with the exception of Pip and she is too young) and it is a huge relief knowing everyone is doing whatever they can to protect themselves and others around them.
      I remember the days when school ended for the summer as relief!

      Delete
  10. Love a good joy list. Progress even if little is still progress on your moms house. Ooening of your pool so late in spring surprised me. I guess I have touristy pool brain and thought you use most of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to close it because of all the leaves in the fall. We could never keep up with removing them.

      Delete
  11. The Alabama teams just be on a roll (no pun intended) in every sport. I think every team you've mentioned has won. That's quite the record.

    Good to hear that things are getting done at your mom's. It won't be long and it will be on the market again. Even sooner, you'll be swimming in your pool, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a good vacuuming the pool is ready to go!
      Alabama is doing OK in sports right now! Roll Tide!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.