Translate

Thursday, December 17, 2020

Happy Dinner Time Accident


 Tuesday night I had finished my gift wrapping and had put the finishing touches on the decorating and  started cleaning up the mess associated with decorating and wrapping. I completely forgot about taking something out of the freezer to make for dinner, when I remember a three pound roll of sausage I bought at Costco. I needed to do something with it  and even though I intended to just brown it, put it in the  freezer bin nice neat little bags, I thought it might be an option for dinner. 

                                                                   Sausage Meatloaf

1 pound breakfast sausage
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 egg
1/2 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (reserve half of the half for later)

Mix everything together in a big bowl until it is combined.  Put in a loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and spoon the reserved portion of the soup over the top of the loaf. Crank the oven up to 400 and bake another 10 or so minutes. Remove and let it rest for about 10 minutes. 
We were kind of surprised at how good it actually was, It was so tasty in fact, that the picture above is from my lunch Wednesday. It was the perfect cold weather meatloaf and I am adding it to our winter rotation.




Christmas sighting Day 17:
I made these blocks in the late 80's. They were just cut from a 2x2 , sanded, stained, and stenciled. The blocks have letters on 4 sides and can be configured for all the holidays as well as birthday and anniversary greetings plus a generic "Welcome Friends" which is what it is most of the year. . The hardest part for me was figuring out what letters to place where on each block. They have been used continually ever since I made them. After we bought this house they found a home in the center bay window by the kitchen table, and reflect what is seasonally happening. Though, for some strange reason during this past summer a workman mentioned that it was no longer an appropriate time to wish everyone Happy New Year. I am blaming that lapse on Covid!





25 comments:

  1. I have to try that meatloaf it sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sausage meatloaf sounds very tasty! I like your blocks! The year my daughter turned 3 and was learning her alphabet, I bought alphabet and numbers blocks to hang on the tree. Some were saved to spell out Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and I've reused them, every year. I never thought of using them year round, though! what a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blocks - and my slow meaning brain thinks that every day is a good chance to wish people a Happy Year. New is a question of semantics. Every day starts a new year for someone (I am thinking birthdays and other significant anniversaries).
    And hooray for happy accidents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in this year of love and covid we can't wish each other happy anything too often.

      Delete
  4. It's hard to go wrong with sausage and cream of mushroom soup.
    You and Bless have me thinking about all kinds of things that I could make with blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like you had me searching for circus boxes of animal crackers today

      Delete
  5. I also love your blocks! And, your dinner sounds fabulous. I'm still trying to figure out how to pull the remaining fridge items into some semblance of a meal. I'm sure we'll all get fed, regardless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dinner accident sounds delicious! I love the blocks too. I'm much lazier, I grabbed a box of kids blocks at a yard sale that I do the same thing with lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always take the most convoluted path. Why buy when I can add 4 more steps to it

      Delete
  7. That meat loaf sound delicious! I just ate, and now I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your letter blocks! Your meatloaf sounds tasty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    That looks delicious!
    Did you get much snow??
    17 inches up here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in Alabama. It rarely snows here. Maybe once every 5 years?🏴

      Delete
  10. I've never thought to use sausage meat for a meatloaf but it sounds delicious - already seasoned.

    The letter blocks are awesome. I love that they can be used at different times with various sayings. I'm duly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sausage meatloaf was really good and even better warmed up for lunch.

      Delete
  11. Gosh I do like those blocks - are they a brain-teaser to figure out which letters to put on them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes they are a brain teaser and if I had half a brain I would number them and make a legend to use just so I would not have to sit down every time and figure out what goes where. But then again I would just lose the legend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sausage might help me like meatloaf. I love Idina! Your blocks are so cute.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to see her long ago in Wicked. She is fantastic!

      Delete
    2. I saw Wicked in Chicago. Sadly, Idina was not in it, but it was still great.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.