Translate

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Oh How Quickly the Dreadful Year has Passed


Woo hoo I am just a tad over one week from re-reading all the joys of this year. After December 31 this year will  be like Voldemort  to me .and I will refer to it as the year which shall not be named. Until that day though I will once again recount the daily joys, because they happen each and every day.


Wednesday: I finally found the bike size I needed to get for a family our Sunday school class "adopted" for Christmas. The family is a single mom with four kids and they are in dire circumstances. We divided them by clothing needs and Christmas wishes.Since I never got to buy girl things when my kids were young I chose toys for the ten year old girl.  I had a great time online shopping for her, but there was a delay getting me the info for the bike size. When I finally found out what size she needed bikes were few and far between, and I could not find one.

Thursday: I am joyful for being persistent when everything told me to give up. One store near me had a delayed shipment of bikes, but not just regular bikes. I was able to order online (for pickup) one twenty inch pink and teal bike with handlebar streamers. We did get there and it was unassembled__bummer! I had to wait until the next day to have it assembled.

Friday: TheHub picked up the bike on his way home from work (He passes right by the store every day)
My new handyman came and did some repairs to the deck and replaced some loose mortar on the front steps. There is a certain joy in getting things done.

Saturday: TheHub fell down the stairs and though he was hurt, he was not seriously injured. We sat in the den, him with ice on his leg, while we watched the SEC championship game. It was a squeaker, but Bama won. 
Also Son3 and DIL3 were able to drive out of the city and made it to Roanoke. They were scheduled to arrive here Sunday.

Sunday: Son3 and DIL3 arrived a little early. Fortunately the house was ready, all the lights were on, everything was sparkly and shiny and we were glad to visit with them for a little bit (wearing masks) until they went to sleep.

Monday: Son3 and DIL3 had rapid covid tests and both tested negative. Hurrah! Now we could walk around the house maskless. The big cookie baking began and the big cookie eating followed!

Tuesday:  This was fudge, buckeye and chocolate covered candy making day! It was a day filled with sweets, coffee and the great companionship of Son3 and DIL2. Also DIL2 found her long overdue green card application is finally making some process. "Bout time!


Christmas sighting Day 23: This is the front door to the house. One of the trees blew a set of lights this afternoon but I am not replacing them tonight. Maybe tomorrow during the day, or I might just ignore it entirely. Time and energy will decide. Meanwhile, come on in and have some cookies, candy, mulled wine or a cup of coffee! 




 

26 comments:

  1. What an exceptionally joyous week, other than your hubs falling down the stairs. I'm so thankful he wasn't seriously injured! Your front door looks gorgeous, don't even worry about the blown lights. I am officially calling 2020 the year we do not speak of ever again - and yes somehow it really has just flown by. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering how such a horrid year could pass so quickly

      Delete
  2. At least Hubs fell down the stairs and not an equally steep ice covered driveway! lol Hope he feels better soon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOTS and lots of joy. Which is wonderful.
    I really like thinking of this as the Voldemort year. It has been that for so many people. Thank you for naming it.
    And have a wonderful, wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and festive entrance to your home! It was a long and terrible year, yet it seems like just yesterday they were shutting down schools early prior to summer break because of Covid. Oh my, how things have progressed since then. Stay safe and healthy and have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Just lost my comment! I really like how you've decorated your entrance and I am glad that your husband didn't get badly hurt when he fell down. Glad, too, that your Son3 and DIL3 arrived safely and they both tested negative. If there was ever a year that needed all the joyful moments it could get, this year was it! I know you will enjoy reading all the joyful moments at the end of this year which shall not be named! :D

      Delete
    2. Merry Christmas to you Lorraine! Hope it is a wonderful Christmas

      Delete
    3. Merry Christmas Bless. We are both lucky to have our kiddos at home this year! Hope your time is joy filled!

      Delete
  5. How lovely that you were able (and willing) to help out that single mom. I'm sure she and her family will be over the moon. And yes, the front of your house is just stunning. Merry Christmas to you and yours Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that your husband wasn't seriously hurt. My husband fell down the steps a few years ago when he was carrying Christmas things to the basement. While he wasn't seriously hurt either, he did bruise a few ribs and break a finger. We spent New Years in the emergency room. But all's well that end's well. He is just fine now but carries smaller loads down the steps these days.

    Your front entrance is just as pretty as the rest of the Christmas sightings you've shown us. I'm thinking about looking for a couple of trees to go around our front door for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found those at a going out of business sale years ago. The lights that were originally part of the trees went on the fritz midway through the first year I used them. I just keep changing bows and adding new lights as needed.

      Delete
  7. You have a lovely and welcoming front entrance. Glad to hear your husband was badly hurt.
    Enjoy your visit, take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am picturing that little girl seeing that bike for the first time. That brought me incredible joy! I’m so glad your hubs was not badly hurt-not all bumbles bounce. Good news in your son and DIL’s beg test. Merry Christmas Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bike was adorable and I am so glad I finally found one! I hope you have a glorious Christmas also.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you so much T'Pol! I know it is not your celebration but I hope you have a lovely holiday!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Nil. Wishing you a wonderful and restful holiday and school break!

      Delete
  11. Sorry about your Husband. How lucky he was not hurt. Have the Merriest of Christmas my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your Christmas is perfect, or as perfect as this weird year will allow!

      Delete
  12. I REALLY like your Tuesday joys... oh, chocolate!!! AND good times with family. Priceless!

    I think I will follow your cue and institute "the year which shall not be named" to refer to this ridiculous monster as well. Pretty appropriate!

    Merry Christmas Anne, to you and your family

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.