Translate

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Swedish Traditions In Alabama






I follow Annie at Tuesday 4 as she asks 4 questions. This week is all about holiday traditions

1. Do you have a favorite Christmas carol and if so is there a particular version you especially like? I love the carol Still, Still, Still. I don't think I have a favorite version of it at all.
2.Do you have a special dinner for the holidays? What foods are included?
Christmas Eve we do take out Chinese. It started with my parents and we have continued it. I thought we would stop this year since Mom is no longer with us, but Son2 has already said he wanted to do it, so I guess we will.
Instead of a big Christmas dinner we do a Christmas brunch. Other than the breakfast casserole things change every year, so no telling what we will have this year. I have not gone through the freezer yet to know.

3. Holiday movies ... which do you like to watch? We watch Christmas Vacation and Christmas with the Kranks every year, together. I have to get my Christmas Carol fix, as well as Miracle on 34th Street

4. What traditions do you continue to keep year after year for the holidays? We have the brunch each year but other.that I reuse decorations from my Christmas stash. I have a lot of items and about half t were not used this year that will be used next year, Anything that was used this year will move to a different place and be displayed very differently.

Christmas sighting Day 22: My beautiful DIL's Mom sent some traditional Swedish tree ornaments along with this beautiful traditional candle stick. I will definitely use it on our Christmas table. I can't tell you how much I appreciate her thoughtfulness and how happy I am they are Nowa  part of our extended family







22 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using alternating Christmas decorations! The new candlestick is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a year of not using them,they feel like new decorations.

      Delete
  2. That is a gorgeous candle stick.
    Our Christmas is in the hottest part of the year. For myself I make a HUGE fruit salad, which I just about live on for a week or so.
    I cook turkey (to be served cold) and make a myriad of salads for other people. And we do the lunch time main meal too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were summertime for Christmas our meal would be a huge salad and possibly something grilled outside.

      Delete
  3. That candle stick holder is beautiful. We're doing Chinese food Christmas Eve as well since we can this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You only have half of your decorations out. You must have a large storage space. How nice that you can add one of your daughter-in-laws traditions to your celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That candlestick is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like it and love having something my Dil is familiar with .

      Delete
  6. Anne,
    I thought that I commented on the candle gift. It is very nice that you received something from her mother. I hope you post a picture of the ornament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sent quite a few traditional ornaments and they are on the den tree. I will probably not post pictures of them because they are scattered throughout the tree.

      Delete
  7. 1. In "Dulci Jubilo," and "Joy to the World." With few exceptions, I find secular Christmas music mind-bogglingly horrible. I want to smack chap of the lips of anybody who sings them. "White Christmas" makes me want to pull my ears off. Jethro Tull has a hell of a Christmas album, though.
    2. Typically a prime rib roast which we pick up at a local butcher, but this year it will be ham.
    3. I like "A Christmas Carol," but that's about it. I like the Alistair Sims version, and the 1970 version "Scrooge" with Albert Finney. Sadly, they are becoming increasingly difficult to find on television.
    4. As the kids get older, our traditions change, it seems, and I'm o.k. with that. Our tree is decorated similarly year after year. I don't like to put a lot of compulsory work into Christmas, because I think that puts pressure of expectations for return--and that's stressful. Hats off to those who can go all out, but if I did, I guarantee you, it would make for a miserable season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Meg! I do love Prime rib, but I make it rarely.

      Delete
    2. Heh. So do I---warm-in-the-middle-red-rare. Merry Christmas. Your house looks gorgeous. Thank you for such a great blog.

      Delete
  8. Pretty candlestick holder! My MIL was Swedish. Miss her great Swedish breads and cookies, but lutefisk at Christmas time was like eating wallpaper and it would destroy silverware! Liked the video, the beautiful voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never eaten lutefisk and probably do not want to!

      Delete
  9. Lovely candlestick holder! I like your idea of displaying things differently each year. I tend to do the same thing ever year, though this year I made a lot of new items.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the change yearly. I got complacent if things are the same year after year.

      Delete
  10. I think I love all Christmas carols except Silent night. It is too high at the end and there is always some soprano that thinks she can sing slurring up to a flat note at the top. Hate, hate, hate it. We have a huge seafood dinner on Christmas eve. Then we eat left overs all day, after I make orange rolls for breakfast. W do prime rib on New Years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an alto so I ignore the sopranos usually. I love Christmas except for The Little Drummer Boy., I was in a Christmas play in kindergarten and we played drums and sang TLDB. I told my kindergarten teacher I had to go to the bathroom right before we lined up to go onstage. She told me to hold it. Got onstage and holding was not an option.

      Delete
  11. The candle and its holder are beautiful.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.