Translate

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Quick Chicken Fajita Salad


The one thing I really miss while doing keto is the simplicity meals can have if you are eating grains. I can find an imperfect solution to sandwich breads in the store, and can bake an acceptable dinner roll and cornless cornbread,  but things like tortillas or pita breads are virtually impossible to recreate.  (I have tried the egg tortillas and they taste just like eggs.  Bleh! The same can be said for the incredibly expensive cheese "tortillas" which are just thin round slices of cheese.)

The other night when I was planning my menu for the week I was craving fajitas. My go to now when I am craving a particular food that is normally served in something delicious it to turn it into a salad. I know it is not the same but it does deliver the tastes to my mouth, and that tends to satisfy my cravings. (Kinda)

Chicken fajita salad


Marinade
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons  olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of hot chili flakes (optional)
salt to taste  1/8 teaspoon (ish)

Put all the marinade ingredients in a zip lock bag and swish the ingredients around to mix. Add the chicken strips, seal the bag and leave it alone for at least 30 minutes. It is best if you do this in the morning and leave it all day in the fridge but I never remember to do that!



Salad
1 chicken breast, cut into strips and marinated* for at least 30 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small onion cut into strips
1/2 red pepper cut into strips
lettuce, washed and shredded (you decide how much you want)
1/2 tomato cut into wedges
1/2 lime cut into wedges
1/2 avocado cut into slices

Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions, when they soften bit toss in the pepper strips. Cook until they are crisp tender then remove the veggies from the skillet. Take  the chicken strips from the marinade and add to the pan. Cook until the chicken is done then remove from the pan. 
From here on you can do whatever you like. Fill your bowl with shredded lettuce then arrange the topping your way. I find it visually pleasing to put the chicken in the center of the bowl then put the individual toppings around the chicken, but there is no right or wrong way to do it. 

Serve with lime cilantro dressing. I confess I bought it prepared from a local Hispanic market, but I wanted it creamy so I stirred a couple of tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt in it. I found this recipe which was similar to the bottled one I bought. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/167260/cilantro-lime-dressing/

This is a really quick and tasty meal if you want a filling salad dinner. 


14 comments:

  1. You're so much more disciplined/inventive than I will ever be. I guess that's why I can never follow a diet for more than a few days. But that salad looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to have different foods, and if I am going to stay keto strong, I have to figure ways to keep it interesting.

      Delete
  2. Love that marinade mix - which would work for LOTS of things. Cummin is right up there with my favourite spices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would work for many things including tempeh, tofu or seitan.

      Delete
  3. It looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good and did look pretty when I put them on the table

      Delete
  4. It looks and sounds fantastic! I turn lots of stuff like that into salads too, I actually prefer it that way. Have a nice Sunday evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I prefer to have things on top of greens, but I have really been craving some traditional foods.

      Delete
  5. Ah, I wish I had seen your post sooner. I'm marinating chicken for baking. I will try this recipe next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I order out fajita salads sometimes. I don't make them at home because no one else likes onions or green peppers and it's more effort to make than I want to do. But yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.